You show me yours i'll show you mine

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm not sure but I think Houzee en Hoezee have almost the same meaning :lol: (They're old words people didn't bother that much with spelling back then :wink: )

Vimes is called Douwe Flinx in Dutch which is quite horrible
And Making Money is called Geld moet wapperen which is a very horrible title. :lol:

What's wrong with just keeping the title Maskerade? Why change it to Maskeradel? That makes nog sense to me :?

Edit: Maybe the re-editing of the Dutch editions explains why it took 2 years :shock: to translate Making Money
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tristan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 am

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I'm not sure but I think Houzee en Hoezee have almost the same meaning :lol: (They're old words people didn't bother that much with spelling back then :wink: )

Vimes is called Douwe Flinx in Dutch which is quite horrible
And Making Money is called Geld moet wapperen which is a very horrible title. :lol:

What's wrong with just keeping the title Maskerade? Why change it to Maskeradel? That makes nog sense to me :?

Edit: Maybe the re-editing of the Dutch editions explains why it took 2 years :shock: to translate Making Money

I think they were trying to keep the pun. In English, it's Maquerade, but Pratchett made Maskerade out of it.
In Dutch, this "misspelling" can't be translated, so they turned it into... Maskeradel. :lol: I don't bother any more with these Dutch editions. Dunne Hein? Come on! :lol: On the other hand, Meidezeggenschap is translated quite well. Maieerstijd? They like combining two words. Posterijen is also funny...

But Berevaar? I hate it. :lol:
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 am

The first Dutch edition was also called Maskerade. But I also know that Maskerade wasn´t translated by the usual translater so probably he made the re-editing and decided to change the title.

I started with reading Pratchett in Dutch first novel I read was Lemen Voeten (Feet of Clay) At some point I bought Interesting Times in English because I couldn't find the Dutch edition. After that I only bothered with the English editions. :D

I actually don't think the Dutch translations are that bad but I don't like the names they came up with Detritus = Gneisbaard? Baard means beard he doesn't have one :roll:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tristan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:08 am

Well, compared to the Bulgarian translations they aren't that good. But then again, English is the best. ^^
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Yes English is the best 8)
Just got back from Amsterdam (I'm staying in Lelystad at my parents its little over half an hour by train to Amsterdam from Lelystad :P ) and I have Maskerade and Carpe Jurgulum now as well :D oh and the Graveyard book by Neil Gaiman :D
Sjoerd3000

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum