Welcome and Introduce Yourself

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:08 pm

chris.ph wrote:
Sjoerd3000 wrote:Flat is good :wink: Who likes hills anyway? :lol:

i live in wales sjoerd you cant walk 20 yards without a hill or mountain :lol:

I wish I lived there. Holland is really like the Sto Plains - flat flat flat. :? I love hills, mountains, lakes, nature... Of course, my dream location is Lancre, but still... What are the temperatures in Wales in the summer? And winter? Does it snow a lot there? :D
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby chris.ph » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:12 pm

it is well known for how pleasant the constant rain is :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Cheery » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:19 pm

If you love mountains, come over here to Switzerland.

We have high mountains, low mountains, green mountains, grey mountains, stony mountains, muddy mountains, wide mountains, narrow mountains, snowy mountains...

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THEM!!!!

Just kidding: I like mountains too, I see them every time I look out of my bedroom window, but come here in summer, cause then it's really nice up there. There aren't as many tourists around as in winter and you don't have to stay on queues all the time. And it's not as cold. It can get pretty warm actually. And if you're coming in autumn and there's fog, go up on a mountain. You really have the impression of looking down on a grey ocean, it's beautiful!
Cheery

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:29 pm

I was just wondering, Cheery, do you speak the four official languages in Schwizerland? :D
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Cheery » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Je parle du français, but not very good, schwiizerdütsch und deutsch very good, but i don't speak Romanic or italian.

I'm sure I've confused you now.
Cheery

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Non, non, je vous remercie pour votre réponse, monsier (ou madame?? I never knew which one was Cheery)

I love the French language... I know enough German for basic conversation. And next year I'll start with Italian...

So tell me something about Schwizerland? How beautiful is it really? Because I imagine it's amazing there...

;)
Tristan

Postby Cheery » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Tristan wrote:Non, non, je vous remercie pour votre réponse, monsier (ou madame?? I never knew which one was Cheery)

Madame :wink:

Tristan wrote:I love the French language... I know enough German for basic conversation. And next year I'll start with Italian...

Have you ever tried swiss german? Für lüüt wo's nöd kenned isch's ächt komisch. For people who don't know it it's incredibly strange :lol: Even the germans don't understand us, but it's a kind of german too. But we understand them. :twisted:

Tristan wrote:So tell me something about Schwizerland? How beautiful is it really? Because I imagine it's amazing there...

;)

Well, it's not very amazing for me cause I live there, but I'll give my best.
It's basically flat in the middle and you start to get mountains towards the South and South-East. Everything's basically quite small here (they call Zurich, our largest city the biggest village on earth :lol: ), but the land's very, very closely populated, especially in the flat part, where I live. You don't have any wildlife around here and where there are no houses, there are either small forests or farmland. You only get really wild wildlife in the alpes, in the stony regions, where no one is able to build anything.

Up there you get beautiful little mountain villages, mostly built on steep mountain slopes, but there are also the vallies, where most of the people who live in the mountain regions are. We have some truly beutiful places around here, but the mountains can get really magical, especially in the evenings when the sun goes down. It is something special, even if you've seen it as many times as me. The mountains take on amazing colours, along with the sky and you see how the vallies and the flat land slowly get darker and darker and up on a hill or mountain you're still in the sun... And sometimes you get one or the other glittering waterfall

I feel summer is the most magical and beautiful season of the year in Switzerland (especially the alpes), but that's only my opinion.

What else can I say... North and middle are generally the Swiss German parts, in the South they mostly speak italian or french, west's french and in the east, in a very, very small part, they speak romanic.

Oh, and it's amazing to fly over the mountains with the plane. Well, also driving through the alpes with a car or train is very nice. You can choose. :D If we don't have necesseraly have to go through tunnels, we always take the pass, because it's a lot more fun :D

Now tell me something about Holland. I'm curious. I'm sure you have beautiful things over there too.
Cheery

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

chris.ph wrote:
Sjoerd3000 wrote:Flat is good :wink: Who likes hills anyway? :lol:

i live in wales sjoerd you cant walk 20 yards without a hill or mountain :lol:

I like mountains too (there unique to me :wink: ) I'm already getting excited when ther's a Molehill in the garden :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Well I can answer that too :wink: Holland is mostly flat only in the south there are some hills. Our biggest Hill is something like 300 metres high :wink: . Most of the west of the country is below sea-level. My parents actually live on want used to be the bottom of the sea :) (in the Flevopolder) In the North we have the Frisians who have a language of there own (If you say it's not a language but a dialect they get very angry :wink: ) To the south (below the big rivers) they speak with a soft g (normally Dutch is spoken with a hard g). Groningen (where I live and study) is one of the best places to be, the pubs have no closing time :D

By the way Holland only refers to the west of the Netherlands so the Frisians are also upset when you say they live in Holland :wink:

Just checked it the biggest hill in the Netherlands is the Vaalserberg in the southern most part of The Netherlands in Limburg it is 322 metres high.
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Cheery » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:Well I can answer that too :wink: Holland is mostly flat only in the south there are some hills. Our biggest Hill is something like 300 metres high :wink: . Most of the west of the country is below sea-level. My parents actually live on want used to be the bottom of the sea :) (in the Flevopolder) In the North we have the Frisians who have a language of there own (If you say it's not a language but a dialect they get very angry :wink: ) To the south (below the big rivers) they speak with a soft g (normally Dutch is spoken with a hard g). Groningen (where I live and study) is one of the best places to be, the pubs have no closing time :D

By the way Holland only refers to the west of the Netherlands so the Frisians are also upset when you say they live in Holland :wink:

Yes, I know that. It's like saying to someone from Lucerne, he lived in Zurich, because they're two separate parts in Switzerland. Lucerners don't like us Zurchers. I don't have a problem with it, because I've been born in Lucerne :lol: . They usually shut up if I tell them :lol: .
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm

I've learned to say 'Netherlands' instead of 'Holland' as my Dutch friend tells me off. :lol:

Actually, I was surprised at how hilly it was there - but that was down around Maastricht.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Well, Holand is just plain and boring. Well, they are nice things (there is so much water here), but I kind of miss the huge forests, the mountains, the waterfalls... The climate here is also really strange, it's so... wet... It always rains here... And there's never much snow/sun, there are allmost no weeks without rain. Ah well... I guess you can't have everything...

Bulgaria is a far more beautiful country, although everything what is and was beautiful is being destroyed right now (some people want to have a 5 star hotel everywhere, which the average Bulgarian can't afford). They are fantastic mountains out there (just as you described them), valleys, a beautiful sea (it was, now theres allmost no sand: it's all about buildings), and a huge cultural past: Bulgaria has been a country for over 15 centuries. :)
But as I said, everything is being ruined there (or if it isn't, it will be in the next 20 or something years). So I would prefer to see the mountains of Schwizerland, mind you. I just want to be somewhere high (but as you said, only cold in the winter), close to a lake, or a beautiful river or a stream. A place, from where I can see the beautiful country, but without any people around. A place where you can find your innerself, and feel the nature...

You are starting that idyllic talk again!

No, I'm not, Perdita! :lol:

Ah well, excuse me. Such a place is hard to find, but I'd love to live somewhere in a village. Then I'll go strolling every day, and wherever I find a beautiful, untouched place I'll lay on the grass and read Pratchett. :mrgreen:

Sorry you had to hear this whole mountains-love story. But I love the city too. Because of the book shops. And cinemas. :D

I hope I'll visit Schwitzerland some day. As you say, in the summer, I totally agree with you...
Tristan

Postby Cheery » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:07 pm

Yes, nothing goes over your home country, doesn't it? If you go away... Everyone gets homesick every now and then. Except if you've lived in a war in your home country, then you probably won't want to come back :? .

I love my country and I'm proud to be Swiss, even though a lot of people around here are very small-minded and old-fashioned :?
Cheery

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I've learned to say 'Netherlands' instead of 'Holland' as my Dutch friend tells me off. :lol:

Actually, I was surprised at how hilly it was there - but that was down around Maastricht.

Around Maastricht is the only hilly terrain in the Netherlands :wink: And well we don´t have beatifull landscapes overhere (unless you find a flat landscape beautifull :wink: ) But there are a lot of nice cities. Maastricht is very nice for example :D
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 pm

It is a long time since I've been in Switzerland Cheery stopped between Luausanne and Montreux for two or three days,rode my bike through French & Italian Alps through the Grand St. Bernard Pass on to Koln and Ravenberg then back to the UK. Wonderful scenery viewed from a bike from some of the passes. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum