Discworld Art

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Discworld Art

Postby Jason » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:25 am

LilMaibe wrote:My most recently finished (well, digitally) picture:
Here


Nice. Wish I had some talent in art. Can never translate what's in my head to paper.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
User avatar
Jason
Moderator
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: Reading - England

Re: Discworld Art

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 am

Jason wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:My most recently finished (well, digitally) picture:
Here


Nice. Wish I had some talent in art. Can never translate what's in my head to paper.


First: Thanks all.
And well, I am drawing for 10 or 11 years now and only recently managed to draw hands...
If I shoudl make a recommendation on reading material to those trying to learn:
This one helped me a lot, as the tipps on proportions apply to near all styles.
(Problem is, obviously, that all english versions cost that much :( )
LilMaibe
 


Re: Discworld Art

Postby Anilori » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 am

How cute! :)

This one helped me a lot, as the tipps on proportions apply to near all styles.
(Problem is, obviously, that all english versions cost that much :( )


This is ridiculously expensive :o I've seen "how to draw manga" booklets in most bookshops for much more reasonable prices - but even then, they never struck me as particularly useful if you wanted to draw, well, anything other than manga. (But then, I've bought loads of "how to draw [silhouettes/perspective/hands/horses/armour/etc.] books and I hardly use them anyway, so... ^^)
User avatar
Anilori
Member
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am
Location: In Hades, with the frogs

Re: Discworld Art

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 am

Anilori wrote:How cute! :)

This one helped me a lot, as the tipps on proportions apply to near all styles.
(Problem is, obviously, that all english versions cost that much :( )


This is ridiculously expensive :o I've seen "how to draw manga" booklets in most bookshops for much more reasonable prices - but even then, they never struck me as particularly useful if you wanted to draw, well, anything other than manga. (But then, I've bought loads of "how to draw [silhouettes/perspective/hands/horses/armour/etc.] books and I hardly use them anyway, so... ^^)


Well, the how to draw books by that author (Hikaru Hayashi ) are, as said, very useful, as, unlike some other 'how to draw' books i've seen the lessons there can be, again as said, applied to various styles.
Over here in Germany they cost around 20 euro each, guess the problem is that they aren't published in the UK/America anymore/at all :(

On the bright side, though, the language actually doesn't matter as the drawings are pretty selfexplanatory. So ordering the german versions is an option I dare say
LilMaibe
 

Re: Discworld Art

Postby Anilori » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 pm

20 euros is much more reasonable^^ maybe one of these days if I want to brush up on my German...

(I have a wooden mannequin too for proportions, but it's always been pretty useless, even before it lost an arm; it's much too stiff. I drew a goofy smile on his head and he keeps me company. His name is Charles)

By the way, I'm sorry, I haven't drawn much lately, Discworld or otherwise ; my inspiration level is quite low...
User avatar
Anilori
Member
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am
Location: In Hades, with the frogs

Re: Discworld Art

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I know the inspiration problem. ATM I am just redoing old traditional art (and the ask thing)
(And before I hijack the thread, a last note on the books: It has, in the book on proportions for example a very lovable page on how do draw the characters when they are a certain 'number of heads' high)
LilMaibe
 

Re: Discworld Art

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Look, it's Adrian again (Digital Lineart)
LilMaibe
 

Re: Discworld Art

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Nice one meeps :handgestures-thumbup:

*whispers* slightly perturbed with the upper chest area in that it's looks like he's developing a little bit of cleavage... :shifty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10572
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Re: Discworld Art

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 am

:o Man boobs???? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I personally never date a man with better cleavage than me.....
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Discworld Art

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 am

Anilori wrote:20 euros is much more reasonable^^ maybe one of these days if I want to brush up on my German...

(I have a wooden mannequin too for proportions, but it's always been pretty useless, even before it lost an arm; it's much too stiff. I drew a goofy smile on his head and he keeps me company. His name is Charles)

By the way, I'm sorry, I haven't drawn much lately, Discworld or otherwise ; my inspiration level is quite low...


It doesnt matter Anilori.... I get so much delight every time I see your avatar. LOVE that.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Discworld Art

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 am

Dx Jaaaaaan....
Worst thing: I can't spot the area you mean to fix it.
LilMaibe
 

Re: Discworld Art

Postby deldaisy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 am

LilMaibe wrote:Dx Jaaaaaan....
Worst thing: I can't spot the area you mean to fix it.


Is it the crease above his right hand that is tucked under his left elbow?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Discworld Art

Postby Anilori » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:51 am

Aw, thank you Del^^ I do love my little bird :)

Meeps -> I don't see anything wrong with Adrian's cleavage :mrgreen: However, I feel like there's a bit of his left upper arm missing - it shouldn't disappear completely behind his forearm like this...
User avatar
Anilori
Member
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am
Location: In Hades, with the frogs

Re: Discworld Art

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 am

I see what you mean, Anilori.
I just have the feelign his arm would appear too thick if I draw a bit of the robe there.
And I need to fix his right hand. It's too huge...
LilMaibe
 

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests