Convention Newbie!! Need some advice..

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Convention Newbie!! Need some advice..

Postby Cathryn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Hello everyone!!

My name is Cathryn (pretty obvious, I know), I'm 22, have been reading Discworld books since I was 9... and have in the last half an hour bought my first ever convention tickets!!

I have never been to a convention before, let alone a Discworld one and am REALLY excited about finally being able to go. I have been lucky enough to meet Terry three times in the last few years - but I'm certain this will be completely different to any booksigning or talk I have ever been to.

I am basically looking for any info on what to expect, how it all works, etc. For instance, do I have to book a room at the Hilton or can we stay at another hotel? (I only ask because I can't afford the rooms right now - I saw there were only about 40 places left for the convention and couldn't resist getting in there quick - so will have to book a hotel later on).

Anyway any info really really appreciated!

Cathryn x x
Cathryn

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Cathryn and welcome! :D

A few of the members here are going and have already booked hotel rooms etc. I'm sure they'll be happy to give you advice.

If you follow THIS LINK you'll find a thread about the convention and hopefully some useful advice there. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cathryn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Brilliant, thankyou, I will take a look straight away!
Cathryn

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Hey there Cathryn - welcome to the forum. It'll be my 1st convention too and I've never met Terry.

You don't have to stay at the Hilton, but as everything's happening there it's just a bit more convenient for chronically lazy people like me :oops: :lol: I do use a walking stick though, so that's my excuse and I'm hanging onto to it like mad! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Not going to beat anyone about the heid with are you Jan after a bevvy session. :lol: :wink:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 pm

'Course not - anyway it's v. bad for bopping people - it's one of those you can fold up so it's hollow and breaks into sections if you bash something with it :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cathryn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 am

You don't have to stay at the Hilton, but as everything's happening there it's just a bit more convenient for chronically lazy people like me

Heheh! Well I'm really hoping to be able to stay at the Hilton, just depends if there are rooms available when I have the money lol :)
Cathryn

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 am

You can book now and they don't charge until the nearer the time (I think anyway) or even after your stay - you have to give credit card details and they confirmed the booking immediately, but they haven't put it through yet :D

Edit - they haven't charged it yet because it's a reservation of course! *slaps head* Can you tell it's been a while since I've had to travel anywhere :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 am

Think of l'il ol me who can't make it! :( :cry:
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Cathryn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:29 am

You can book now and they don't charge until the nearer the time (I think anyway) or even after your stay - you have to give credit card details and they confirmed the booking immediately, but they haven't put it through yet

Oh, I never thought of that! I will ring them tomorrow and book my room then! So exciting!

*Update*

I couldn't wait till the morning, so went ahead and booked online. Probably the most money I've ever spent on a hotel but what the heck! (Have you SEEN the beds!)
Cathryn

Return to The Broken Drum