What DW Plot Would You Like To See?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What DW Plot Would You Like To See?

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 am

Here's a chance to exercise your imagination and come up with an interesting plot for a Discworld book. It could be one line long, or more detailed like mine.

UNBELIEVABLE!

(Any connection between events in the following story synopsis and events on Roundworld is purely coincidental.)

Lord Rust and his rich cronies in the fat industry hatch a plan to invade and occupy Uberworld, thus gaining control of the fifth elephant fat deposits buried there.

However, they state that without a major incident of epic proportions their plan will take a long time to come to fruition.

They send an open letter to the Patrician recommending the overthrow of the Low King of Uberworld. The Patrician ignores it.

In an election, they win through cheating and Lord Rust becomes the new Patrician. His cronies are given high positions in the new Government.

Nine months after taking office, by sheer coincidence, a major incident of epic proportions occurs.

18 Klatchian terrorists (not Uberworld dwarfs) hijack some horses and carts and simultaneously ram them into the Ankh-Morpork Opera House.

An hour later the Opera House collapses at freefall speed into its own footprint, killing a lot of people.

William De Worde's house, although not hit by a horse and cart, also collapses at freefall speed and William De Worde is killed.

The Ankh-Morpork Times is taken over by Lord Rust's cronies, changes its name to "Vixen News", and becomes a propaganda mouthpiece for the administration.

Lord Rust blames the Low King of Uberworld for the attack.

Lord Rust then states categorically that the Low King of Uberworld has developed an evil weapon and must be stopped.

The citizens of Ankh-Morpork are brainwashed into supporting an invasion of Uberworld.

Uberworld is invaded and occupied, the Low King executed and the fat deposits of Uberworld are now under control of the Ankh-Morpork fat industry. No trace whatsoever is found of the evil weapon.

The dwarfs are not too happy about having their country occupied so start an insurgency against the occupiers which, so far, has lasted for seven years. A lot of dwarfs and Ankh-Morpork soldiers are killed.

Because Ankh-Morpork had no money to pay for the war and occupation, it has to borrow heavily from neighbouring countries.

This causes the Ankh-Morpork economy to collapse, creating mass unemployment.

Eventually the people of Ankh-Morpork see through Lord Rust and he is voted out of office, with Captain Carrot becoming the new Patrician.

Faced with an unpopular occupation, a failing economy, a falling Dollar, huge debts and a right wing media, can Patician Carrot help Ankh-Morpork to recover from its self-inflicted problems?

Yes, he can......maybe?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:40 am

Nah, that's just too fantastic. No one would ever believe all that. :wink: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:47 am

Hence the title; "Unbelievable!" :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:21 pm

:lol:

Sooooooooo predictable :roll: (dintya just know this was the 'other love' pooh was hinting like mad with earlier in the week) - and far too mean with your doses of Vetinari :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:dintya just know this was the 'other love' pooh was hinting like mad with earlier in the week)

What fanfiction?! :lol:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:56 pm

Somehow it sounds strangely familiar I wonder why :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:What fanfiction?! :lol:

Pooh doesn't do it unless it's pants (so he says) - as a result at least 'pants' needs a redefinition, so I suppose this has to be 'poohfiction' which somehow or other sounds far worse for something so funny :roll:

but if the c(r)ap fits etc :twisted: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:15 pm

As someone's sig says, "The difference between fact and fiction is that fiction has to be believeable". You couldn't make it up!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby And » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:45 pm

That's great, Pooh! Now when they do the TV version of that, who shall we have as Lord Rust? Michael Sheen? Jon Culshaw?
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
And

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Stephen Fry (general Melchett :P )as Lord Rust :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 am

Talk about coincidences or what? :shock:

On today's Beeb site, the reason for William De Worde's house collapsing without being hit by a horse and cart is finally explained, 7 years later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7485331.stm

It was fire wot done it, making it the only skyscraper ever in history, to collapse because of fire. :idea:

So that's that cleared up then. That'll show all those conspiracy nuts! :twisted:

Bit strange that the word in the title "solved" is in inverted commas. :?
Bit strange that half the piece is actually promoting "conspiracy theories" too. :?

Probably because the Beeb said live on 9/11 that WTC 7 had collapsed 23 minutes before it actually did, is making them cautious.
poohcarrot

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 am

I agree wiht tony, i think that its too fantastical. And it doesnt quite follow the Dw canon.(again :D )
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Return to The Broken Drum