Postby deldaisy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
deldaisy wrote: Every week I do a jewellery store

In a balaclava with a sawn-off?

:D :D :D
Inna dress and wiv a microphone....
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Almost all Roman numeral clocks have IIII instead of IV. If that is what the guy is on about del, tell him this:

Calendars and clocks

Clock faces that are labelled using Roman numerals conventionally show IIII for four o'clock and IX for nine o'clock, using the subtractive principle in one case and not the other. There are many suggested explanations for this, several of which may be true:

Louis XIV, king of France, who preferred IIII over IV, ordered his clockmakers to produce clocks with IIII and not IV, and thus it has remained.

Using the standard numerals, two sets of figures would be similar and therefore confusable by children and others unused to reading clockfaces: IV and the VI; and IX and XI. Since the first pair are additionally upside down on the face, an added level of confusion would be introduced. It is used to make greater character distinction between them by using IIII and VI

The four-character form IIII creates a visual symmetry with the VIII on the other side, which the two-character IV would not.

With IIII, the number of symbols on the clock totals twenty Is, four Vs, and four Xs, so clock makers need only a single mold with a V, five Is, and an X in order to make the correct number of numerals for their clocks: VIIIIIX. This is cast four times for each clock and the twelve required numerals are separated:
V IIII IX
VI II IIX
VII III X
VIII I IX
The IIX and one of the IXs are rotated 180° to form XI and XII. The alternative with IV uses seventeen Is, five Vs, and four Xs, requiring the clock maker to have several different molds.

Only the I symbol would be seen in the first four hours of the clock, the V symbol would only appear in the next four hours, and the X symbol only in the last four hours. This would add to the clock's radial symmetry.

Many clocks use IIII because that was the tradition established by the earliest surviving clock, the Wells Cathedral clock built between 1386 and 1392. It used IIII because that was the typical method used to denote 4 in contemporary manuscripts (as iiij or iiii). That clock had an asymmetrical 24-hour dial and used Arabic numerals for a minute dial and a moon dial, so theories depending on a symmetrical 12-hour clock face do not apply.

And yes, I have watched Grumpy Old Men and usually agree with everything they say. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Almost all Roman numeral clocks have IIII instead of IV. If that is what the guy is on about del, tell him this:

Calendars and clocks

Clock faces that are labelled using Roman numerals conventionally show IIII for four o'clock and IX for nine o'clock, using the subtractive principle in one case and not the other. There are many suggested explanations for this, several of which may be true:

Louis XIV, king of France, who preferred IIII over IV, ordered his clockmakers to produce clocks with IIII and not IV, and thus it has remained.

Using the standard numerals, two sets of figures would be similar and therefore confusable by children and others unused to reading clockfaces: IV and the VI; and IX and XI. Since the first pair are additionally upside down on the face, an added level of confusion would be introduced. It is used to make greater character distinction between them by using IIII and VI

The four-character form IIII creates a visual symmetry with the VIII on the other side, which the two-character IV would not.

With IIII, the number of symbols on the clock totals twenty Is, four Vs, and four Xs, so clock makers need only a single mold with a V, five Is, and an X in order to make the correct number of numerals for their clocks: VIIIIIX. This is cast four times for each clock and the twelve required numerals are separated:
V IIII IX
VI II IIX
VII III X
VIII I IX
The IIX and one of the IXs are rotated 180° to form XI and XII. The alternative with IV uses seventeen Is, five Vs, and four Xs, requiring the clock maker to have several different molds.

Only the I symbol would be seen in the first four hours of the clock, the V symbol would only appear in the next four hours, and the X symbol only in the last four hours. This would add to the clock's radial symmetry.

Many clocks use IIII because that was the tradition established by the earliest surviving clock, the Wells Cathedral clock built between 1386 and 1392. It used IIII because that was the typical method used to denote 4 in contemporary manuscripts (as iiij or iiii). That clock had an asymmetrical 24-hour dial and used Arabic numerals for a minute dial and a moon dial, so theories depending on a symmetrical 12-hour clock face do not apply.

And yes, I have watched Grumpy Old Men and usually agree with everything they say. :lol:

Ohhhhhhhh you are so clever. Thanks Tony. Well apparently the confused numbers in on ONE side only and I know it isn't 4. Will take a pic of the clock faces this weekend have a good look when I am NOT concentrating of IV reasons your should buy this diamond ring.

And yes, I have seen Grumpy Old Women too... none of who look old at all, and all of whom i agree with.
deldaisy

Postby MasterIggy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Check this out:

It's actually mailbox if you didn't know!
I found it right here weird mailboxes

Seriously, what do you think why do people do such weird things? :lol: :lol:
MasterIggy

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 pm

:lol: Love it! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:23 am

I always thought this image was very Discworldish

deldaisy

Postby pip » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:22 pm

My new House -

'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby wicked woman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm

deldaisy wrote:
Sjoerd3000 wrote:Polar bears don't live near penguins :lol:

That would explain the handbag Sjoerd.... they have just flown in from the South Pole... thats her "carry-on luggage". :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She won't even get her choc bars in a bag that size. :roll:
wicked woman

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Image[/img]
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Now THATS a pothole!
deldaisy

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:47 pm

MasterIggy wrote:Check this out:

It's actually mailbox if you didn't know!
I found it right here weird mailboxes

Seriously, what do you think why do people do such weird things? :lol: :lol:

Ahhh, I just got stuck looking at the mailbox site for aaaaages.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby AMCW177 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:28 am

Close-up of top corner
Last edited by AMCW177 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMCW177

Postby michelanCello » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:34 am

OMG, Nobby makes these? :shock: And you're still alive?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum