Favourite meal (Recipe)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Morty wrote:un pasto magnifico :wink:

yes,it is a magnificent meal (this is the translation :wink: ), Morty. I've prepared it for tonight :)

but without garlic, it's lighter for me. and obviously a good olive oil :wink:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:
Morty wrote:un pasto magnifico :wink:

yes,it is a magnificent meal (this is the translation :wink: ), Morty. I've prepared it for tonight :)

but without garlic, it's lighter for me. and obviously a good olive oil :wink:

Penfold.....Penfold any chance of getting the chopper going and giving me a lift to Italy.....A Team rates apply :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Penfold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:28 pm

On t'house Morty. Can you bring me t'doggy bag please?

*Its no good. I'm going to have to stop trying to type with a Yorkshire accent. I'm too much of a soft southern s........* :wink: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Morty wrote:
Grymm wrote:Ooooh bacon badger(no badger are harmed during the recipe)

8 - 10 oz bacon pieces
1 onion, finely chopped

for the pastry
9oz self-raising flour
4 oz shredded suet
1/2 level tsp salt
About 8 tbsp cold water

Heat the oven to 200°c (approx 400°f) gas mark 6.

Remove any rind and bone from the bacon and cut the lean meat into small pieces. Put them in a bowl, add the onion mix well and lightly fry.
To make suet pastry
Put the flour, suet, salt and parsley in a bowl and mix to a soft but not sticky dough with the water. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 16 by 12 in.Brush the edges with water.
Spread the bacon/onion mix scatter on a little shredded sage and a twist or 2 of black pepper (Should be 'nuff salt in the bacon) over the pastry 2finger width shy of the edges. Loosely roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll and seal the ends firmly.
Put onto a piece of greased foil and cover loosely. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Open the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes to allow the top to brown. Cut in slices and serve hot with buttered greens and an onion gravy. A good ribsticking winter warmer.

Variants include putting a fine chopped or grated and squeezed tattie in the filling or putting the sage in the pastry. All measures are approx as I tend to do it by sight.

The old way was to wrap the bolster shaped pudding in a floured cloth and boil it for about 2 hours but the oven method works well.

Would it be a tad more authentic Grymm if one were to substitute the bacon for badger :lol:

I have recipes for making badger ham, hmmmm ham/bacon ,mebbe.........
Mind you in Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire a similar dish gets called a Clanger, I wondered why they didn't appear on telly n'more.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 pm

welcome to the site andrew :)

grymm i used to be a chef so i know 100s of receipes and the best welsh cakes are in llanelli market not swansea as they are served warm :D :D

crys any italian food does me and i get spoiled rotten by my mrs being italian :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:25 pm

I've been known to smuggle Welsh Cakes to Tucson and Maastricht before now. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Mysticsypher » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:56 pm

If anyone is up for a curry.......

You wil need...

4 large skinless chicken breasts chopped into big chunks
2 large onions sliced
3 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
3 to 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped into half inch chunks
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 pints chicken stock
300g green pitted olives
2 tbsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Olive Oil
1 Very big pot

1) Sweat off the onions and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until tender
2) Add the chicken and brown off
3) Add the tinned tomatoes, potatoes, garam masala, ground cumin and black pepper.
4) give a good stir and slowly add just over half of the chicken stock. As long as the curry looks like a very watery soup and everything is covered then bring it to the boil and then lower the heat to a nice simmer and leave it alone for about 20 mins.
5) Add the olives to the pot and leave well alone for the liquid to reduce.
6) Once reduced to the consistency that you wish* (very think or quite thin) turn off the heat and leave for a good 10 mins before serving it up. Good with all the usual rice and stuff but I love it with pittas.

*If you go back to it and it is too think for you, add some of the remaining stock to thin it out and cook for a further 10 mins.

I got this from the guy who works in my local asian food store. He'd made it for his friend for lunch and insisted that I try it. Ended up making it for dinner that night.

If you are not an olive fan then don't add them! Try something else! Peppers are good but I personally love Okra in it.

Mx
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the damn customers!"
Mysticsypher

Postby janet » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Love this thread. The curry and pasta with pesto sounds gorgeous (but not necessarily together)

Tatie Pot (that we had for tea tonight)

Take a largish, deepish oven-proof dish (with a lid is good)
Set oven to 220C or Gas 7
Peel and slice thinly about 6 medium-sized taties.
Wash and thinly slice one medium leek (white and green bits, in fact as much of the leek as is useable)
(An optional extra could be one peeled and finely sliced onion)
Starting with a layer of taties, then a layer of leek (or leek + onion) slices, build your tatie pot with alternate layers.
Season with a little ground black pepper between layers.
Finish with a layer of sliced taties even if it means peeling and slicing an extra one!
Mix up about a pint of vegetable stock (chicken if you prefer) and pour over the layers. It should come about halfway up the dish.
Cover the dish (lid, tin foil or metal plate) and place in hot oven for about 45mins until everything is soft when you stick a sharp knife through it and it is beginning to brown around the edges.
(So far, so low fat!)
Discard the lid.
Grate about 3 oz mature cheddar cheese or other well-flavoured cheese of your choice and cover the top of the taties with it.
Return to the oven for about 15 mins until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
Remove from oven and serve in large helpings on its own or as an accompaniment to anything!
Also delicious (memory from my meat-eating days) if chopped bacon is added (raw) as an extra layer. It all cooks together. The perfect one-pot meal.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Now that sounds scrumptious! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:20 pm

There's very little can beat a fresh and warm Welsh cake though Tony....OMG :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby And » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 pm

I have loads of recipes for that dirt-cheap cooking bacon that is usually very salty.

Bacon badger isn't a million miles from my favourite recipe of pirrukas. (Estonian)

Ingredients for roughly 30 pirrukas (depending on size)

500g bag of instant bread mix or 500g bread flour plus I tsp dried yeast, 1 tsp sugar and I tsp salt.

Warm water for dough

750 - 900g mixed "cooking" bacon ( i.e. offcuts, preferably a mix of smoked and unsmoked with a bit of gammon in). If you are in UK or Ireland, Tesco's cooking bacon is perfect. If you have a local market, their cooking bacon will probably be even better.

About 1lb onions

Oil for frying if needed.

Make dough by hand as per bread mix instructions, or by sieving dried yeast, flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl and adding water until dough forms neat not too sticky lump. Knead dough for about 5 mins. Leave to prove in a warmish place covered with a damp cloth. While the bread mix is proving, finely chop the bacon - I always use scissors as cooking bacon is fiddly to chop and you need a really sharp, lethal knife - and peel and finely chop the onions.

Depending on how fatty the bacon was, either dry fry the bacon for a minute, then add onion, or heat a small amount of oil in a pan and fry bacon and onion together.

There should be no need to season as cooking bacon is usually salty.

When onion is soft, drain the bacon-onion mix and leave to cool, then put the oven on at roughly 200 C, if fan oven, bit hotter if not.

Meanwhile, bread should have proved. Knock back the bread with your knuckles, take walnut sized balls of dough and roll out using rolling pin and floured board into small circles.

Place spoonful of bacon -onion mix on dough circle, fold dough over and seal the semi-circle making a mini pastie (or calzone pizza).

Place on greased baking tray, leave small space between each. Brush with beaten milk or egg to gloss, and bake for 15- 20 mins in hot oven until golden brown.

Remove from oven and cool.

These taste even nicer the following day though we seldom have any left by then.

Another recipe:

Roughly equal quantities of roughly chopped bacon, onion and peeled apple. Fry in small quantity of butter until onion and apple soft. Eat.
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
And

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum