I'm trying out a new hobby....

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Your talents never cease to amaze me Jenn! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm not surprised you were making money with photographs that good!

But the paintings are lovely as well and capture a different element of the dogs I think. All these pictures of border collies are making me jealous :(
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Tonyblack wrote:This may interest old camera collectors. :D

What an amazing coincidence Tony. Sorry about the naff quality of this photo but I took it a few minutes ago and trying to do close up photography is nigh on impossible with only one hand. This is exactly the same camera as the one you talked about in the link you posted.

The pictures of Pearl Harbour were amazing and even more so when you consider how long they’d been left undeveloped. Thank you so much for posting the link on this forum. I’ll be busy for the next few minutes while I steal the pictures so if you want to talk about me while I’m not about now would be a good time :lol:
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

:lol: I just copied the email I got sent by the guy from Hookton as I know the folk there will love them. Go ahead and steal them. Just don't 'stale' them or Om will get you! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:I'm not surprised you were making money with photographs that good!

But the paintings are lovely as well and capture a different element of the dogs I think. All these pictures of border collies are making me jealous :(

I think Doughnut Jimmy just about sums how I feel about your photos, your paintings and the four legged Zephyr, Zephyr.

I would just add that I think you are spot on about digital photography stealing the soul from the skill of photography. In the good old days you had to consider the cost of each and every shot you took. Today bang the damn thing on auto take 20 shots for each picture you want and one of em will be a cracker. Where's the skill in that.

Rant over.......I also agree with Tony and your talents never cease to amaze me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Wonderfull Zephyr really great Paintings :D There great
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Tonyblack wrote::lol: I just copied the email I got sent by the guy from Hookton as I know the folk there will love them. Go ahead and steal them. Just don't 'stale' them or Om will get you! :lol:

No idea what you're on about Tony ......Can I suggest you join Toot you'd be a natural......''Stale'' them. Do I need to be scared of ''Om''. I've checked my post and I definately wrote ''Steal'' Am I missing a joke that the rest of you are PYSL about.....

Go on tell me I'm going all red and blotchy :oops: :oops: :oops:
Morty

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 pm

'nk you. :oops:

I've been fussed at for my viewpoint on digital photography and digital art, so usually try to be careful about who I say what to regarding that...for some, it's like talking about religion and politics. This forum is, so far, the friendliest bunch of international folks I've ever met in many years of posting on global forums. Y'all are fun!

Thank you for being so welcoming. :D
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Sorry Morty, I was referring to The Tenth Commandment. :wink:

And I don't know if you've read Small Gods yet - if that's the case, you'll have no idea who Om is. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 pm

'We get that in here some nights, when someone's had a few. Cosmic speculation about whether the gods exist. Next thing, there's a bolt of lightning through the door with a note wrapped round it saying, "Yes, we do" and a pair of sandals with smoke coming out.'
Zephyr

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Sorry Morty, I was referring to The Tenth Commandment. :wink:

And I don't know if you've read Small Gods yet - if that's the case, you'll have no idea who Om is. :lol:

Ah.....The fog begins to clear :oops:

I can see the ''amusing'' side of the alternative ten commandment posts but I'm more comfortable with the original ones and for Lent I'm going to stop breaking most of them :lol:

That'll be a lot easier than me ACTUALLY reading a book.......PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Morty on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Zephyr wrote:'We get that in here some nights, when someone's had a few. Cosmic speculation about whether the gods exist. Next thing, there's a bolt of lightning through the door with a note wrapped round it saying, "Yes, we do" and a pair of sandals with smoke coming out.'

:lol:

I get the distinct impression this forum likes arguing about religion and politics Zephyr, but only in a friendly way of course!

I know what you mean about digital photography but I disagree that it's necessarily a bad thing - good digital cameras still allow you the control needed to take very good photographs and although it may be harder for good photographers to distinguish themselves, quality of composition and vision still stand out.
Personally being able to take lots and lots of photographs with no cost attaced allows me to throw away the poor ones and just keep the striking ones, more freedom to experiment as well.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 pm

The housemate's got an Olympus SLR diggie camera and that's wonderful - all the control and consequent skill of the film-loading classics and rub 'em out straight away if they haven't worked. :lol: Trouble is he does 400 shots in about 4 hours... which is why my old PC was loaded to the gunwales and had to be put out to grass! :roll: Gotta love Olympus though! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 pm

I don't think Digital is all bad either. I just think that for me the craft has gone from photography. In some respects I'm prepared to admit its been a good thing.

There were many times when it took me so long to compose the picture and then check the light and set the camera that the moment had passed.

One of the best photographs I have ever seen was taken with the camera on a mobile phone. The photo wasn't set up or posed it was just a candid snap but it was an absolutely cracking picture and if I can find it I'll post it!

The arrival of Digital has also brought a new skill. Photoshop is an incredible tool and if used correctly you can rescue just about any half decent photograph and turn it into something David Baily would be proud of.

As with anything really there will always be Pro's and Con's and personal preferences to consider and respect.
Morty

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 pm

NO!

You spoiled kids of today don't know how good you've got it! When I was young, if we wanted to take a halfway decent picture, we had to build the camera ourselves, walk uphill for fifteen miles in eight feet of snow in our bare feet at four in the morning with nothing for breakfast but a bowl of gravel and a dollop of tar! And if the picture didn't turn out, we were beaten senseless with our own camera until it broke and weren't allowed to go to bed, which wasn't a bed but a large pile of rusty bayonnettes, until it was rebuilt better than before! Then we had to get up the next day and do it all over again! And we liked it!

*nods vehemently*

:lol:
Zephyr

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum