1. Ridcully (7) v Nobby (3)
2. Tiffany (4) v Vetinari (6)
3. Death (9) v Rincewind (1)
4. Magrat (3) v Librarian (7)
5. Nanny Ogg (eight) v Detritus (2)
6. Vimes (10) v Dibbler (0)
7. Susan Sto Helit (4) v Angua (6)
8. Granny Weatherwax (10) v Colon (0)
Last edited by poohbcarrot on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby cols » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Poor Rincewind. I feel bad :( , He deserves more than 1 vote but I don't think he has a hope up against Death
cols

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Well I'm amazed that Ponder Stibbons and Detritus did so well.

And I'm absotely astounded that Greebo, Lu-Tze and Cohen didn't qualify.

And I'm absolutely flabbergasted that Carrot didn't qualify :shock:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:45 pm

Don't get me going on Carrot! :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm

It's a bummer having Susan & Angua together too.
Here are my choices....

1.A
2.A
3.A
4.B
5.A
6.A
7.A
8.A
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:00 pm

I love Carrot!

I thought the last 4 (random drawing permitting) would have been Death, Granny Weatherwax, Vimes and Carrot.

Nobby, Colon, Angua and Detritus all qualified (though how Colon got through is beyond me because he irritates me)

Guards Guards is my second favourite book.

Why does nobody like Carrot?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:17 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Why does nobody like Carrot?

Speaking for myself (of course), Carrot was an interesting character in Guards! Guards! and then for various reasons Terry changed the character. And, in my opinion he changed him too much and made the character too perfect and too inflexible.

Now, if Carrot was to do anything out of character it would really feel wrong. So he's effectively painted himself into a corner with Carrot. And that character is just sooo boring.

Take Angua (what on earth does she see in Carrot?). She's far from perfect. She's constantly fighting with her werewolf side and that makes her infinitely more interesting and useful as a character.

Carrot had become two-dimentional. And I think that Terry isn't too sure what to do with him. That's why he tends to be more of a background character in the Watch books these days. Whereas Angua is right in there.

Interestingly, Terry writes through Angua's mind. That's something he doesn't do to many of his characters. The other one he significantly does that to is Vimes. And Vimes is another flawed, but interesting character.
Tonyblack

Postby TheMole » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Take Angua (what on earth does she see in Carrot?).

:lol: Surely love is a wonderful thing.
What on earth does my girlfriend see in me?

oh, by the way:
1. B
2. B
3. A
4. B
5. A
6. A
7. A
8. A
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Well I'm amazed that Ponder Stibbons and Detritus did so well.

And I'm absotely astounded that Greebo, Lu-Tze and Cohen didn't qualify.

And I'm absolutely flabbergasted that Carrot didn't qualify :shock:

And ditto what Tony just said on Carrot - mostly. I agree that Terry's made a rod for his own back with having Carrot taking the moral high ground all the time, but he does occasionally let him have some interesting side excursions... I was going to say aberrations, but really it's more like quirks I suppose. Like the bit where he goes and does a Laurence of Arabia skit in Jingo. And another bit in Fifth Elephant where he goes AWOL with Gaspode and ends up in a kind of 'Call of the Wild' thingie with the wolves - although admittedly Gaspode carried that whole scenario of course (and I would say that wouldn't I? :cry: ies 'cos the nice lil' doggie didn't stand a chance of getting past Round 1).
The thing with the Watch series is perhaps that there are so many strong characters in there and they can't all be 'whacky', else there's an imbalance and so somebody has to do the straight man thing - and it can't be Vimes because he has to be the Humphrey Bogart hero by default and against the odds. So really it's inevitable that Carrot's earliest exaggerated 'innocent abroad' chariacature role has had to calm down into a more worldly-wise (well street-wise I suppose for A-M) straight man role that all the others can spin off with the unconventional stuff - a bit like Regan and Carter's boss in The Sweeney maybe? (That's on UK Gold or whatever they're calling it this month - so please don't make out you don't know which programme I mean! :evil: )

Ponder and Detritus - I think there's a lot of affection for those two, (especially Detritus who's a really cuddly piece of Rock and his on-off relationship with Ruby truly is gem-like! :P ). I was one of the ones who voted them through so obviously other people see this and in a way they're kind of a more successful 'makeover' of Carrot as they're definitely catalyst characters that really do mesh with and highlight the other lazy and inept wizards or the lazy and inept coppers (well Detritus is a good cop in that he's 'by the book' as far as he can be... :wink: )

But I do agree Pooh that it's astonishing that Greebo, Lu-Tze and Cohen didn't qualify. But they were of course up against stiff opposition...
having said that I would have furious if Greebo had got in when Gaspode hadn't! *goes off to sulk with her own nice little doggie* :x
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Detritus's role in Thud! really did it for me. He could so easily be relegated to a very minor character and the Watch 'heavy', but Terry has developed him in Thud! - given him Brick to look out for and shown that even Detritus has principles that he holds incredibly highly.

His outrage at Vimes over Mr Shine is an incredibly well written scene. And it makes Vimes stop thinking of the good sergeant as some sort of thicko.

No, I think Detritus is an excellent character and well worth a vote. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 pm

1 A
2 B
3 A
4 B
5 A
6 A
7 B
8 A
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Hey Jan, people who don't like cats used to be rats in their previous life :wink: I soooo miss Greebo in this contest.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

:lol: Well actually I like Greebo and Gaspode about equally but Gaspode's more of an underdog :twisted:

Have I mentioned that I really like Greebo when his anthropomorphic field starts going wonky as well? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm

Ten of the regular eleven voters have voted and no matter who the 11th voter chooses, it won't make a difference to the final result.

So it's Quarter Final time. Once again the draw was completely random.

This should be interesting...........

1. Death v Granny Weatherwax (should possibly have been the final)
2. Nanny Ogg v Ridcully
3. Angua v Librarian
4. Vetinari v Vimes (battle of the Vs)
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum