I'm trying out a new hobby....

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

I'm trying out a new hobby....

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:31 am

(as if I need another one...sheesh...)

Anyway, my husband who is addicted to sports and nothing else has found a new hobby that has nothing to do with sweaty grown men throwing themselves on each other or chasing after flying balls of varying sizes and shapes.

He has started coin collecting.

He's not a fair weather hobbyist - when he picks up a new hobby, it is usually preceeded with months of forethought and consideration. (Me, I just grab what flies through my head, squeeze the snot out of it, drop it when I've hobbied the life out of it, and go on to the next hobby victim.....but I learned a lot along the way!)

Anyhoo, his new hobby is collecting US Mint Proof Sets...mostly modern day coins, stuff dating from the 1900's. I can find nothing interesting in this, but he loves money and U.S. history.

So to answer this and give us something in common, I'm going to try my hand at collecting and cleaning ancient coins - to collect cheap, uncleaned Roman and Greek coins dating back 2000 +/- years, and clean them with the distilled water/olive oil/toothbrush/toothpick method.

This I find a hell of a lot more interesting than some stupid uncirculated quarter from 1996.

I mean, consider....a coin that could have been used 2000 years ago to bribe an official...or pay a completely unfair tax...or purchase negotiable affection...

It's also like a treasure hunt. You don't know if the coin you're cleaning is just a slug or might actually have readable text on it. I think it'll be fun to try.

I just bought a handful of uncleaned Roman coins online. It reminds me of when I collected DW stamps from the Cunning Artificer. You buy the Little Brown Envelope, and it could be full of Penny Patricians, or there could be a Cabbage Lover's or even a Blue Triangle in there!
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 am

sounds like fun to me. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:02 am

I have to agree - used coins are far more interesting than un-circulated ones. Mint coins in presentation packs were never meant to be circulated in the first place, so they have no history to them. Old coins are more like archeology. Good luck and happy hunting! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 am

I collect old cameras and often wonder what images passed through the lenses :oops: :shock:
Old box cameras are fairly easy to pick up for very little money at car boot sales. More complicated examples are a bit more difficult to find and consequently more expensive.

The digital camera has had an incredible impact on the price of conventional SLR’s. I paid a small fortune for my original Olympus OM10 but a few months ago I picked one up at a car boot sale for two quid fully working and with the box it came in :D

My cleaner tells me there’re a bugger to dust.......PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Quark » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 am

I collect old video games 8) . I mean, back when people used disks... most download them off distribution clients nowadays. My pinnacle was when I got my hands on a Computer Shopper disk from the '90s... and it contained a beta of the original Half-Life, back when the name was Quiver :lol: .
Quark

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:00 am

My hobby used to involve wearing silly clothes, hitting my friends with iron bars and talking to strangers about old stuff, well it still is but the wearing silly clothes and talking about old stuff bit is now my job too, with the occasional bit of cooking and eating weird old recipes thrown in for good measure :D
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm

Postby bogieman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:36 pm

My new interest is digital radio over the internet I did my first show last Saturday night at 8pm BST (3pm EST). I enjoyed it and intend to do more, I am planning to be on this Saturday as well :D

Quark,
Don't collect old games but keep them after playing, I have some going back to 1983 :D
bogieman

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Morty, what kind of old cameras do you collect?

I may have something you might like to add to your collection (free) - works fine, but just needs a new back latch if you can find someone who'll do it. And I can tell you exactly what the lens saw. :lol:
Zephyr

Postby Quark » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Of course I keep them. What would be the point of collecting stuff that I wouldn't keep?
Quark

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 pm

You can collect the concept of keeping them.

Proudly show your friends an empty shelf and say, "Here, I used to have the original Donkey Kong, with the box in mint condition."
Zephyr

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Zephyr wrote:Morty, what kind of old cameras do you collect?

I may have something you might like to add to your collection (free) - works fine, but just needs a new back latch if you can find someone who'll do it. And I can tell you exactly what the lens saw. :lol:

This is a small selection of the cameras I collect Zephyr. These will all be duplicates but there are a lot more in the loft which at the moment I can’t get in to! It’s most kind of you to offer to send me an old camera but the postage would be horrendous. Most of these will have cost less than a Pound and strangely enough there are plenty of them around.

Don’t look at the pictures too closely or you’ll see where I haven’t dusted. I fibbed about having a cleaner :oops: . When I had to sign on for sickness benefit I had to let her go :lol:
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Ooooo! You have a Olympus Trip there! :lol:

We still have ours and it was the best pocket camera ever - almost idiot proof and you still had some control over more 'riskier' shots (the housemate was a big fan of 'into the sun' pics as the results were always 'interesting' and some were stunning), but we used OM2s & 10 more when we went to Africa - really loved them... :cry:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Ooooo! You have a Olympus Trip there! :lol:

We still have ours and it was the best pocket camera ever - almost idiot proof and you still had some control over more 'riskier' shots (the housemate was a big fan of 'into the sun' pics as the results were always 'interesting' and some were stunning), but we used OM2s & 10 more when we went to Africa - really loved them... :cry:

The Trip still works perfectly Jan. I picked up an OM10 for 2 quid in its original box. The guy selling it said it didn't work but I brought just for the sake of owning another example ofone of the best cameras ever made.

Technically he was right because it didn't work until I put a new battery in it and it was working as well as it did the day it was made. :lol:
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 pm

This may interest old camera collectors. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 pm

What I have just laying around collecting dust is a Canon EOS Elan 7 SLR body.

WARNING: LIFE STORY FORTHCOMING! :shock:

I actually ran a small business around it. My dogs competed in dog sporting events, so I'd bring my camera along and shot action photography. I didn't go to school for photography, my husband just bought the camera for me for my birthday in 2001 and said, "Go forth and make people nuts!" I went forth and brought in $300 - $500 a weekend.

I'd go to the events, photograph the dogs on Saturday, take the film to one-hour developers that evening, then sell them on Sunday for $3.00 to $5.00 each. If people wanted enlargements, I'd have them done and mail them - they ran $15.00 to $30.00 each. For almost two years I enjoyed this easy source of additional income. People would pay anything for great pictures of their dogs in action.

Then, digital hit the scene. People were buying these $5,000 6-megapixel (not much by today's standards obviously) cameras, bringing a laptop and a printer, and selling the photos right then and there. Within a month, I became obsolete and really pissed off.

In my opinion, digital had taken the art away from photography. It had stolen the soul. In 35mm, you had to keep so many elements in mind: F-stop, apature, light, film speed, composition, etc. etc. etc...because once you shot that picture, it was locked onto that piece of film forever. No going back. Sure, you could edit an image, but the original was forever burned into the negative. That was part of the magic and the challenge of 33mm.

With digital, if it was a bad picture, you could delete it and take another, on top of all the raping of the image that could be done with Photoshop.

So heavy consideration was conducted. What Can I Do That Technology Can't Steal?

I picked up a paintbrush and tried that out.

Image Image

Of course, this is something that techology can do. Computer-generated art is quite popular and easy to do, but I really enjoy painting the original way...using most of the same chemicals and tools that the Masters used. Anymore, it's uncommon and people appreciate the authenticity in this fast-food society. Real brushstrokes, real texture, the real McCoy.

The camera I have today, I purchased on a whim back in 2006. It's a Canon EOS Rebel XTi 10 megapixel. Fits the same lenses and camera bag and everything the Elan 7 did, but I just use it for my own enjoyment rather than for making any sort of income.
Zephyr

Next

Return to The Broken Drum