Welcome and Introduce Yourself

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Nausica » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Hello, I'm Marianne, aka Nausica, I'm an artist in south-west Australia. I've been reading those lovely Discworld books since... er... 1995? I think that's about right. The first I read was Small Gods, from the library, very proud of myself for not stealing it! The first I bought was Guards! Guards!, and it's been downhill ever since. :P I rather like the various Discworld accoutrements available, but alas, funds have restricted me to the books. But they're very good books, so that's okay.

Looking forward to meeting some new people here. :D
Nausica

Postby Metsecman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:08 am

My name is Lobby Lud and I claim my five pounds!
No... its David really. I became a TP fan when a friend lent me a copy of her "Pyramids" In the end I had to buy her a new copy cos my ex-wife tore the front cover in a fit of jealosy. Honestly she only lent me the book! :oops:
Anyway I emmigrated to NZ in 2005 and save up any new TP books to read whilst caravanning around this beautiful country. My whole collection is waiting for me to revisit them when our new house is built.
My step daughter thinks my wife and I are wyrde cos we have a model of Death playing cards with Granny Weatherwax in our bedroom.
There 10 types of people who understand binary: those who do and those who dont.
Metsecman

Hi there

Postby seadragon01 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:03 am

Just DISCovered this site. i'm Ian been reading Terry for longer than I like to recall. I have a deal with my kids . Every Birthday 1 of them buys me the latest Tome from Terry.

Its a good deal I get all the fun at no expense :) :) .

Looking forward to the new title with bated breath
Seadragon
seadragon01

Hi there

Postby seadragon01 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:04 am

Just DISCovered this site. i'm Ian been reading Terry for longer than I like to recall. I have a deal with my kids . Every Birthday 1 of them buys me the latest Tome from Terry.

Its a good deal I get all the fun at no expense :) :) .

Looking forward to the new title with bated breath
Seadragon
seadragon01

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 am

It's really great to see so many fans from all over the world discovering this site and posting here. :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Metsecman, I had a wife like that - she's also now my ex. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby SapphireForgeCat » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:52 am

Hi, my name is Sapphire Forge Cat. People keep asking me my real name but i dont know what they're on about. I'm South African, and the first Discworld book i read was on a trip to England when i was thirteen. It was 'Guards! Guards!' i got it out because i thought "oh cool.. Look.. A dragon. I ~like~ dragons." it was the first book to ever make me laugh out loud. I was hooked. Over the years (i'm 21 now) i've read all of Pratchett books, except the new one (latest one i read was Making Money) and some science fictions i've seen but never been able to get a hold of. Terry Pratchett is easily my favourite author of all time, and all around me know this. (Many around me have converted due to my suggestions and a tendency to lend out my books to potential converts.) Sadly i've never been to a Discworld Convention (sniff sniff) or met Terry Pratchett (sniff sniff) or have been able to get a hold of some shiny discworld stuff (sniff sniff). I've seen Hogfather but not The Colour of Magic.. They're hard to get in South Africa (sniff sniff). I'm here because of the mention in Discworld Monthly (to the editor of that, thank you.. I've been subscribed to it on and off since i was fifteen). And.. Uh.. Well.. Um.. ~sits down very quickly as i've run out of things to say~
SapphireForgeCat

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:59 am

Hi SapphireForgeCat! :D I think Making Money is the last Terry book most of us read as Nation isn't out until September. Of course a few fortunate souls (like Jason, our Moderator) have had advanced copies, but us mere mortals will have to wait. :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby nevermind » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 am

Hi All...... my name is Paul Beattie and I live in Liverpool in the UK

Been interested in all aspects of the Discworld for more years than I like to think about.

Never been to any convention or gathering (to my regret) so the only contact I have with others is the forums or chatting in line at a book signing.

Looking forward to this site developing........... Cheers
nevermind

Postby mogadoh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 am

Tonyblack wrote:Hi mogadoh - Interesting Times would not be my recommendation as a starter. I'm glad it didn't put you off and I think you're in for some real treats as you work through the series. Reaper Man is an excellent book!

Thanks Tony. I am definitely eager to get through them all. I'm trying to read them in order and am for the most part (other than just having read Hogfather and The Fifth Elephant because my brother had them). It'll be nice when i have read them all and can know the Discworld inside and out :D
-----
'A MERRY ABERRANT - An Assortment of Whimsical Words & Capricious Cartoons' available from Lulu.com :)
http://www.lulu.com/content/2614075
mogadoh

Postby SapphireForgeCat » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 am

mogadoh wrote: It'll be nice when i have read them all and can know the Discworld inside and out :D

Wait until you get to rereading. That's the best part.
SapphireForgeCat

Postby simone » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 am

Finally made it- took 15 tries at least, but persistence paid off!
Name is simon (e), working in West Australia at present with R&R in Queensland.
Into most things Discworld- books, figures, pins, stampy things (more coming up tomorrow), much to the detriment of my Bank Account.
Cheers to All, Old Friends and New.

:D :D :D :D :D
simone

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:12 am

Hey Simon! Glad you finally made it! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Watchman44 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 am

Hi, I'm watchman44 aka Chris from sometimes sunny Devon UK.
Got into Discworld long ago, but my first event was the Jamboree, got lured onto tha Cunning Artificers forum by Rentawitch and Perriwinkle while sitting in the beer tent. :D
Hope to meet some of you at wadfest this year.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Annebn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:40 am

Hi I'm Anne, I'm from Denmark, and I'm also on the stamp forum.
I got into Discworld years ago, when a friend lend me Pyramids. Then I read the rest of the books that were out at the time (up to Interesting Times), but completely out of order, because you couldn't get all of them easily in Danish bookshops, at least not back then.
Being a bit far away, I have only been to two event, the last two Hogswatches, and I'm going to the con which is really soon now :shock: :D
Annebn

Postby rentawitch » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi Toothy and Megadoh!
Not long now Toothy :D
Ive got world con with Anna first though!! waves
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum