Wedding Reading

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Wedding Reading

Postby Amykate » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi all,

Random question for ye all... I'm getting marred next year and I'm looking for readings. I'm getting married in my village church, all very traditional but the thought of having that 'true love is something, something and something' reading makes me feel sick...

I love the Terry Pratchett books, I love the way the words flow but I can't think of any paragraph or two that would be suitable for a wedding reading unfortunatly - can any of you? There's not a great deal of Romance is there...

Do any of you have any suggestions of possible readings for a book nerd? Pratchett or anything else? A friend suggested that bit about true love from Captain Correlli's Mandolin (but spelt better) which I think is a nice idea, but I would like to make people smile not cry :-)

Anyhoo - any ideas greatfully recived,

Amy
Amykate

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi Amy - Congratulations! :D

Wish I could think of something - but my mind is a complete blank (nothing new there). I'll try and give it some thought.

You're right about there not being a lot of romance in Terry's books. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm

I just re-read Light Fantastic and that has Cohen the Barbarian getting married to Bethany? (I think?) that he rescued from being a Druidic sacrifice? Definitely not romantic but a true love match as she was a terrific amateur chiropracter and bunion rubber - or something like that... Oh yeah and I think Cohen got one of the diamonds from Grandfather Troll's teeth made into a ring (the rest he got made into dent-chewers :P )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jinx » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:20 am

I guess the paragraph containing the qoute <roughly and possibly inaccurate from memory>"Every marriage is made up of two people who insist only the other one snores." </rapifm> would be inappropriate.

As far as Pratchett is concerned, I can't think of a thing. However I may know of someone else. Not sure how you'd feel about it, but I think I read something by Phillip K. Dick once (needless to say it was quite fantastic). I think it was a short story, but I can't remember the title and I'm not all that sure it was Dick.

I like the part in 1984 where Winston and Julia promise not to betray one another emotionally. <1984 spoiler*): Highlight to view>Of course the problem with that is that they eventually do betray each other in room 101.

* Spoiler wont register on the richter scale, but you never know.
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 am

I think we all read the wrong sort of books. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 am

Here's a romantic quote, but it will hardly have people rolling in the aisle with laughter;

"He needs your strength.......I've watched you together. You give his world a shape. You must be with him ...... You must be by his side. In your heart you know this. You will have a purpose.......There will be no unhappy memories"
- Nation

or what Sam said about his marriage to Sybil (from memory)

"He couldn't do any better, and she couldn't do any worse"
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Erik » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Something eloquent from Mr. Von Lipwig?

I'm sure there must be something suitably nice yet witty in either of "his" books... I'll try to ahve a look through if i get chance when I'm home from work, any excuse to re-read Mr. Pratchett :D

-Erik
The difference between erotic and kinky is using a feather and using a chicken
Erik

Postby Jarmara » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:58 pm

I think this quite romantic, if coloured with Pratchett pragmatisim.

"Sergeant Colon said he thought we'd get along like a maison en Flambe"
"Oh. Did he?"
"And he said something else," she said. "What was it now? Oh, yes 'It's a million to one chance '" said Lady Ramkin, "I think he said, 'but it might just work'"
She smiled at him.
And then it arose and struck Vimes that, in her own special catagory, she quite beautiful; this was the category of all the women, in his entire life, who had ever thought he worth smiling at. She couldn't do worse, but then, he couldn't do better. So maybe it balanced out. She wasn't getting any younger but then, who was? And she had style and money and common sense and self-assurance and all the things he didn't, and she had opened her heart, and if you let her she could engulf you; the woman was a city.
And Eventually, under siege, you did what Ankh-Morpork had always done - unbar the gates, let the conquerors in and make them your own.

How did you start? She seemed to be expecting something.
He shrugged, and picked up his wine glass and sought for a phrase. One crept into his wildly resonating mind.
"Here's looking at you, kid" he said.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm

welcome to the site but i couldnt make a comment on vows my boss reckons i havent got a romantic bone in my body :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:54 pm

And whilst we're with the Watch the one where Colon's supposed to be retiring (can't remember which one though - maybe Jingo?) and isn't looking forward to being at home with the wife too much as they had only been communicating by notes for the last 30-odd years or something? But they'd managed to have 6 kids somehow but they hadn't needed to talk much to do that... :twisted:

So in other words they had a great marital relationship 'cos they were never around long enough to 'have words' - something along those lines anyway... :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:09 am

Feet of Clay, Jan. :wink:
Tonyblack

my fav! makes me smile

Postby mutts1776 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:07 pm

The first question asked is, “Why was he eternally surprised?”

And they are told: “Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. Therefore, he understood, there is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.”

in Terry Pratchett’s “Thief Of Time”
mutts1776

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Welcome to the site mutts1776! :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi mutts

The year 1776 is celebrated by the United States as the official beginning of its nationhood. 1776, MDCCLXXVI, is the number shown at the bottom of the pyramid on the American dollar bill, and on the tablet held by the Statue of Liberty.

Well you learn something knew everyday! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Welcome to the site, mutts :D Are you reading every thread? This one must have been waaay down the list.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum