terry on one show

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Fljotsdale » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I watched it, too. I only watch the One Show occasionally, and it was a surprise to me to see him!

I agree with him about the tribunals idea. It puts everything in a safe state so that relatives and friends won't be able to take advantage, and the sick person can assured their wishes will be seriously considered, even if not guaranteed.

I'm 72. My father had Altzheimers. I stand a 50/50 chance of getting it. Maybe even got it. My mother had cancer. I stand a 50/50 chance of getting that, too. Maybe even got it. But I don't believe I'll get/have got either. My grandparents died in their early 70s, my parents in their early 80s, so I'm hoping to be going strong until my early 90s. But, whenever I die, I want it to be in bed at home, like my mother, not in hospital like my poor dad.
And if the only way to get that is assisted death, then I'll take it if I can. But I'd rather die naturally, thanks!

Getting back to Terry - he's lost weight, hasn't he? And his bounce. :(
I found evolution more magnificent than Eden; I found it more wonderful to be a rising ape that a falling angel.
Terry Pratchett on Darwin's Evolution of Species
Fljotsdale

Postby meerkat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

In his recent remarkable Alztheimers programmes he did admit to getting very tired by the end of the day. That could be why his bounce was not so high!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 pm

I think he's looking less 'scrawny' than he did last year when he did those 2 documentaries on Alzheimers - wearing black/dark colours doesn't help of course bu,t as the telly's supposed to put several pounds on you, I suppose it's hard to tell.

In his manner, like Tony's said, I'd say he's not any different to how he's been for a long time on 'that type of show'. He certainly doesn't do scripts or prompters, so I always feel we're getting spontaneous responses although of course he's been intereviewed so many time on health issues now, some of it must perhaps sound 'samey', but there again his replies are totally consistent with what he's been saying for a long time, so no sign there of him losing the plot, or his memory in that respect. His body language was mostly relaxed, but, as when he appeared on the Dimbleby Lecture, he did seem a little uneasy in places and that too I think is consistent with what he goes on these shows for. He's talking publicly on a subject that's essentially very private and personal - his own health and death, and that must be really hard to do at times, especially where it's an unrehearsed interview like that - I think he's exceptionally brave and genuine in his belief that these things must be talked about so everyone can understand this is something that potentially affects us all. Even if we don't get Alzheimers/dementia ourselves, people we know and love will be.

As for the assisted death issue - that's always made sense and in other times and places this was understood. We need to do the same. :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 am

Morty wrote:So I'm not the only one with a stutter then :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah Morty I was replying on my little netbook and was not sure it went,as my desktop went arseup :shock: :cry: and now I have it back most of it anyway, just a little more to do but I dont think I am going to install windows 7 till I move house, this has been a real pain. :roll:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Fljotsdale » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote: He's talking publicly on a subject that's essentially very private and personal - his own health and death, and that must be really hard to do at times, especially where it's an unrehearsed interview like that - I think he's exceptionally brave and genuine in his belief that these things must be talked about so everyone can understand this is something that potentially affects us all.

You are quite right, of course.

"Nation" is a book with death as a central figure, destroying Mau's world, then literally breathing over his shoulder all day and all night. It must reflect how Terry is feeling at the moment. How could I expect to see his normal mischief and bounce? :oops:
I found evolution more magnificent than Eden; I found it more wonderful to be a rising ape that a falling angel.
Terry Pratchett on Darwin's Evolution of Species
Fljotsdale

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum