Why live in the past?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Nicely put Pooh. Fantastic Analogy. <3

:roll: If the "man" referred to in Pooh's post is supposed to be me, then it's not a "fantastic analogy at all!"

The assumption seems to be that I want to go to the convention and the only reason I'm not going is that my depression is stopping me. I've never said that or even hinted that and frankly I'm rather annoyed if people are making that assumption.

I've already explained this to Pooh via PM and was hoping that would be the end of it, but as it isn't, I'll explain further.

First off - I've probably been to more meet-ups/camping weekends and events than most of the people on this board. I've even organised weekend meet-ups in London myself. I've been camping at Discworld events on several occassions and I organised renting a cottage outside Wincanton and sharing it with several Discworld fans one Hogswatch. This involved me hiring a car and picking up the other people who arrived from the Netherlands and Finland.

So, I hope you can see that getting out and meeting other DW fans is not a problem for me or my depression.

I've been following the goings-on at previous DW conventions for around eight years on various DW forums and I've never even been remotely interested in attending one. I won't go into my reasons why they don't interest me - it's based on my knowledge of past events and I don't want to put anyone who is attending off.

As to whether I'll regret not going - well that's up to me isn't it? :wink:

I'm not angry, just a bit annoyed that people are making assumption about me. I hope that everyone who attends the convention will have a great time and I look forward to your reports about it. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Zephyr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:29 pm

For a depressed person, Tony travels more than anyone I know, with only one exception. He's probably circumnavigated the globe a few times just in miles he's traveled from Cardiff to Tucson. Goodness knows he's tried to talk me into taking a puddle-hop to Wincanton a few times, a trip which is on my Bucket List.

And when he's not traveling cross-country or crossing the Atlantic, the guy is walking all over Wales! He won't stay put! :shock: :lol:
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby Batty » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:15 pm

I, for one, did not equate pooh's post with Tony.
Although pooh has recently offered Tony free floor room which was declined, I could not link someone who travels so far and house-sits for people with someone who is afraid to go somewhere - even if 'he really wants to'.
:roll:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Batty wrote:I, for one, did not equate pooh's post with Tony.
Although pooh has recently offered Tony free floor room which was declined, I could not link someone who travels so far and house-sits for people with someone who is afraid to go somewhere - even if 'he really wants to'.

yah, that was my take on it too. sorry if offense was taken. I am hardly ever here anymore...
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Batty wrote:I, for one, did not equate pooh's post with Tony.

yah, that was my take on it too. sorry if offense was taken. I am hardly ever here anymore...
There was no offense taken. :) I just wanted to clarify things.

Tina I'm sorry if you thought I was annoyed with you personally - I wasn't. :wink:

*HUGS* all round.
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXoyr_FyFw

Can't you see The Librarian ALL OVER that bad Boy??????

Wicked Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Penfold » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Now thats what I call a mighty organ! :shock:

Huh, huh, hur!........sorry! :oops:

(Well someone was bound to say it at some point :lol: )
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXoyr_FyFw

Can't you see The Librarian ALL OVER that bad Boy??????

Wicked Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That really gets my Bach up. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Penfold wrote:Now thats what I call a mighty organ! :shock:

Huh, huh, hur!........sorry! :oops:

(Well someone was bound to say it at some point :lol: )

*heavy sigh* ok Nobby...

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote: I've never said that or even hinted that and frankly I'm rather annoyed if people are making that assumption.

It never occurred to me that you might not be going because you're depressed. I don't think of you as being defined by depression, although I know you have had episodes of illness in the past. I just assumed it was the explanation you gave, which is that you'd rather go to Tucson with the money (TBH, so would I, but I think Sharlene might be a bit shocked to see me on her doorstep :shock: )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I apologise unreservedly for my initial comment. :oops: Tony said he wasn't going to DWC10, and I used a cheap con trick to make him go, so I could buy him a pint or two. I'm sorry if I hurt Tony in any way, that was not my intention. :oops:

(PS it worked! Tony said he might pop in for a day!) :twisted:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:11 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I apologise unreservedly for my initial comment. :oops: Tony said he wasn't going to DWC10, and I used a cheap con trick to make him go, so I could buy him a pint or two. I'm sorry if I hurt Tony in any way, that was not my intention. :oops:

No worries! :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:I apologise unreservedly for my initial comment. :oops: Tony said he wasn't going to DWC10, and I used a cheap con trick to make him go, so I could buy him a pint or two. I'm sorry if I hurt Tony in any way, that was not my intention. :oops:

No worries! :wink:

As the 'other' element in this (the woman who kicked herself up the bum - it really hurt too! :roll: ), I've already sent a contrite PM to Tony as I was in part responsible for wrong assumptions being drawn, during an off-thread convo I had with Pooh. :oops:
The remarks made in the post relate to me far more. As I know for a fact there were no ill-intentions behind this, I can't let Pooh take all the flak when the assumption stemmed largely from something I said :roll:

In future I shall stick with shouting at Pooh instead of having deep meaningful discussions with him - we're a v. bad influence on each other! :lol: :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Oh, for God's sake woman! :twisted:
Here's me trying to gallantly take all the blame, then you go and stick your big oar into everything. :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Shut it smartypants! :lol: :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum