Weather - or not!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Weather - or not!

Postby Penfold » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I always have a window or three open enough to let the air through Winter or not ,at the moment they are not closed night or day.

During a heatwave, its also a well known fact for us Brits that air conditioning units work much better with all the windows open. ;) :lol:

That's a lovely picture and a very unusual cloud formation, Sister, did you take it yourself? :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:51 pm

It's supposed to hit 99F/37C today. Trying to decide if we should stay inside or go to the beach for at least a short outing this morning before it gets too hot.

Del, unfortunately where we live we can go several months without being able to open the windows and get fresh air. :( In the winter it's usually just too cold. I love when spring hits and I can get those windows open. If we're lucky we can at least open them in the evening in the summer, but if we have a really hot run, they stay closed. Then we get to keep them open a lot in the fall. I would love to get fresh air year round.

Sister J, such a cool picture! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Tesco seems to have given up on a summer this year. I got a pair of shorts this morning reduced from £16 to £8. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Downpour and flood! Had to jump a stream to cross the road, 2 hours later it had all disappeared but the granddaughters school has had floods in nursery and the canteen and tiles of the roof. Plus water has got into the loft and nobody knows where it is now.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Perhaps it has gone to the cinema? ;) ;) :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby wicked woman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:36 pm

:roll:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Antiq » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Floods etc.
The somewhat tropical weather has my garden erupting in mad vegetation :lol: I think some of it might attempt to eat me if I approach it.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Do you have a Triffid in the garden then. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Thunderstorm. Before that it was quite hot and humid.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby janet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Thunderstorm this afternoon which came and went neatly so I got out of the van to finish cutting someone's lawn only for the heavens to open again. Parked the mower and ran for the van. Decided to nip along home for a cuppa till it stopped. Best decision of the week. Rain isn't the word! It was biblical :pray: In the few minutes it took to get home the whole village was under water. Rounded the corner of our road and lightning struck very close to our house....I saw it :shock:
Daughter had the door open for me but water was building in our back yard so quickly we had to move fast to stop it getting in the house. Where's a sandbag when you need one? Luckily two old hearth rugs were waiting to be taken to the tip and were just the right size to push across the doorstep. They did the job - just :roll: Nothing to do but watch the drains slowly cope with the extra surface water and the flood recede. Just too much water and no sewerage and none of it in the house.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby wicked woman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 pm

janet wrote:Thunderstorm this afternoon which came and went neatly so I got out of the van to finish cutting someone's lawn only for the heavens to open again. Parked the mower and ran for the van. Decided to nip along home for a cuppa till it stopped. Best decision of the week. Rain isn't the word! It was biblical :pray: In the few minutes it took to get home the whole village was under water. Rounded the corner of our road and lightning struck very close to our house....I saw it :shock:
Daughter had the door open for me but water was building in our back yard so quickly we had to move fast to stop it getting in the house. Where's a sandbag when you need one? Luckily two old hearth rugs were waiting to be taken to the tip and were just the right size to push across the doorstep. They did the job - just :roll: Nothing to do but watch the drains slowly cope with the extra surface water and the flood recede. Just too much water and no sewerage and none of it in the house.

:shock: Glad the lightning missed and you didn't get flooded out janet.
wicked woman

Postby janet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:00 pm

As a PS. I think the lightning hit....... a branch of an elder tree close to the house has been felled and it was quite healthy being covered with elderflowers at present, and even closer, the whole middle section of the ivy which was growing almost to the roof on our gable end and had been home to several bird families this year has been pulled off the wall and is now hanging in a great arch waiting for us to chop it up.
Sad to say that there might even have been an odd nest still in use there. There was quite a site meeting of various small birds close to the house when the storm had passed and we left them to attend to their own troubles but not before Gilly found a tiny egg stuck with the rain water to a leaf. I know that a family of goldfinches have nested this spring and fledged successfully (first time ever and such a thrill for me to see) and we always have sparrows, robins, blue tits and great tits. There is still some of the ivy left so I hope the disruption to various bird famlies has been minimal.
janet

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 am

Penfold wrote:That's a lovely picture and a very unusual cloud formation, Sister, did you take it yourself? :D

No, the WWW helped me there ;). Have been to Sweers Island though to watch the Morning Glory. One of the best things I've seen in my life.

Dug, I could tell you what the blue stuff is but then there'd be tears and accusations of lying and we really don't want to go down that road.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 am

ChristianBecker wrote:Thunderstorm. Before that it was quite hot and humid.

Well, that was a a hell of a thunderstorm in terms of quantity. It was going on all night until this morning around 6:30. And it poured down intermittently between periods of plain rain.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby janet » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Not far from here yesterday........ :shock: :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Cd9 ... =endscreen
janet

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum