dream places

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bickaxe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 am

Morty wrote:For very personal reasons..........

Negril Jamaica

Been there, its brilliant!...in fact, its my dream place too
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:12 am

*Sigh*
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby wolfiess » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:35 am

Storm chasing holiday to tornado alley
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:40 am

Is that work related wolfiess or just to see them?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Dr Theobald » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:27 am

Interesting thread

Most folk have understandably responded in the context of the destination being for a holiday. Would you choose the same place for a long term destination - like maybe for ever?

While the lure of a tropical beach can be considerable one tends to forget the drawbacks - mosquitos, sand flies, boredom. Oh yes, boredom sets in relatively quickly unless you have other interests. Lads, I do not (necessarily) mean the dusky maidens. Also, it is rare that within easy reach of the sun drenched tropical beach will the infrastructure you would probably desire before long - a comfy bed, food, transport, communications.

I have one colleague who did indeed opt for the sun drenched beach in total ie lives in a hut made of discarded wooden pallets, eats lots of fish and grows his own vegetables - with the help of more than one dusky maiden. Supported by a UK "very early retirement" pension he lives quite well. Since he is in the outer parts of the Phillipines I do not get to hear from him a lot, but he does communicate at times.

My Mrs and I often ask where in the world we may want to live when my responsibilities to my parents have gone and Jnr has finished Uni and embarked on his own life (very likely outside of UK)? A first step for us will be to travel a lot - when we have finished paying for Jnr at Uni. Maybe that will help us decide. We rather like the Algarve and at least that is within easy reach. I have a yen to visit Costa Rica.

Dr T
Dr Theobald

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:38 am

I'd say France, perhaps Bordeaux or Calais.
And balberney in scotland. Actually, anywhere in scotland but my dad used to work there before i was born.
And i agree with cheery, too. Discworld. With a large umbrella and anti-mime-artist-makeup machine :lol: :lol:
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:33 pm

I'd like to visit Sky Village in Arizona. But I wouldn't want to live there.

I'd stay where I am now for good if work is available. Everything I want is within easy reach (including the airport :wink: ) And of course, if we moved, how would Mr Dotsie get to see his footie?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'd like to visit Sky Village in Arizona. But I wouldn't want to live there.

A friend of mine of the Cunning Artificer Board has been there. He's really into astronomy. It's fantastic for star gazing. :D Sharlene and I have been to the Chiricahua Mountains, the hoodoos there are incredible. HERE are some pictures I took there. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bickaxe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Dr Theobald wrote:Interesting thread

Most folk have understandably responded in the context of the destination being for a holiday. Would you choose the same place for a long term destination - like maybe for ever?

While the lure of a tropical beach can be considerable one tends to forget the drawbacks - mosquitos, sand flies, boredom. Oh yes, boredom sets in relatively quickly unless you have other interests. Lads, I do not (necessarily) mean the dusky maidens. Also, it is rare that within easy reach of the sun drenched tropical beach will the infrastructure you would probably desire before long - a comfy bed, food, transport, communications.

I would love to live in Negril.
Its clean and friendly, the transport is actually very good (especially the zip lines) and they even have....electricity.
I have never suffered from insect bites in warm places and boredom (sitting near a bar the scenery) sounds like a dream to me.

Failing that, Coogee, NSW, Australia. Close to Sydney, but far enough away not to be surrounded by the city

Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby wolfiess » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Is that work related wolfiess or just to see them?

iv just always wanted to go and one day i will. i blame the disaster movies of the 90's lol
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Molvania! a land untouched by modern dentistry :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 pm

LOL Good one!!!! Molvania
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Sharlene and I have been to the Chiricahua Mountains, the hoodoos there are incredible. HERE are some pictures I took there. :D

Stunning pics Tony :) I'd like to come back with pics of nebulae and the like :wink: Maybe the odd galaxy.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum