How Terry has changed my life

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby cols » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi there freddy. it's nice to hear how Discworld is playing such a positive role in your life. My mum also has fibromyalga . so i have some idea of what you must put up with.
Happy Hogswatch to you and everyone on the forum :D :D
cols

Postby bogieman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:24 am

I am going to say that Terry's books did for me all the things the others got from him but the reading bit was and still is hard through dyslexia. I have migrated to the Audio books rather than the written word and have a program that reads web pages and text files to me. Don't get me wrong I can read it just takes time. The spell checker in FireFox is also a blessing and helps you read what i type :D

The difference is it was more than the writings of Terry it also comes down to the people (that's you guys). The people who are Pratchett'ites are a different breed to all the other people in the world.I joined my first Forum in 2005 and then another in 2007. The people (my friends) encourage everyone and I took the encouragement and have done things that I never deemed possible. I have an active web "thebogieman" page that comes up as the 8th search in google and I have a book of poetry published by lulu dot com. Without you people out there reading this I could never have done this.

Thank you.

All of you.
bogieman

Postby Dotsie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:14 am

I'm feeling all warm :D I'm sure Terry would be especially pleased to hear things like that.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Cohans Mum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:26 pm

I can't say that he has changed my life, but his writings have certainly enriched it.

If I could say one thing to him it would be:

Thank you Terry, for many happy hours in the bedroom!

After completely "corpsing" for 10 minutes straight, complete with shrieking, tears and uncontrollable giggling whilst travelling alone on a train in a crowded carriage, the bedroom is the safest place to read.
Cohans Mum

Postby Calon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm

I can identify with the corpsing thing ..I was in a trendy bar one lunch time(I was hopelessly lost) and i ordered a beer sat down and started reading Witches Abroad .I'd just bought it . I sat there crying with laughter, to say I had odd looks is an understatement. If Terry Pratchett books have given me anything they've reminded me about our ability and duty to question things. Not to accept the usual but to look for the unusual and love it. I hope that made sense. :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Sir Terry Pratchett.
Calon

Postby DivingBudgie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Cohans Mum wrote:
After completely "corpsing" for 10 minutes straight, complete with shrieking, tears and uncontrollable giggling whilst travelling alone on a train in a crowded carriage, the bedroom is the safest place to read.

While not a PTerry book I did that once on a train when a character I adored was killed off, I could see it coming and as I fervently read I was say "No No!! you can not kill him." Thank goodness it was ages ago and a weird short blonde female wearing a black akubra festooned with two koalas and badges from her travels sitting in a crowded train in Scotland did not have people running screaming. Especially as after the author killed him I shut the book in frustration (only then to realise most of the train was watching me) :oops:
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
DivingBudgie

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum