Barack Obama 44th US President - Yes We Can!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Barack Obama 44th US President - Yes We Can!

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:52 am

Today is a great day for the United States and a hopeful one for the world. President-elect Barack Obama is an extraordinary man, a new face with new ideas--not bound by the old prejudices and givens about this country or it's place in the world.

I ask for your prayers, good thoughts and help for my would-be adopted country and Barack Obama's and for our chance, together, to improve the world.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:48 am

He won't be doing what the money men behind him tell him too, like the rest of the presidents did then? :?:

Sorry but I have a jaded view of politics........ it is the people you do not see that run the world. :shock:
mspanners

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:36 am

Whatever happens it is a historic day for America. The result is that America has changed forever in its attitude towards colour and race.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:26 pm

It was incredibly beautiful to watch last night. And, there simply are no words to express how joyful I am and what this means for our country. To say that it feels as if our entire nation and by extention the entire world has dodged a bullet would be a gross understatement.

Mspanners, feel free to be jaded all you like. Nothing short of a world ending meteor stike can bring me down, a little skepticism doesn't even come close so there's no need to apologise! :wink: :lol: Just be thankful that you all don't have to witness the goofy little happy dance I've been doing!! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby mspanners » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Well I have lived under Both Left wing and Right wing (Labour and Conservative) governments in the UK during my life and to be honest no matter what they promise they are pretty much the same.

We will do this and that they say until elected and then just do there own thing, or what the people who bankrolled them ask......... corruption is the way of it.

But the people always fall for the razz-a-ma-taz leading up to elections. Sad but true...

No matter which party you vote for it is the Government that gets in and the Government is run but Money men and Civil Servants.
mspanners

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Yes, I can definitely understand those feelings. However, in this country, the administration that holds office can, and often has, made a significant difference in our quality of life, opportunities and international relationships. There can be great differences depending on the outcome of an election. And a few presidents, a very few, can go on to do great things that change things for generations. I believe President Obama has the potential to be one of these rare presidents, even though he's certainly not promising to be. But, if he's not, there is simply no way that he couldn't be an improvement on the Bush administration. So it's truly all good! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:58 pm

i think hes the right man for the times and hope that no extremists dont do anything stupid just because hes mixed race
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby silverstreak » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Obama should certainly be a great improvement on recent administrations.I think that he will have a differant approach to other countries and not just wade in without much thought.The UK government has not been much better in following on regardless on the coat tails of Bush's aggressive adventures.
I certainly agree with Tony's sentiments,and pray that Obama gets wise councelling from his administration.

I think I could be persuaded to part with money to see that goofy little happy dance.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Jarmara » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Oh mspanners, allow one day for heartlifting hope and optimism will you?
It's a momentous day and there's just a chance out there however small that America can leave behind the worst of the last few years and really come into it's own - making a positive difference to the whole world.

Tomorrow, you can be a realist.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby mspanners » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:39 pm

News Headline on the AOL UK page showing His election.

One of His aids has said He may be asking for more troops from the UK and other countries to be sent to Afghanistan......... :?

Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss.
mspanners

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Oh dear. HUGS to you Mspanners! You must be feeling a lot of anxiety. I would suggest waiting to see what actually happens however, before committing yourself to a doomed future.

I'll share some of my joy, hope and optimism with you. It's overflowing here!! :D :D :D
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 pm

silverstreak wrote:I think I could be persuaded to part with money to see that goofy little happy dance.

:lol:
Catch-up

Postby Tiffany » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 pm

chris.ph wrote:i think hes the right man for the times and hope that no extremists dont do anything stupid just because hes mixed race

I agree with you, Chris & I hope he is well guarded at all times.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 pm

I'd like to add my congratulations to all Americans & right-thinking people everywhere. It's definitely a big relief. Although I would rather see Laurel & Hardy get in than McCain & Palin.

Hurrah! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:01 am

Actually I only just managed to catch up on the election news, I've been working in France since tuesday morning, doing 14 hour days with no TV & only sporadic internet coverage. So it's only now that I'm feeling really excited! :D I feel really hopeful that Obama can heal some of the problems brought about by the last administration, that have been felt the world over. I certainly can't imagine for a moment that he will be anything like "the old boss". And I can understand fully why Americans are rejoicing.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum