Hi and greetings! I need your Help:)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Mysticsypher » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Quarandy!

Again will be echoing everything already said but I wish to chime in with two things.

1) It is very much as Tony said. The human element of the none human characters and the Discworld twist on our own traditions. I love Hogfather and have read that every christmas since I was young. I can't help but laugh when I pass shops and there are kids with their noses pressed up against windows staring at toys. I just keep imagining Albert there, frozen to the window. Or the queue of kids to see Santa pointing at the display around them. To be honest I just pray for a river of wee to wash over them but then again I hate crowds.

2) As Poohcarrot has said you can read the book over and over again but everytime you find something new. I first was introduced to Terry's books when I was about 8years old. The second book that I read was Equal Rites and I suppose I was too young to get it all at the time, so everytime that I read it after that I would understand something new or notice something that I hadn't before. Even to this day I still notice something new. My aunt (who is the one who introduced me to it all) describes the books the literary equivalent of a "Where's Wally" book. I have to agree with her.

This is so hard to explain and to pin point the exact thing that keeps me reading and re-reading his books. Maybe it is just that he has created a world that, on picking up any of his books, you can escape to and leave behind all the rubbish in your own life and know that you will be in stitches laughing in no time.

All is better after one of his books. Perhaps doctors should prescribe them to patients?

Mx
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the damn customers!"
Mysticsypher

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm

chris.ph wrote:welcome to the site quarandy :)

have a nose around the site then plagerize one of jans posts they are normally about 15 pages long :lol: :lol:

Are bloody NOT! :evil: :lol:

You want big posts (and you're over 18 and a member of DreamWorlds) go and read my orc fanfic THEN you can complain :P :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 pm

((HUGS)) Jan... lol I almost suggested that meself... :oops: :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:29 pm

:lol: I believe quantity can equate to quality if only to prove you can still come up with an original thought or two :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby janet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Quarandy and welcome (although I feel kinda stupid saying the welcome bit as I'm a relative newbie too).
My fascination for the Discworld is becoming more worrying as time goes by and I find myself re-reading the books by choice. Often.
The Discworld is a mythical world which, in most respects, resembles 21stC world without the technology.
Magic and mythology (which is completely alive, real and believable) rules the Discworld and humankind (or what passes for it) is ultimately regulated in the nicest possible way by magic.
It's like the world you imagined as a child where the safety of your family would always be there but you could escape to another place where anything could happen.
The rules are simple on Discworld. Understand the way things are meant to be or suffer the consequences just as a good parent would teach a child.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Penfold » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:01 am

janet wrote:Hi Quarandy and welcome (although I feel kinda stupid saying the welcome bit as I'm a relative newbie too).
My fascination for the Discworld is becoming more worrying as time goes by and I find myself re-reading the books by choice. Often.

Don't worry Janet, what you're doing is quite normal! :P

Terry is pretty much the only author whose books I can re-read regularly and still enjoy. It always used to surprise me that on each reading I would pick up on missed jokes and references, while discovering hidden depths within the work. Nowadays, I know when I buy a new Discworld novel (or any one of Terry's other works) it will probably take at least three reads before I can understand and appreciate the full (or almost full :wink: ) scope of the storytelling and satire - and that I will still enjoy every page of it! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Quarandy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Wow, thats a pretty, well... intense response! Thanx for all the responses, but the more the better, so keep it up!
Never plan too far ahead. Otherwise your plans will be at your goal before you are^^
Quarandy

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum