Watch out for this one

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Watch out for this one

Postby wicked woman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 am

Quatermass wrote:In the wake of the missing Malayasia Airlines flight MH370, apparently cybercriminals are targeting those who want to know about what happened. Beware.

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=959347

Sick b*****ds.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 am

wicked woman wrote:
Quatermass wrote:In the wake of the missing Malayasia Airlines flight MH370, apparently cybercriminals are targeting those who want to know about what happened. Beware.

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=959347

Sick b*****ds.

The article states that this happened before. They mention the Boston Bombings as another example. :|
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:44 am

A fresh warning. I've been contacted no less than three times over the past week by scammers claiming to be from Microsoft Technical Support. Despite howling angrily at them not to call the home phone again, I don't doubt they'll try again. Bast***s. :evil:

If they do call again, I'm strongly considering screaming gibberish at them. Something along the lines of "THERE ARE NO MACRA! THERE ARE NO MACRA! THERE ARE NO MACRA!!!"

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:05 am

I still get that one now and again. At one stage it was happening around the same time every day. If you go on with the conversation they will tell you that a virus has been detected on your computer and then get you to download a program that will get rid of it "free of charge". Of course, once you download the thing you get endless pop ups tell you that you owe them money.

A neighbour of mine recently fell for this. Only in this case the scam arrived by email. I think I manged to get rid of the program, but we'll see.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 am

The phishing emails (claiming not to be from Microsoft, but from various banks) come in waves of monotonous regularity. We haven't had the calls for some time, and now three of them are turning up at once. It makes me want to reach through the phone lines and throttle them until their eyes bulge out and pop. Yes, I am feeling very violent towards them.

Funnily enough, though the callers are all foreign-sounding, the last couple of calls come from numbers that, according to the area code, anyway, originate within Australia. :|

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 am

Actually, funnily enough, there are very rare occasions where Microsoft will contact you about viruses being on the computer, but they won't charge you for them.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

The best thing to do is to ignore these people, though.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 am

I tend to ignore any unsolicited calls as a matter of course. I am not going to buy anything or even listen to any sales pitch over the phone or at the door. I know in the past that people here have said the these callers are just people trying to make a living, but I see no difference between these people and the hundreds of spammers we delete from this site. They are just trying to make a living too.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Trying to to make a living pestering the crap out of you, one phoned up and I said hang on there's someone at the door and left him hanging, speaker was on after a few minutes he was hello, hello anyone there then sussed he been had by the swearing that ensued,quite made my day. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Watchman44 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 pm

They have managed to take one out......Microsoft scam man is sentenced in 'landmark' case. Somewhat more than "Trying to make a living".
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Lying piece of shit should have been jailed as well, Watchman. :evil:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Thu May 22, 2014 7:05 pm

evil little paypal one
turned up in my spambox
Account Status Update
Response required
Update account information
Upon receipt
Dear Customer,

Recently, there's been activity in your account that seems unusual compared to your normal account activities. Please log in to confirm your identity and update your account information.

To help protect your account, no one can send money or withdraw money. In addition, no one can close your account, send refunds, remove any bank accounts, or remove credit cards.

What's going on?

We're concerned that someone is using your account without your knowledge. Recent activity on your account seems to have occurred from a suspicious location or under circumstances that may be different than usual.

What do I do?

Log in to your account as soon as possible. We may ask you to confirm information you provided when you created your account to make sure that you're the account holder.

Update Your Information

What's next?

Once you've completed all the tasks, we'll remove all restictions immediately.

Paypal always refer to you by your first and last name and note the spelling error
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu May 22, 2014 7:12 pm

I get those a lot :roll: however my paypal email account is only used for paypal so they always spam one of the others I have which is a bit of a giveaway :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Fri May 23, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't have a Paypal account which I also found to be a bit of a giveaway. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby janet » Fri May 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Daughter's friend got clobbered by that one yesterday :shock: She got the message via Facebook....and clicked on it :x
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Ghost » Sun May 25, 2014 4:44 pm

another one but this one I'm not sure about
I know all ebay correspondence should refer to you by your First name
but there is a thing on the main ebay site about password changes
so it's worth changing via the main site just in case
IMPORTANT: PASSWORD UPDATE

Dear eBay Member,

To help ensure customers' trust and security on eBay, I am asking all eBay users to change their passwords.

Here's why: Recently, our company discovered a cyberattack on our corporate information network. This attack compromised a database containing eBay user passwords.

What's important for you to know: We have no evidence that your financial information was accessed or compromised. And your password was encrypted.

What I ask of you:
Go to eBay and change your password. If you changed your password on May 21 or later, we do not need you to take any additional action at this time.

Changing your password may be inconvenient. I realize that. We are doing everything we can to protect your data and changing your password is an extra precautionary step, in addition to the other security measures we have in place.

If you have only visited eBay as a guest user, we do not have a password on file.

If you used the same eBay password on any other site, I encourage you to change your password on those sites too. And if you are a PayPal user, we have no evidence that this attack affected your PayPal account or any PayPal financial information, which is encrypted and stored on a separate secure network.

Here are other steps we are taking:

As always, we have strong protections in place for both buyers and sellers in the event of any unauthorized activity on your account.
We are applying additional security to protect our customers.
We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

Here's what we know: This attack occurred between late February and early March and resulted in unauthorized access to a database of eBay users that includes customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth.

However, the file did not contain financial information. And, after conducting extensive testing and analysis of our systems, we have no evidence that any customer financial or credit card information was involved. We also have no indication of a significant spike in fraudulent activity on our site.

We apologize for any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We know our customers have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Devin Wenig Signature
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum