Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Watch out for this one

Postby Ghost » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:04 pm

oh hum I get the most interesting scam mail
got this from my Paypal account

Reference PP-254-854-032-785

Account Status Update Response required
Update account information Upon receipt
Recently, there's been activity in your account that seems unusual compared to your normal account activities. Please log in to your account to confirm your identity and update security questions. To help protect your account, no one can send money or withdraw money. In addition, no one can close your account, send refunds, remove any bank accounts, or remove credit cards. What's going on? We're concerned that someone is using your account without your knowledge. Recent activity on your account seems to have occurred from a suspicious location or under circumstances that may be different than usual.
What to do Log in to your account as soon as possible. We may ask you to confirm information you provided when you created your account to make sure you're the account holder. You should also do the following for your own protection:

Check your account details (address, email, phone, etc.) to make sure they're accurate.
Review your account activity to make sure you recognise the transactions made recently.
Report any unknown or unauthorised activity. Go to the Resolution Centre and click Dispute a Transaction.

Update Your Information
What's next? Once you've completed all the tasks, we'll respond within 72 hours. If you need help or have any questions, call us on 0800 358 7911, 8:00 am - 10:00 pm Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 9:00 pm Saturday 9:00 am - 9:00 pm Sunday, For Claims or limitations, hours of service are: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 6:30 pm Saturday 9:00 am - 6:30 pm Sunday.
Help Centre | Safety Advice
Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page. Copyright © 2013 . All rights reserved.

(Europe) S.a r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Societe en Commandite par Actions
Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-00rand Luxemburg
RCS Luxemburg B 118 349 Email ID PP-254-854-032-785
A bad necromancer always blames the corpse
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:24 pm

I learned about a new threat today - Shellshock. Apparently Linux and Apple users are particularly under threat.
“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Ghost » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:32 pm

ah that explains the urgent update when I checked my computers update system this morning :?
A bad necromancer always blames the corpse
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:56 pm

That's be about for a couple of weeks now Tony not only the first real threat to Linux and Macs but also windows, and they are all scrambling about for a patch, end of Linux etc being relatively safe from hackers. :x Once the script kiddies get hold of it there will be more mutations.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 pm

I'm fairly sure about this one.

I just had an unsolicited phone call from someone claiming to be from "Windows" and wanting to check on problems reported by my computer re a couple of recent crashes (all I've had was a game crash and a photographic program crashing unexpectedly). The screen where it says "The program has stopped responding, Windows is checking for a solution", (or words to that effect) would just go into a loop and I ended up cancelling the search for a solution.

Anyway, the fellow on the other end of my phone asked me to access my PC so he could go through the solution with me. I refused and hung up (my normal practise for unsolicited calls wanting personal information, etc.). There was also something in his tone that made me suspicious in that he sounded like he was trying to read from a script when introducing himself as well (and the fact he didn't call/ask for me by name either).

Does anyone know whether Microsoft contact people by phone without being asked first or is it a scam? I suspect the latter which, when you follow their instructions, freezes your PC until you pay money to have it unfrozen. :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Penners Msoft never ever phone anyone about a problem, you did the right thing in hanging up.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:57 pm

This is a pretty well know scam, Penners. They show you what appears to be a whole bunch of error notices and then upload something that is supposed to get rid of them. That's when it starts to cost you.

“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:03 pm

It's pretty much what I thought but if they are doing the rounds again (don't know if they ever went away actually) it doesn't hurt to remind people. :D

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:03 pm

This one shows you the sort of stuff they do to you. It's a lot clearer.

Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Actually the person who phoned me sounded just like the Indian scammer in the video. :lol:

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:29 pm

I get a lot of calls at mum's from "Microsoft". Heavily accented people calling about "your computer".

I just say "That's clever. I haven't got one".

They usually hang up.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:26 pm

There are rare circumstances where Microsoft will call you:

Will Microsoft ever call me?

There are some cases where Microsoft will work with your Internet service provider and call you to fix a malware-infected computer—such as during the recent cleanup effort begun in our botnet takedown actions. These calls will be made by someone with whom you can verify you already are a customer. You will never receive a legitimate call from Microsoft or our partners to charge you for computer fixes.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/onlin ... scams.aspx

I'd say, hang up. If you're unsure, then ring Microsoft Support itself to make absolutely sure.
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby chillicamper » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:57 am

I keep them on the phone a couple of minutes clicking the mouse (with the computer switched off). Then when they get frustrated that I seem totally inept on a computer I ask them where the on button is. If they don't get fed up at this point then I really have fun and pretend to have confused the computer with the microwave or something similar. I see it as a fun evenings entertainment ;) :roll: :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby cols » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:01 am

:lol: :lol: I get at least 5 calls a month. I just hang up now.
cols

Postby wicked woman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13 am

cols wrote::lol: :lol: I get at least 5 calls a month. I just hang up now.

Me too. But then there's the Lifestyle Survey, and all the other idiots. :evil:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum