Welcome and Introduce Yourself

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby jules58 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:11 pm

:oops:
Hi my name is jules, I am a newbie, got hooked on discworld through the t.v. films Hogswatch, ect, now I car`nt stop, I live half in England, half in Turkey!!! And need anything Discworld!!!!
Jules,xx :lol:
jules58

Postby Twankydillo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:34 pm

'Ow do?

I first got into Terry Pratchett book by sneaking upstairs and stealing them from my brothers bookshelf. It was 15 years ago and I was 8 years old. My brother has never asked for them back - and didn't seem to notice when his actual bookshelf went missing either, which took some crafty pilfering :lol:

I've never been to a convention or anything, but I did used to collect things and they've taken over my bedroom. I have 20 odd Clarecraft figures, I have maps, I have a Feegle an that sodding enormous Unseen University model. My prized thing is Men At Arms signed by Josh Kirby, the illustrator of it, when I went to his house once. I felt really rude when my then boyfriends dad took me round to his house but Josh was so nice to me and showed me all of his paintings, including the then work in progress Thief of Time and had a big rant about Terry Pratchett rip-offs and gave me a cup of tea and signed my book. He was a lovely man, so I prize that now very battered book.

My username comes from an old folk song and I use it everywhere. I just like the sound of it!
Twankydillo

Postby Jinx » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi,
I'm Jinx, and as far as you're concerned that is my real name. :P

I'm a 24 year old from Glasgow. I read my first Discworld novel when I was 19 (The Colour of Magic) and have been hooked on the series ever since.

My favourite quote is "Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten." - Granny Weatherwax Equal Rites
I think this says a lot about me.
Jinx

Postby MerryWanderer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 am

Hello all,

My name is Robyn (also called Puck), I'm a college student living Maryland, USA (born and bred). I was introduced to Terry Pratchett when I was 11 when a friend handed me a copy of The Colour of Magic, and I loved it–though it took me a couple years to get all the jokes. I've been addicted since then.
I've never been to a con, 'cause its amazingly hard to find tickets across the pond that would fit into my budget, but I hope to make it to one someday.

I look forward to future conversations.

Toodily Pipsky
MerryWanderer

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 am

Hi MerryWanderer - did you know that there's going to be a huge Discworld event on your side of the pond next year? :)

The First North American Discworld Convention (with Terry as guest of honour) is taking place in Phoenix, Arizona on the Labor Day Weekend.

CLICK HERE for more details.

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:44 am

MerryWanderer wrote:My name is Robyn (also called Puck), I'm a college student living Maryland, USA (born and bred).

Toodily Pipsky

Hmmm...
I suspect I know you from another site, and I'm not surprised at all that you are a PTerry fan. =P
Jinx

Postby ICL » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 am

Hi, I'm Ingrid and I live in the Netherlands. Bought my first book (Color of Magic) in Stockholm (of all places) years ago, wanting something to read at the airport, waiting for the plane. Needless to say, it was the best 'spur-of-the-moment-buy' I ever did.
ICL

Postby Stibbons » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 am

I'm Andrew and I'm normally to be found on the Cunning Artificer's forum (like many other familiar names I see here).
Given to ponderings...
Stibbons

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:15 am

Hello!

I'm Rodia and I've been a PTerry fan for quite some time now (this line sounds awfully like something you'd hear in an AA meeting... xD).

When I discovered the books, I read nothing else for more than a year. That's how long it took me to get all the books and read them two-three times each. Re-reading the books is just as fun as it was the first time, only I "get" some more details.

I had planned to be in this years DWCon but... Murphy's Law... blahblahblah... Now I get to read about it and sulk.

It's my first time on a PTerry forum. I've always been too shy to write anything. I wouldn't be surprised if my only posts from now on are along the lines of: 'nk you!
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby WitchyPants » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 am

Hi, i'm sarah, i live in hastings, uk. i started reading terry pratchett in about 1989 when i got in to trouble in a private studies class at school cos i had nothing to do and a friend of mine gave me a copy of equal rites to read - have been hooked ever since.

never been to a convention or anything but would definately like to give one a try sometime :-)
WitchyPants

Postby Hegewych » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:37 am

Hi, I'm Carole.
First read Diggers and long time ago and have been hooked ever since.
Its usually a race between me and my other mate to see who can read the next new edition first. Keep em coming.

Looking forward to chatting on the forum
Hegewych

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:38 am

Hello everyone! :D It really is great to see so many new faces amongst the familiar ones.

For those of you that are new to message boards I would say: don't be shy. We were all new at one time. This is a brand new site and as such all the topics will be new. So don't be afraid of posting any questions that come to mind. There's no archives to search through to make sure the question hasn't been discussed before. :)

And finally - if you are unsure, then ask. Someone will be only too happy to answer any questions you have.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby VesuvianRuin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:40 am

Hi all!

New to the forum and looking forward to posting lots.

I can't remember when I started reading PTerry as it was so long ago but sufficed to say that I must have read all his books at least 6 times each! If anyone asks someone in my family about books for me their first answer is Terry Pratchett! (But don't bother buying him any as he's got them all!)

Look forward to getting to know you all better. And as PTerry once signed in my graphic novel version of Mort:

Read it and reap! :D
Nietzsche: "Nothing is true, everything is possible"
VesuvianRuin

Postby Emmers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:47 am

Howzit!

My name is Johan (Nickname = Emmers), from South Africa. And yes, we do read TP at the bottom of Africa..... :lol:
Noli illegitimi carborundum
Emmers

Postby rentawitch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:23 am

50ft queenie wrote:Hello!

I'm Rodia and I've been a PTerry fan for quite some time now (this line sounds awfully like something you'd hear in an AA meeting... xD).

When I discovered the books, I read nothing else for more than a year. That's how long it took me to get all the books and read them two-three times each. Re-reading the books is just as fun as it was the first time, only I "get" some more details.

I had planned to be in this years DWCon but... Murphy's Law... blahblahblah... Now I get to read about it and sulk.

It's my first time on a PTerry forum. I've always been too shy to write anything. I wouldn't be surprised if my only posts from now on are along the lines of: 'nk you!

Yes well dont forget it is not just the Convention there is also Wadfest at the end of August and Hogswatch in Wincanton at the end of November!
perhaps you can make one of those.

The events are all fun in different ways. :)
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum