Watch out for this one

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Watch out for this one

Postby chris.ph » Sun May 25, 2014 5:51 pm

its legit ghost :!: :!:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Ghost » Sun May 25, 2014 5:59 pm

I thought so but I posted it to let others change their ebay passwords
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Penfold » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Just to let everyone know, I've had my Email account hacked (thanks for the heads up Tony, I realized when I checked my mail just now and read the 'failed' recipients list and mail that I had supposedly sent). I've tried contacting everyone whose Email address I have but I know I have a few of yours so thought I would mention it here just in case you didn't get it.

Please ignore any unsolicited Email from me, especially if it contains an attachment or link without any description, as I would normally PM you instead.

This is the first time that it's happened to me and I've changed the password on my account but is there anything else I should do?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby mirandashell » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Have you done a whole computer scan for nasties? Just in case. These are also a good tools for cleaning your cookies and what not. And they are free from Softonic.

http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
http://ccleaner.en.softonic.com/download
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby hnorwood » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:31 pm

If you use a web browser for your email rather than a dedicated email client (like outlook or thunderbird) then it's quite likely that there is nothing wrong with your PC, as the email stays upstream on a server.
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby mirandashell » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Better safe than sorry, no?
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby Penfold » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:47 pm

I do regular scans anyway but thank you for the link as a friend of mine has an infected computer so she might find them useful. :D
Penfold

Postby mirandashell » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Spybot finds things that your anti-virus won't. I had a problem with a fake warning pop-up that I could not get rid of until someone gave me Spybot. It was really annoying cos it always happened on the same site and I had to shut down to get rid of it. Then 10 mins later it was would pop-up again.
mirandashell

Postby hnorwood » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm

mirandashell wrote:Better safe than sorry, no?

Of course, but when you use a web-based email system - and a lot of them are these days - then not only are your messages held upstream on a server, but also your contacts (address book). So if your password has been hacked, then your address book is open even though your own PC may be switched off.
It is good practice to 1) have a complicated password on your email account
2) change the password periodically.
3) have a back up of your contacts on your own PC

I realise I'm probably teaching you all to suck eggs!
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 pm

hnorwood wrote:It is good practice to 1) have a complicated password on your email account
2) change the password periodically.
3) have a back up of your contacts on your own PC

I realise I'm probably teaching you all to suck eggs!

There's always someone who hasn't heard yet.
By the way, it's also a good idea to have an off-pc backup of your contacts, in case of pc troubles.
=Tamar

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 am

I had a minor fright when I saw that whole eBay password thing, but I haven't used my eBay account for a long time. As in years. I don't even know what the password is any more, and I don't have access to the email account that it was registered to either any more. I didn't have any credit card attached to it either, so that seems fine... :|
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:40 pm

There have been a few scams like that, eBay, PayPal and other big American Co's like Target & Best buy which don't inform their customers very quickly. I changed my log in and password just to be on the safe side, but are a lot of people out to defraud you and it's not going to get any better unfortunately.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:13 pm

'Thumbs Up' for Barclays Bank. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

My mum had her debit card cloned (or similar, I assume) and had a number of items run up on it yesterday. Barclays fraud dept. contacted us this afternoon with an automated machine to tell us of some suspicious transactions but I wasn't sure whether this was a scam in its own right so we hung up and phoned Barclays ourselves. It turns out it was genuine and the card has been fraudulently used to buy several items (totalled between £100 and £200). Fortunately, the people at the bank believed my mum and they are going to refund all the money. :clap: :D

Despite being nervous and not understanding much about this sort of thing (she's 74 tomorrow), she did most of the talking and answering questions herself although I was on hand if she got confused; I'm well proud of her! :D
Penfold

Postby janet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Yay for Penfold's Mum! I'm batting on the Little Old Lady Team too :lol: Ever since I started reading in the local paper about men and women over 60 who are 'elderly pensioners' (eh? what? you're kidding?) I've decided that it's all downhill from now on and I'm going to grow old disgracefully. If your mum would like to join me I'd be honoured Penfold :D 70 is the new 50 don't you know? :lol:
Seriously though, I try to keep in touch with all the folks I know who are my age and older because I know we are regarded as vulnerable and fair game to the bad lads and I would like to put as much hassle between them and us as is humanly possible.
Last edited by janet on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 pm

That's the spirit Janet. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum