Did you give anything up?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Did you give anything up?

Postby Mysticsypher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 pm

I know this may be a strange question but did anyone give up anything for Lent this year?

I'm not a religious person but it is a tradition that I still have with a few old friends from school. (very long story!!!)

It was just that a few people that work in my office were telling what they had given up and I was wondering about you guys.

I gave up herbal tea. (I know it sounds like a lame thing to give up but I practically live on the stuff!)

Mx
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the damn customers!"
Mysticsypher

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 pm

i didnt give up anything myself but ive made the dog give up custard creams :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Morty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:19 pm

I might have some good news for you Mysticsypher. I believe in God and over the last couple of months when no one else would let me work for them the church were good enough to allow me to do some voluntary work for them. To cut a long and well documented story short I’ve been a bit under the weather lately and my doctor insisted that I give up all life’s little pleasures. There really wasn’t much left for me to give up for Lent :cry: .

I spoke to the vicar about this and she told me that instead of giving something up for Lent you can do something that you don’t normally do. The less religious could have some real fun with this get out clause :evil: !

Drink 10 pints a night instead of 5, only eat curries for 40 nights the list is endless. I opted for a more religious task and decided to read The New Testament over the 40 days of Lent. Some of the more regular posters will I’m sure have great fun telling you of the difficulties I have sitting still for long enough to actually read a book. Anyway if giving up herbal tea starts to get to you there is an option for you to start drinking an alternative and still be in the Big Fella’s good books :lol:

May I be the first to wish you a very Happy Easter :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:49 pm

I honestly don't think I've ever given anything up for Lent. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I honestly don't think I've ever given anything up for Lent. :lol:

You could give up listening to this album Tony.....PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morty

Postby cols » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 am

I gave up fizzy drinks as I've been downing them for sport lately just to stay awake !
cols

Postby mystmoon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 am

I've given up Haribo sweets to try and aid my teeth to recovery after my last dentist appointment
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 am

Morty wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I honestly don't think I've ever given anything up for Lent. :lol:

You could give up listening to this album Tony.....PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

hea·then (hn)
n. pl. hea·thens or heathen

1. Offensive
a. One who adheres to the religion of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.
b. Such persons considered as a group; the unconverted.

2. Heathen An adherent of a Neopagan religion that seeks to revive the religious beliefs and practices of the ancient Germanic peoples.

3. Informal
a. One who is regarded as irreligious, uncivilized, or unenlightened.
b. Such persons considered as a group.

Nope, I don't think I fit any of those categories as I don't adhere to any religion. I guess that might make me 'irreligious' but I don' think I'm uncivilised or unenlightened. Indeed I was raised as a Catholic and even went to a Novitiate school where I'd have ultimately become a monk.

One of the things they taught us there was to question everything we were taught. I did exactly that and decided that 'faith' was not sufficient to explain life and the world we live in.

Heathens believe - I don't! But I don't have any problem with other people believing if that's what they want to do. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

Tonyblack wrote:Heathens believe - I don't! But I don't have any problem with other people believing if that's what they want to do. :wink:

I owe you an apology Tony. I was very ignorant and thought that a heathen was someone who didn't believe in God. Very few of my friends have my unshakeable faith and as I consider you to be a friend I know you have a sense of humour and if I'd got the word right I know it wouldn't have offended you.

Next time I decide to have a go at being funny I'll do some homework first :oops:
Morty

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 am

"Atheist" is the word you want - I'm one. And therefore have given up nothing at all :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:34 am

Morty wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Heathens believe - I don't! But I don't have any problem with other people believing if that's what they want to do. :wink:

I owe you an apology Tony. I was very ignorant and thought that a heathen was someone who didn't believe in God. Very few of my friends have my unshakeable faith and as I consider you to be a friend I know you have a sense of humour and if I'd got the word right I know it wouldn't have offended you.

Next time I decide to have a go at being funny I'll do some homework first :oops:
You didn't offend me, Morty - I just thought I'd point out something that people often get wrong.

As Dotsie says, the word is 'athiest'. I don't believe in a creator, but I know that a lot of people do and I have no problem with that. I don't think I try to push my non-belief at others. Each to their own is my feeling on the subject. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

Thank you Dotsie and Tony, I don't make any attempt to try to get non believers to change their mind and convert to christianity. I have friends at church who like me have total faith in God. I have friends who don't believe.

I would like to think if I held a party and invited all my friends that we wouldn't end up with two parties going on, one in the lounge and one in the kitchen :lol:

I will remember in future that the word is ''Atheist'' and that to date David Bowie hasn't released an album called ''Atheist''

Heathen is still a cracking album 8)

Going back to the party bit......I never mentioned the party going on in the bedroom...... Bloody hell I'm getting old :oops:
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 am

I've given parties up for Lent. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I've given parties up for Lent. :lol:

I've given up parties cause I'm too old to get upstairs and if I could there by the time I'd got there I'd have forgotten what I went for.
Morty

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:19 pm

I forget things now ... the other day I was only three steps in my bedroom when I forgot whether I turned the loo light off or not ... and the loo is right next door to my room!
And this morning I dissolved some co-codomol for my mum and I completley forgot about it until I noticed it - thankfully it was not there for too long - but its not nice!

Oh and I'm thirty this year!

And though I am Christian and believe in God and Christ ... I do not celebrate Easter therefore I don't give up anything for Lent ... and I have pancakes whenever I want to as well ...
:lol:
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Next

Return to The Broken Drum