Welcome and Introduce Yourself

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 am

Hi all

I'm Jo, & as far as I can tell I've been a TP fan since the early nineties, when my Dad did his back in & a spotty teenage friend-of-the family lent him some books - Colour of Magic included. If I'd known what a life-changing event it would turn out to be, I would have paid more attention to the date!

TP might be the only author whose books I'm happy to go out & buy in hardback. No way I could wait for the library to get them in.
Dotsie

Postby doc brown » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am

Wotcha Everyone, Doc Brown here aka Martyn the :twisted: Mad Fizzysist :twisted: .

For anyone who doesn't already know me watch out for the HUGs, for everyone that does already know me HUGs :oops: .

Pssssst do we need to wear the straight jackets here?

PS For anyone I missed HUGs

PPS Where is the chocolate stash?

PPPS Oh yes Cadburys, Pop and of course I love Marmite 8)
Hello from the mad fizzysist flatalist
doc brown

Hello

Postby GREEBO » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Im Greebo been a fan for about 10 years read all the books colleted as many as I can get my hands on uk only.
New to this stuff so if I make mistakes go easy on me
GREEBO

Postby angi666 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Hello! I'm Angela; the angi666 thing is the fault of Yahoo after failing to get a sensible e-mail address somewhere in the late 90s.... seemed like a good idea at the time and I have been using it ever since!

I raided the library for a stack of Discworld books back in the mid-1990s just to see what everyone was whittering on about, and have been hooked ever since!
angi666

Postby swreader » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Heavens to Betsy! Leave this page alone for 24 hours and there are more new (and old) friend than you can shake a stick at.

First- Welcome to all you brand new people from all over the world. The most fascinating thing about TP's books is that they seem to find enthusiastic readers almost everywhere. Haven't met anyone from the far east yet, but we're slowly but surely getting most of Europe. And I'm delighted to see more Americans on this board than on any of the other ones I've been on.

What makes Terry so special, I think--and your comments bear this out--is that while what he says is at the initial level--hilariously funny (although figuring out some of his allusions and puns gets really tricky if you're not English & well-read). But what keeps people re-reading is that his books say so much about the human condition. I've told people that I mention him to here that I've seen him compared (by major reviewers from big papers, etc.) to Chaucer, Dickens and Mark Twain. Not bad company to be in.

And to all of you from the CA board--good to see you here too. And I predict that this board, like the CA board will be full of the nicest, craziest, and most thoughtful people you could ever hope to meet.
swreader

Hi

Postby Kirstie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Well hellooo people, Im Kirstie and im a recovering student midwife for my sins :D . I bought wee free men at glasgow airport when my flight was delayed for 4 hrs and by the time i got half way in my family were ready to kill me due to my unstoppable quoting of funny lines. Several months later i had read the entire disk world series and am now constantly hungry for more. Lookin forward to talking to people who genuinely want to listen to my ramblings on TP 8)
Kirstie

Hi

Postby Kirstie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Well hellooo people, Im Kirstie and im a recovering student midwife for my sins :D . I bought wee free men at glasgow airport when my flight was delayed for 4 hrs and by the time i got half way in my family were ready to kill me due to my unstoppable quoting of funny lines. Several months later i had read the entire disk world series and am now constantly hungry for more. Lookin forward to talking to people who genuinely want to listen to my ramblings on TP 8)
Kirstie

Postby DEATHSotherDAUGHTER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Hello there!

Thought I'd get in on this shiney new forum!

My real name is Sanjra, and i have a sneaky feeling that some of us have met before on another TP site..? :D

Ive been a HUGE fan since the 80's!

Im gonna leave it at that for now, 'air of mystery' and such!
..........a girl who knows her pigs will never want for a husband.........
DEATHSotherDAUGHTER

Postby DEATHSotherDAUGHTER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Hello there!

Thought I'd get in on this shiney new forum!

My real name is Sanjra, and i have a sneaky feeling that some of us have met before on another TP site..? :D

Ive been a HUGE fan since the 80's!

Im gonna leave it at that for now, 'air of mystery' and such!
DEATHSotherDAUGHTER

Postby Periwinkle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 am

OMG leave it for a few days and Whoah so many many people - Welcome to one and all ! People I know, People I dont know yet and People I probably may even get to meet at the con or Wadfest or Hogswatch :lol:

Renta is right about the events all being fun in different ways - but mostly it is because of all the lovely people you meet and chat to as if you have known them half your life!!

I look forward to chatting with you all and digressing into silliness and discussions about chocolate soon...

PS Martyn's hugs are grand :roll: :oops: :shock:
Peace and be Wild!
Periwinkle

Postby DEATHSotherDAUGHTER » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 am

:D Hello there Peoples!

Wow! Thought I'd get myself in on this new shiney forum!

My real name is Sanjra, and Ive been a die-hard fan of Sir Tezza since the 80's. My first ever book was Mort, and to this day its still my fave.

I've just read some of the intros, and i think i already know a few of you guys from another forum... including yourself Jason! :lol: HI!

I'll leave it at that for now, 'Air of Mystery' and all that...?!

See ya on the board!
DEATHSotherDAUGHTER

Postby ICL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 am

I think it's the newsletter that brought all the new faces here. It did bring me here, in any case.
ICL

Postby Butcher » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:13 am

Hi Andy. To those that know me i am Butcher to those how don't know me i am still Butcher.

I have been reading Terrys books since 1989 and have enjoyed everyone of them.

I have been to all the events over the years, and have had the pleasure of meeting lots of new friends, and then getting very drunk with them into the wee hours of the morning and on some occasions well into the next day too!

I am very pleased to say that i meet the most fantastic, gorgeous, heat warming goddess at an event and i am please to say that she is now my girlfriend. :D :D :D

Discworld fandom really changed my life. May it do the same for you.
Butcher

Postby Periwinkle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Awwww :oops: :oops: Im blushing now!!!

Also Butcher - who is this Andy you said Hi to at the start of your post????
Peace and be Wild!
Periwinkle

Postby angi666 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:36 pm

ICL wrote:I think it's the newsletter that brought all the new faces here. It did bring me here, in any case.

Me too, thanks!
angi666

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum