You learn something new each day.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Interesting - i see the recipe uses yeast. That kind of takes it out of the pastry bracket and into the bread bracket. :)

Cakes with yeast dough are very common in Germany. My favourite dough for a cake, actually.

Dotsie: Sweet cheeseless plum pizza, to be exact.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Re: You learn something new each day.

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 am

I visit a weather website and have often seen listed, the names of current hurricanes, typhoons etc., including "Tropical Storm Invest". I initially thought Invest was the name of the storm, but as it seems to have been coming and going for years now, I looked up what "Invest" means in these circumstances. Apparently it is a term used for a weather front that meteorologists have noticed and are currently gathering data on. At that early stage they don't yet know what the storm will become, hence the need to gather data.

I do enjoy finding out stuff like this. :geek:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Conforumist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 am

Tonyblack wrote:I visit a weather website and have often seen listed, the names of current hurricanes, typhoons etc., including "Tropical Storm Invest". I initially thought Invest was the name of the storm, but as it seems to have been coming and going for years now, I looked up what "Invest" means in these circumstances. Apparently it is a term used for a weather front that meteorologists have noticed and are currently gathering data on. At that early stage they don't yet know what the storm will become, hence the need to gather data.

I do enjoy finding out stuff like this. :geek:

Brings "nerdy" to a whole new level! ;)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:34 am

Curious rather than nerdy I think. :P If I see something and don't understand it, I like to learn more. It's one of the things I love about the Internet.
Tonyblack

Postby Conforumist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 am

Tonyblack wrote:Curious rather than nerdy I think. :P If I see something and don't understand it, I like to learn more. It's one of the things I love about the Internet.

Very true; and TBH, I'm the same way, specially with statistics. :)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Del » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Curious rather than nerdy I think. :P If I see something and don't understand it, I like to learn more. It's one of the things I love about the Internet.

So true.

And many a leisurely hour spent surfing. I get carried away clicking and clicking and clicking.... I start looking at something like "What is a Gibbous Moon?" and end up watching something completely unrealted on you tube. :roll: and a million other things in between. Wish I had loads more time to just do that.

Phase Northern Hemisphere Southern Hemisphere Visibility
New moon Not visible, traditionally Moon's first visible crescent after sunset
Waxing crescent moon . Right 1-49% visible Left 1-49% visible afternoon and post-dusk
First quarter moon Right 50% visible Left 50% visible afternoon and early night
Waxing gibbous moon Right 51-99% visible Left 51-99% visible afternoon and most of night
Full moon Fully visible Fully visible sunset to sunrise (all night)
Waning gibbous moon Left 51-99% visible Right 51-99% visible most of night and morning
Last quarter moon Left 50% visible Right 50% visible late night and morning
Waning crescent moon Left 1-49% visible Right 1-49% visible pre-dawn and morning
Dark moon Not visible, traditionally Moon's last visible crescent before sunrise
When the Sun and Moon are aligned on the same side of the Earth the Moon is "new", and the side of the Moon visible from Earth is not illuminated by the Sun. As the Moon waxes (the amount of illuminated surface as seen from Earth is increasing), the lunar phases progress from new moon, crescent moon, first-quarter moon, gibbous moon and full moon phases, before returning through the gibbous moon, third-quarter moon, crescent moon and new moon phases. The terms old moon and new moon are interchangeable, although new moon is more common. Half moon is often used to mean the first- and third-quarter moons.

But then.... I like the moon.....

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:35 pm

NoOOOOO I will not succumb to the temptation, I shall be good and not put up a piccy of a moon ing even though Del likes them. ;) :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 pm

I....can't......resist......it. Here's one I prepared earlier. :D

(I've been trying to get a series of moon photos at different phases for use in a comp later this year but the weather is not co-operating by clashing the clear skies with when I'm at work and cloudy when I'm off. :roll:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Good shot Penners, but it would be quite difficult to get that showing out of a car window as it went past. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 pm

I have only one answer to that.

I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Del » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Good shot Penners, but it would be quite difficult to get that showing out of a car window as it went past. :lol:

:o :o :o

You are SO rude! I know all about you scotsmen! I blame Mel Gibson!

mooning scotsmen.jpg

*flounces off!*
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Don't get me going on that film. :snooty:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:34 pm

why :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm

chris.ph wrote:why :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Good question, apart from the lack of a capital letter at the beginning of the sentence! ;)

Tony is Welsh and the Jocks are, well, Jocks. (Jocks is said with much love an affection, by the way).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 pm

There are numerous glaring historical mistakes with the film. Yes, people will argue that it's just a film and not to be taken seriously, but if you are making a film about real people and their part in history, then one would think that they'd at least base it on a real history.

You only have to Google "factual errors in Braveheart" and you'll get loads and loads of hits. This one is from Scottish History.com for example.

The trouble is, a lot of people think that the events in Braveheart are factual - and they are not. :P
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum