Hi and greetings! I need your Help:)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hi and greetings! I need your Help:)

Postby Quarandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Well. To make it short and to be honest, I registered to this Forum because I need the help of a bunch of most intelligent people, that know a lot about Terry Pratchett and his work and I thought the official Forum would be a good place to ask for this kind of help =) I need to write a 15 page paper about the discworld and I somehow lack the ability to describe why I'm so captivated by every single book he writes...

So eventhough this is little much for a first post, I would like to try to start a discussion about the essence of his work. I would be very much interested what you think about his books(especially concerning the discworld). Why are they so facinating? Which aspects do you like most? What makes them so gripping and so absorbing, what is it that makes you finish the book in one go, no matter what?
Never plan too far ahead. Otherwise your plans will be at your goal before you are^^
Quarandy

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Well as long as you don't want us to actuualy write the 15 page paper for you... :wink:

Welcome to the site, Quarandy! :D

For me, Terry's writings are about depth more than humour. He writes about what it is like to be a human being and his characters are so very recognisably 'human' - even if they are dwarfs, trolls, vampires or any other denizen of the Discworld.

Terry's writing is a bit like an archeology dig. There may be a trace of something on the surface, but the really good stuff is buried. He doesn't spoon feed his readers, he just writes and the readers either get what he's talking about or they don't. I don't think I've ever heard Terry try and explain what his books are really about.

This sort of humanistic writing will never go out of style because humans really don't change very much. He's like Jonathan Swift who was writing around 300 years ago and yet his writing is still relevant because, as I say, people don't change much at all. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Welcome to the forum Quarandy :D

Well the answer's easy but hard to explain. Terry likes people and their little quirks and silly habits, the bad ones too - so his stories are always about people and what they get up to. And funny of course. :wink:

In a way, he's a bit like Shakespeare doing fantasy satirical literature and because it's all about people he's never going to run out of material or subjects. We can talk about him and why we love him non-stop but maybe a quicker way would be to look in the Discworld Novels forum and have a look at some of the discussions we've done on some of the books - we're gradually working our way through the lot so it's not comprehensive, but some themes do keep cropping up :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Welcome to the site Quarandy :D I couldn't agree more with Tony and Jan so I've nothing more to add. You can check our discussion here :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby meerkat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Welcome Quarandy, I started to read his work after appearing in the play Going Postal. I was then hooked.
There' something about evey character and place in all his books which reminds you of your life and times.

It is enhralling reading enough to make you cry, thump the table in ageement and laugh, all in the same paragraph!

But I do not suggest you read it on the underground as laughing out loud makes people look at you in a bemused fashion! And they tend to shuffle into groups. I suppose for safety. Well, they do when I've been reading them on the Bakerloo line... :roll:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 pm

meerkat wrote:Welcome Quarandy, I started to read his work after appearing in the play Going Postal. I was then hooked.
What part did you play? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Reacher Gilt. (there's rather a lot of ladies). I was lucky having the one part, some got double or triple parts.

My favourite bit was when we were 'voicing' the crowd at Moist's 'hanging' . :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Deja vu? :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quark » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:57 am

I'll probably second Tony's 'archeology dig' analogy... The Discworld books appear to be just satirical fantasy, but mere sentences can start an entire train of thought going (and, because I never think in straight lines, derail them with a nasty crash). It's perhaps also the way he twists everything - even the entirely mundane - into a new perspective. I mean, surely the question 'what happens to heroes when they get old?' has been asked, but Terry answered it... with Cohen the Barbarian! :lol:
Quark

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

Welcome, Quarandy.
I had to do that once, too, but much shorter. It is quite hard to describe his work to someone who's never read it before.
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Penfold » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 am

Hellooo and welcome from me as well, Quarandy. :)

In addition to Terry's subject matter, it might also be worth mentioning his writing style compared with other authors. He has been criticized in the past for not using chapters in many of his books, for example, and for his inclusion of footnotes rather than including the explanation as part of the narrative. Could it be that this is Terry's deliberate attempt to rebel against the methods and style of traditional literature?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby theoldlibrarian » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Ill be repeating a lot of what people have said already but anyway,
The Discworld is a world very similar to our own. It is populated by many creatures and myths but they all resemble the traits of human beings in the end of the day.
Terry is a master satirist and also a keen observer of the human condition. It is thanks to these traits of the author that the series is both highly entertaining and also educational. You can learn both random pieces of trivia and more importantly he makes you think about our own lives and our own world.
Terry is also one of the few authors I know of who can craft every sentence perfectly. Try writing just one paragraph of what Terry writes and unless you are a master writer you will find you are unable to do so. This is because of his unique writing style and literary structure.
Welcome to the site quarandy and best of luck with your project.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Terry Pratchett is the only author I know whose books I can read again again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and they're still funny, and there's always something you missed the last time you read it. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Terry Pratchett is the only author I know whose books I can read again again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and they're still funny, and there's always something you missed the last time you read it. :lol:
You sound like a stuck track on a Status Quo record pooh. :wink: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm

welcome to the site quarandy :)

have a nose around the site then plagerize one of jans posts they are normally about 15 pages long :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum