Show us yer pets!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Show us yer pets!

Postby Catch-up » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:19 am

Penfold wrote:
Catch-up wrote:What?! You mean people scoop it into bags then just leave it on the sidewalk?

I often see the bags of poop tied to fences or hedgerows when walking out in the country instead of the owners taking it home with them for proper disposal. :evil:

That's so wrong. Of course there are some people around here who obviously have not even bagged the poo. Another :evil: . Nothing like when we were in Paris though. That city was a poo minefield!

Mycroft, that is one happy dog. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:15 pm

t actually makes more sense to leave the poop on the floor as, at least it will biodegrade quicker than putting it a bag. But picking it up and disposing of it is by far the best option.

Leaving the bags behind makes no sense at all. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 pm

ive got to take bloody carrier bags when i take troy out :roll:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Best solution IMO is training your dog not to do it on walking pathways and then indeed letting nature take its course is by far the best and most environmentally friendly solution. ;)
Selkie wrote:Awww - happy puppy! :)

One happy 10 years old puppy,she'll be 11 next March. ;)
If you want to see her happy,check this out :

:romance-heartsfade:
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Selkie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:12 pm

It's like catnip for dogs :) Our old dog used to love rolling in otter spraint - it stinks!!! But she absolutely adored it.
Selkie

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:16 am

chris.ph wrote:ive got to take bloody carrier bags when i take troy out :roll:

And don't forget the shovel! :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 am

Mycroft Vimes wrote:Best solution IMO is training your dog not to do it on walking pathways and then indeed letting nature take its course is by far the best and most environmentally friendly solution. ;)

Anywhere dogs go is likely to be where people walk and children play. Ruined shoes and Toxocara aside, carnivores' poop attracts rats.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:34 am

I used to work with a woman who had been blinded in one eye from something she caught from dog poo when she was a small child.

I wasn't advocating letting dogs poop and not picking it up in my earlier post, I was just suggesting that it was more logical than putting it into a bag and leaving it. The ideal thing is to put it into a bag and dispose of it properly.
Tonyblack

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 am

Mycroft Vimes wrote:Best solution IMO is training your dog not to do it on walking pathways

My dog standard poopes in places either dedicated to dogs pooping or so far of the path,your shoes will be perfectly safe! ;)
(And when one of my dogs leaves something on a path or in a field designated for play and recreation i naturally will relocate the poo.)
I just question spending quite a lot of resources in 'cleaning up'(it still has to go somewhere) when mother natures does it so much better and quicker when left alone.
Also,besides all the undomesticated wildlife,there are quite a lot of horses and cats doing their business outside,will they be required to take bags with them,i wonder... :P
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 am

Tonyblack wrote:I used to work with a woman who had been blinded in one eye from something she caught from dog poo when she was a small child.

I wasn't advocating letting dogs poop and not picking it up in my earlier post, I was just suggesting that it was more logical than putting it into a bag and leaving it. The ideal thing is to put it into a bag and dispose of it properly.

That's Toxocara, a parasite that can live in the eye when transmitted to humans. I understood your post perfectly ;) I was just disagreeing with Mycroft that to leave it is the best thing to do. Wherever the dog poops, rain can wash the parasites onto paths and into play areas. The best thing to do is to bag it and put it in the bin - not to do so is breaking the law anyway!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 am

BTW, trying to police cat poo is obviously impractical, and they don't transmit Toxocara. Cat poo is only dangerous to unborn foetuses (Toxoplasma, a usually mild and common infection caught in ways other than contact with cat poo).

Herbivore poo doesn't attract rats, and isn't dangerous unless you fall over it/skid in it.

Poo lesson over!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you Miss Felicity Beedle! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 am

:D

An inescapable side effect of studying microbiology is that you get to know a lot about poo. And I suppose if you like poo, you also get to learn a bit of microbiology!
Dotsie

Postby Del » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Dotsie wrote:Anywhere dogs go is likely to be where people walk and children play. Ruined shoes and Toxocara aside, carnivores' poop attracts rats.

That's Toxocara, a parasite that can live in the eye when transmitted to humans.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... see I knew that. :D

I always feel that little bit smarterer when I know something "biological-like" wot Dotsie knows.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 am

Dotsie wrote:Herbivore poo doesn't attract rats, and isn't dangerous unless you fall over it/skid in it.
Poo lesson over!

We used to have (dried) horse poo fights as kids. We'd build barricades and have massive fights. More than once I got sat on by one brother who'd smash it into my face. I rarely get sick, I think my childhood pastimes might've helped.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum