Going Postal on Sky

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Going Postal on Sky

Postby Kittycat1977 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Have just seen an advert for Going Postal on Sky so should be on in next few weeks.

I think I am going to give it a go, I watched Hogfather and enjoyed it but could not watch Colour of Magic. Watched first 10 mins then had to turn over. I tend to have very fixed views about what I think characters should be like and the interpretation in Colour of Magic just didn't do it for me.

Had a very similar problem when they turned Kathy Reichs books into the tv series Bones as the main character was completely changed and her love interest in the book (I admit it I quite fancied him :oops: ) was not in it at all, very upsetting. :(
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 am

I haven't seen Bones, but I know that Kathy Reichs has a lot of say in the making of the show. It's only very losely based on the books - the main character is a lot younger for a start. So I don't think there's any real connection between the books and the TV show. As a big fan of her books, I'm kind of glad about that. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Thu May 06, 2010 6:26 am

The Going Postal adaptation is actually quite good. It's pacing is quicker than either Hogfather or The Colour of Magic - but the better pacing comes at the cost of not sticking so closely to the source material. You can still find something that quite resembles to core story but repackaged somewhat for the adaptation.

I can't really talk about it at the moment because I am under an embargo not to for another couple of weeks but please do give it a try.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby mspanners » Thu May 06, 2010 7:05 am

I to am looking forward to the show but I must agree with Kittycat1977 in hoping that the show is not specially ruined for TV as The Colour of Magic was and captures Terry's books Magical sprit as The Hogfather did. :)
mspanners

Postby Quark » Thu May 06, 2010 12:02 pm

I suppose the advantage, as far as I see it, of having a television adaption that's slightly different, is that you get to see the story from a slightly different perspective.
I'm going to watch it, when I can. It might not be as good as the book - what is? - but heck, it's still Pratchett.
Quark

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I havent watched any discworld movies' they dont seem to turn up here; i did watch a bit of hogfather on youtube though

Nice avvie, kittycat :D
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Cheery » Thu May 06, 2010 5:35 pm

I would love to watch it on sky, but we don't get it. :roll:
Youtube'll have to do until the dvd comes out
Cheery

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu May 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I haven't seen Bones, but I know that Kathy Reichs has a lot of say in the making of the show. It's only very losely based on the books - the main character is a lot younger for a start. So I don't think there's any real connection between the books and the TV show. As a big fan of her books, I'm kind of glad about that. :wink:

Kathy R. has stated that Bones is set before Brennan went to take up her post in Canada, where the books are set.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu May 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I haven't seen Bones, but I know that Kathy Reichs has a lot of say in the making of the show. It's only very losely based on the books - the main character is a lot younger for a start. So I don't think there's any real connection between the books and the TV show. As a big fan of her books, I'm kind of glad about that. :wink:

Kathy R. has stated that Bones is set before Brennan went to take up her post in Canada, where the books are set.
Yes and no - the books may, in theory be set then, but the first book in the series was published in 1997 and the small bit of the TV series I've seen is set currently, not in the late 90s.

Also the books, like her real life are set in Quebec, Canada and Charlotte, North Carolina (as well as other places). As a real life forensic anthropolgist she (and her character) spend time travelling to and from both cities.

The good thing about TV adaptations is that they often persuade people who wouldn't normally read Discworld to try the books. The same thing happens with the Sharpe TV series - lots of people see the TV show and then read the books (and find them infinitely better). :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BaronBreton » Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 pm

any news for the date ?

Ok, we are at the begin of May... but....
No one ???
« L'imaginaire n’est qu'une autre façon de voir la réalité. »

Le Vade-mecum, french website on The Discworld
BaronBreton

Postby Tiffany » Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I looked in the Sky mag, it's being shown on 30th May on Sky one.
I put this on the Going Postal trailer thread first. So I have put it here now.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby BaronBreton » Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Tiffany wrote:I looked in the Sky mag, it's being shown on 30th May on Sky one.
I put this on the Going Postal trailer thread first. So I have put it here now.

So, thanks again :wink:
« L'imaginaire n’est qu'une autre façon de voir la réalité. »

Le Vade-mecum, french website on The Discworld
BaronBreton

Postby Kittycat1977 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 am

Ponder Stibbons wrote:Nice avvie, kittycat :D

Thanks Ponder, it's my first ever one so will probably change it at some point.

I am def going to give Going Postal a try. I think the characters looked pretty good in the advert and now I know that the story is not exactly the same I am prepared. :D

Really looking forward to it now.
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby michelanCello » Fri May 07, 2010 4:01 pm

That's not fair!!!! I'll have to wait till the DVD!!! :cry:
Promise me you'll tell me how it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby BobtheDrog » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm

I shall as ever be hopeful about this one but with a nagging feeling that one or two of the main character will have been badly cast and as a result of this I'll end up grouchy and unimpressed
BobtheDrog

Next

Return to The Broken Drum