Show us yer pets!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Show us yer pets!

Postby cheery_j. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Oooooh! The Kakapo! Don't get me started on the Kakapo!

Maybe this video will help you get over the disappointment of probably not seeing one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY

There's a third type of parrot in NZ that is much less famous than the other two: the Kaka. IF you want to see those, go to Mount Bruce. It's a lovely place that Melissa recommended to us. Oh, and if you do go there you simply MUST stay here: http://www.thehut.co.nz/! I know you guys will love it.
We never saw Kiwis in the wild, but at the Hut we heard them calling in the night... :D
cheery_j.

Postby AuntyVague » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 pm

cheery_j. wrote:Maybe this video will help you get over the disappointment of probably not seeing one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY

We did see 'Last Chance to See' a couple of years back and fell in love with the Kakapo on the spot, but of course, not so much as the Kakapo fell in love with Mark Carwardine :shock: That was a tricky one to explain to Vaguette at the time :lol:

cheery_j. wrote:There's a third type of parrot in NZ that is much less famous than the other two: the Kaka. IF you want to see those, go to Mount Bruce. It's a lovely place that Melissa recommended to us. Oh, and if you do go there you simply MUST stay here: http://www.thehut.co.nz/! I know you guys will love it.
We never saw Kiwis in the wild, but at the Hut we heard them calling in the night... :D

Would love to see the Kaka and of course the Kiwi too...but I do have a recollection of you telling me about staying somewhere where you had to cart all your belongings for miles up hill and down dale along a goat track and fill up the outdoor bath with water you heated indoors...somehow the link you posted reminds me of that conversation. Can't imagine why that would be :think:

Del wrote:There were a few trees here and there dotted miles apart in the paddocks (where the lookout sat). He got so damn upset about losing his crop and not being able to get rid of the cockatoos that he went out one weekend with a load of dynamite and blew up every tree. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Am I right in guessing he was the sort of boss that no one wanted to make angry?
AuntyVague

Postby cheery_j. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:28 am

AuntyVague wrote:not so much as the Kakapo fell in love with Mark Carwardine :shock: That was a tricky one to explain to Vaguette at the time :lol:
:lol:

AuntyVague wrote:but I do have a recollection of you telling me about staying somewhere where you had to cart all your belongings for miles up hill and down dale along a goat track and fill up the outdoor bath with water you heated indoors...somehow the link you posted reminds me of that conversation. Can't imagine why that would be :think:

Yepp, that's the place.
Did I really forget to mention that on the way back down we had to wade through a little river? Barefoot? In winter?
I hope you remember that we sounded as if we would go back to that place right now if it wasn't a bit difficult to get back to work in time. ;)

You can see the hut in two of the pictures, the other is what you can see when you look down:

No, no. I'm not trying to influence you at all!!

Del wrote:There were a few trees here and there dotted miles apart in the paddocks (where the lookout sat). He got so damn upset about losing his crop and not being able to get rid of the cockatoos that he went out one weekend with a load of dynamite and blew up every tree. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :?
cheery_j.

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 am

Wow! What an incredible place. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:54 am

That picture with the sheep... Are they those mountain sheep that are bred with the short legs on one side? And when you need to round them up you just turn them the other way and they roll down the hill?? A Scotsman told me about them one time.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby meerkat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:31 am

Cheery! That is a wonderful place! Do you rent it out?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby cheery_j. » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 am

My grandpa used to tell me that about a neighbour's chickens. :D
cheery_j.

Postby Penfold » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:That picture with the sheep... Are they those mountain sheep that are bred with the short legs on one side? And when you need to round them up you just turn them the other way and they roll down the hill?? A Scotsman told me about them one time.

That would be wild haggis you're thinking off. :whistle:

That place looks absolutely stunning! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby AuntyVague » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 am

Oh Cheery, that does look magical. OK, I'm sold on it. But you have to come and carry Vaguette up the hill!
AuntyVague

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:22 am

lovely place cheery :)
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby cheery_j. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 pm

AuntyVague wrote:Oh Cheery, that does look magical. OK, I'm sold on it. But you have to come and carry Vaguette up the hill!

I'm tempted! Looking at those pictures made me want to go back...
cheery_j.

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:07 am

And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 am

Wow. Great pics, GS. Are they yours? (The cats, not the pics!).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am

Soooo cute! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby HazelRah17 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 am

My pictures aren't as good, but this is my funny little cat.
HazelRah17

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum