Faces to Names

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Faces to Names

Postby Seimimac » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 pm

'...I have been on the receiving end of anti-English comments, but it is always written off as ‘Auld Enemy’ banter. ”'

Scotland, Ireland, France, Argentina, Germany - just 5 of the countries referred to as 'the old enemy' by English commentators and media, whenever they meet up in major sporting events. Any wonder that Scots would reciprocate with the same term?

'But it often does not feel like banter if you are on the receiving end.'

So this guy can dish it out, but can't take it? ;)

I think that banter like this, and it is banter, is pretty harmless in itself, although it stems from a much darker history of conquest and colonisation.

I think the burning of any flag is disgraceful. We see far too much of it here in NI, by both 'sides', and it always angers me. For Scottish football fans to burn any flag for any reason brings shame on those individuals, though not the nation of Scotland, as it wasn't burned by the Scottish parliament. There are idiots in every country who will do this type of thing.

'Or of the Welsh footballers being told NOT to sing the National Anthem during the Olympics?'

Would they have been allowed to sing 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau'? That is, after all, their national anthem? Could the Scots have sung Flower of Scotland? National anthems are a contentious issue on these isles, and perhaps some of the competitors felt that it would be going against their own national identity to sing a song that is seen as exclusively English, especially considering that it used refer to crushing the 'rebellious Scots'?

As to the ABE thing - I see that as pure banter between the different nations on these isles. You subjugated us all at some stage in history, so we give you a hard time at sporting events! That'll learn ye! :D

To see just how much banter it actually is, take a look at the crowds at the Olympics. Were they cheering for their individual nations? Yes. Were they cheering for Team GB? Yes. Were they cheering for Anyone But England? Most definitely no.
Seimimac

Postby Seimimac » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Sorry, meant to add:-

'The makers of Country life English Butter, had to change the advertising and marketing, to declare that it is 'British butter', because the Scots objected to English butter being sold in Scotland.'

Didn't something similar happen in the States, with some places changing the name of French Fries to Freedom Fries, in protest at the French refusing to support the USA in Iraq? Most of the time, nationalism is a tremendously good thing, other times, it's a silly name change to make a silly point...
Seimimac

Postby Toothy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Can we keep this thread on topic, please? There are others more suited to debate of this kind. Thanks. :)
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

A thread on topic? Can we actually do that? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Back on topic -

this is me following the signing of the historic Pram Space Allocation Treaty (P.S.A.T). I'm looking rather pleased with provisions decided upon, whereas my brother is looking at me in some consternation, not quite sure how the final allocation was arrived at and my sister is looking to her advisers to see if some loophole can be found.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Toothy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Dotsie wrote:A thread on topic? Can we actually do that? :?

:lol:
Toothy

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:28 pm

ive got nothing against the english as long as they keep on playing crap rugby ;) if they do improve again then i will hate them :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Toothy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:42 pm

*smacks wrist* tsk, tsk. ;)
Toothy

Postby Conforumist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I thought we had a thread with baby pictures of us? :?
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Toothy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Really? Oh phooey! Never mind. I was planning to break you all in gently to how I look today by a gradual evolutionary approach. ;) The 21 year old Toothy pic might be a bit of a shocker. Just sayin'. (And no, I'm not 21 these days ;) )
Toothy

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 am

Do it! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 am

I think the oldest picture I have of me is from this passport photo from back in the 90s.

Long hair.jpg

:? I used to think I looked so cool in those days. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Adie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 am

I'm on the far left.

Adie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:06 am

Nice picture! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 am

Tony! :lol: :lol: love that picture!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum