Favourite meal (Recipe)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Favourite meal (Recipe)

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:58 am

With cookery programmes so popular on television I was wondering if you had a favourite recipe that you would like to share with the forum.

My offering is a very simple one to start things off.

Egg on toast.

Place bread in toaster
Add two large eggs to hot oil in frying pan.
Add chilli powder, garlic salt, garlic powder, dried chillies and fresh parsley whilst eggs are cooking
Switch on toaster.
Remove toast and spread with butter
Pour contents of frying pan over the toast
Sprinkle with Encona hot pepper sauce and ground pepper.
Eat!

Don’t breath on anyone for two hours
Morty

Postby theoldlibrarian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:31 pm

The following is one of my favourite snacks and I don't want anybody commenting about untill they try it.

Jam and Cheddar sandwich.

Place 1 slice of white bread in toaster and lightly toast
remove when toasted and lightly butter
spread jam over butter
slice cheese and place slices on bread
saw in half and enjoy
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Oh that brings back happy memories.

I can remember watching in horror when as a small boy I saw my Dad making a cheese and jam buttie.

He smiled wisely as he always did and offered me half of his buttie.....that was it from that moment on I was hooked.

Not many members will know this but one of the forum members is a Jam maker Par Excellence and when my blood sugar level allows a jam and cheese sandwich is the just what the Doctor ordered to get things back to normal :wink: :wink: :wink:
Morty

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm

get a bloody big steak show it the frying pan from the other side of the kitchen, wack it on a plate and muller it :D

or on a friday lift phone and ring for a large mixed doner kebab(i keep getting xmas cards off them :lol:)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dr Theobald » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 pm

theoldlibrarian wrote:The following is one of my favourite snacks and I don't want anybody commenting about untill they try it.

Jam and Cheddar sandwich.

Place 1 slice of white bread in toaster and lightly toast
remove when toasted and lightly butter
spread jam over butter
slice cheese and place slices on bread
saw in half and enjoy

I can confirm this as a delicacy I have eaten many, many times. As an avid home jam-maker it can be an exceptional treat.

My small modification is that the bread will be brown rather than white (and in preference again home made - but I only do that once a month) - and I never use butter/ margarine except on plain toast. I will however concede to you "lightly butter".

Do you have any preference as to the cheese type? A really strong cheddar type for me. Currently an Orkney Chedday.

Dr T
Dr Theobald

Postby kakaze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Tuna Noodle Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 (8 oz) package of egg noodles
• 1 can of tuna
• 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
• 1/2 cup of milk
• 1-2 cups of cooked peas, carrots, or mixed vegetables
• 2 Tbsp. butter (optional)
• 1 cup bread crumbs
• 1/8 cups grated cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook noodles according to the package.
2. Drain noodles, mix in butter, and pour into a casserole dish.
3. Mix tuna, soup, milk, and vegetables and stir into noodles.
4. Top with bread crumbs & grated cheese.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
kakaze

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:19 am

Ooooh bacon badger(no badger are harmed during the recipe)

8 - 10 oz bacon pieces
1 onion, finely chopped

for the pastry
9oz self-raising flour
4 oz shredded suet
1/2 level tsp salt
About 8 tbsp cold water

Heat the oven to 200°c (approx 400°f) gas mark 6.

Remove any rind and bone from the bacon and cut the lean meat into small pieces. Put them in a bowl, add the onion mix well and lightly fry.
To make suet pastry
Put the flour, suet, salt and parsley in a bowl and mix to a soft but not sticky dough with the water. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 16 by 12 in.Brush the edges with water.
Spread the bacon/onion mix scatter on a little shredded sage and a twist or 2 of black pepper (Should be 'nuff salt in the bacon) over the pastry 2finger width shy of the edges. Loosely roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll and seal the ends firmly.
Put onto a piece of greased foil and cover loosely. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Open the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes to allow the top to brown. Cut in slices and serve hot with buttered greens and an onion gravy. A good ribsticking winter warmer.

Variants include putting a fine chopped or grated and squeezed tattie in the filling or putting the sage in the pastry. All measures are approx as I tend to do it by sight.

The old way was to wrap the bolster shaped pudding in a floured cloth and boil it for about 2 hours but the oven method works well.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 am

chris.ph wrote:get a bloody big steak show it the frying pan from the other side of the kitchen, wack it on a plate and muller it :D

or on a friday lift phone and ring for a large mixed doner kebab(i keep getting xmas cards off them :lol:)

Wot no family welsh cake recipe, I thought it was compulsary. Mind you there is a stall in Swansea market that does good'uns.
Grymm

Fromage de cheddar fondu sur des biscuits de chocolat

Postby Andrew Böber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Ingredients:

500g Cheese

1 Pack of Chocolate Digestive Biscuits

Instructions:

1. Take a tine plate and place thinly cut strips of cheddar cheese on it. When plate is covered place beneath grill to melt.

2. Whilst cheese is melting place chocolate digestives on a metal tray.

3. Removed hot tin from grill – it is recommended that you employ the use of an oven glove so as not to burn yourself. Conversely if you are wealth enough to afford the disposal income required for true decadence then rather than an oven glove you can employ someone else to be burnt for you.

4. Gently pour melted cheese on top of each biscuit to desired taste and let cool.

5. Best served with coffee, however also good with Port and Brandy.

Not dissimilar to the cheese and jam, but much nicer. I use to eat these with gusto when I was a student. Not entirely sure why I ate these as a student, but then I'm not sure about a lot of things associated with that time. Most significant of which is my memory of it. Naturally my worry is that I will have flashbacks to this time and wake up (or come to as medical professional prefer to correctly term it) with a traffic cone on my head, eye shadow, and a series of greasy cheese-laden biscuits stuck to the side of my face.

Anndra
Cha bhi suaimhneas aig eucoir, no seasamh aig droch-bheairt
Andrew Böber

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Welcome to the site Andrew Böber!

I'm kind of surprised that cheddar cheese will 'pour' even when melted. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

This has the ability to divide people like marmite, I love it and more importantly the Mem loves it....(oooh Matron no!)
It's Chocolate Port, and was adapted from a recipe in The Cooks & Confectioners Dictionary by J. Nott dated 1723

Take a Pint of Sherry, or a Pint and a half of red Port, four Ounces
and a half of Chocolate, six Ounces of fine Sugar, and half an Ounce
of white Starch, or fine Flour; mix, dissolve, and boil all these as
before. But if your Chocolate be with Sugar, take double the Quantity
of Chocolate, and half the Quantity of Sugar; and so in all.

Here's my modern version which has gone down a storm at many parties with most of the guests.

Bottle of Port (A bottle of ruby costing 'bout £6 does fine) and a 100-
200g, depending how choclatey you want it, of the darkest, best quality, highest percentage of cocoa solid, choccy that you can find(Green and Blacks 85% works a treat), . Grate or break your choccy up small*, if required add sugar to taste(I like the extra flavour of demerara) and a 1/2 teaspoon starch(cornflour, riceflour, if you are gluten intolerant or just plain flour).
Put all these in a pan, stir/whisk constantly and heat gently (we don't want to lose any alcohol) serve in cups once the sugar and choccy have dissolved or give everyone straws and gather round the pot(Turn the heat OFF if you do).

*Stress relieving method take choc place in a stout cloth and batter the bejeeebus out of it with a rolling pin or steak tenderizer.
Grymm

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:58 pm

Grymm wrote:Ooooh bacon badger(no badger are harmed during the recipe)

8 - 10 oz bacon pieces
1 onion, finely chopped

for the pastry
9oz self-raising flour
4 oz shredded suet
1/2 level tsp salt
About 8 tbsp cold water

Heat the oven to 200°c (approx 400°f) gas mark 6.

Remove any rind and bone from the bacon and cut the lean meat into small pieces. Put them in a bowl, add the onion mix well and lightly fry.
To make suet pastry
Put the flour, suet, salt and parsley in a bowl and mix to a soft but not sticky dough with the water. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 16 by 12 in.Brush the edges with water.
Spread the bacon/onion mix scatter on a little shredded sage and a twist or 2 of black pepper (Should be 'nuff salt in the bacon) over the pastry 2finger width shy of the edges. Loosely roll up the pastry like a Swiss roll and seal the ends firmly.
Put onto a piece of greased foil and cover loosely. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Open the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes to allow the top to brown. Cut in slices and serve hot with buttered greens and an onion gravy. A good ribsticking winter warmer.

Variants include putting a fine chopped or grated and squeezed tattie in the filling or putting the sage in the pastry. All measures are approx as I tend to do it by sight.

The old way was to wrap the bolster shaped pudding in a floured cloth and boil it for about 2 hours but the oven method works well.

Would it be a tad more authentic Grymm if one were to substitute the bacon for badger :lol:
Morty

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:17 pm

A recipe? the first, I really have to say..
something delicious..
pesto : typical 'sauce' of Genoa

you need :
pine nuts,
grana cheese like this Image

and most important basilico leaves like these Image.
all this , you add garlic and potatoes, if you want.
pasta al pesto : Image
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Morty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm

un pasto magnifico :wink:
Morty

Postby Andrew Böber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:42 pm

What's worse is when one takes into account that English is also my first language.
Cha bhi suaimhneas aig eucoir, no seasamh aig droch-bheairt
Andrew Böber

Next

Return to The Broken Drum