New Room = New Pratchett Corner!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby snowballs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Antiq wrote: I've ordered my ex to build me a custom bookshelf, just for my favourite author.

Ok, let me get this. You ordered your ex to build you a bookshelf and he is going to do it????????? You must be either pretty amazing or pretty frightening.
ADHD isnt a problem it's like having another gear when you need to go faster
snowballs

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm

i made a bloody huge bookcase for some of my books and my mrs said it was too big and i gave it to my parents as they are big readers as well, luckily it didnt cost me anything as the timber was left ver from a job even more luckily it was cut to the exactly the right lengths that i needed to build it bloody coincidence wot :lol: :lol: :lol: and i found a load of 4inch screws and arcitreve in my cellar that matched somehow lol :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby snowballs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm

chris.ph wrote:i made a bloody huge bookcase for some of my books and my mrs said it was too big and i gave it to my parents as they are big readers as well, luckily it didnt cost me anything as the timber was left ver from a job even more luckily it was cut to the exactly the right lengths that i needed to build it bloody coincidence wot :lol: :lol: :lol: and i found a load of 4inch screws and arcitreve in my cellar that matched somehow lol :lol: :lol:

It wasnt the right length for your mrs, bet you have heard that before :D :D :D

What is a arcitreve?, bet everybody knows this but I have not got a clue what it is.
snowballs

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:04 pm

the stuff that goes around your door frame is called arcitreve and can be used in lots of places as mouldings
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby snowballs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:37 pm

chris.ph wrote:the stuff that goes around your door frame is called arcitreve and can be used in lots of places as mouldings

Ok gotcha!!! There are alot of English words I dont know, I've been living here almost as long as I lived in the UK.
snowballs

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 am

Nobody knows that one - chris is a builder, and so is Mr Dotsie, so I know too. I had to pick some out once - who the hell knows what type of architrave they want? :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby btlfannz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 am

Dotsie wrote:Nobody knows that one - chris is a builder, and so is Mr Dotsie, so I know too. I had to pick some out once - who the hell knows what type of architrave they want? :lol:

Anyone who's ever refurbished a room in the house that's all. Outside of paint colour architraves (let's settle on thatr spelling shall we :D ) caused marital #74 when we did up the kitchen :D :D

In classical entablature the architrave (from Italian: architrave, also called an epistyle from Greek επίστυλο, epistylo or door frame) is the lintel or beam that rests on the capitals of the columns. As such, it is the lowest part of the entablature consisting of architrave, frieze and cornice. The word is derived from the Greek and Latin words arche and trabs combined together to mean "main beam". They are mainly used in churches and cathedrals, and other religious buildings. They can also be seen in modern houses.
I have a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. - Blackadder
btlfannz

Postby Antiq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:20 pm

snowballs wrote:
Antiq wrote: I've ordered my ex to build me a custom bookshelf, just for my favourite author.

Ok, let me get this. You ordered your ex to build you a bookshelf and he is going to do it????????? You must be either pretty amazing or pretty frightening.

Er......maybe a bit of both 8) :twisted:
Actually, my ex husband and his partner and their children and me and our children are all on on very good terms. Happy families, they do exist. He is a very good and involved father to our children still. We all had Christmas together :D
Life's too short to waste time lugging around excess baggage.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby pip » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Antiq wrote:
snowballs wrote:

Actually, my ex husband and his partner and their children and me and our children are all on on very good terms. Happy families, they do exist. He is a very good and involved father to our children still. We all had Christmas together :D

Well done Antiq. So i'm moving to a better class of people in Kildare then :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Antiq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:46 pm

pip wrote:
Antiq wrote:
snowballs wrote:

Well done Antiq. So i'm moving to a better class of people in Kildare then :lol:

Can't vouch for the rest of the county, pip :lol: My little patch is currently stable though.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby btlfannz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 am

Antiq wrote:Actually, my ex husband and his partner and their children and me and our children are all on on very good terms. Happy families, they do exist. He is a very good and involved father to our children still. We all had Christmas together :D

Oh wow! Well done Antiq. What a better world this would be if everyone had such an enlightened attitude. Score ten points!
I have a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. - Blackadder
btlfannz

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Finally managed to make some pictures :wink:

Books continued

Second bookcase

All my study books are kept somewhere else :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby DaveC » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Pretty nice. 8)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Good stuff.
Nearly there with getting mine organised. lot of competition though.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 pm

There's a contestant on Countdown at the moment (Adam) who apparently was playing I Spy when he was six years old.

I Spy with my little eye something beginning with A.

Nobody got it. Turned out to be Architrave.

At SIX? :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum