Sir Pterry's 10 fave books.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Sir Pterry's 10 fave books.

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 am

I've just discovered this on Amazon which I'd never seen before.
You may or may not know this (I didn't) so I'm posting it if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html ... 0552134600
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 am

Some interesting choices there. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 am

Hadn't you seen it before Tony?
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am

Erm... yes I have, but I still think there are some interesting choices. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

just ordered evolution man :D cheers pooh
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

:lol: Very interesting indeed - and now we know why Chesterton and Jerome K. Jerome were up there on the early recommendation quotes on CoM etc. :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

The only two on that list I've read are Evolution Man (very good) and The Origin of Species, which is mind blowing :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby cols » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:42 am

I've only read two of them as well, :D I've read Origins of Species more than once. Am still one the side of Eden but I do believe in Evolution, This is basically based on a lack of facts in that when thrown out of the Garden Adam and Eve are not the only humans so stands to reason the others on the outside must have come from somewhere!
cols

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:46 am

cols wrote:I've only read two of them as well, :D I've read Origins of Species more than once. Am still one the side of Eden but I do believe in Evolution, This is basically based on a lack of facts in that when thrown out of the Garden Adam and Eve are not the only humans so stands to reason the others on the outside must have come from somewhere!

How can you believe in evolution if you believe in creationism? :?
The two are mutually exclusive, aren't they? Surely that means you're half way to not believing in creationism. :P

Anyway, according to the Bible there were no other humans and all the begatting was incestuous. :D

Have you read Science of Discworld III yet, I think the author you mentioned on the other thread is mentioned?
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:27 am

That is interesting cols, does your church share your beliefs, or is this your own idea? (Not trying to fight, just asking :wink: ) I too had always thought they would be mutually exclusive. Did Adam and Eve evolve along with the rest of humans, or did they live in Eden for 3.8 billion years until evolution had caught up & then get kicked out? I'm just wondering how the two can fit together.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby cols » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 am

No it does not mean I'm half way Pooh, A lot of Christians believe in Evolution though strightly not the we all came from apes bit.Evolution is something that happens all around us ,all the time .
I will have to dig out some of my books on it but I've read a lot of Christian/Science books and they're not always at odds :D
cols

Postby cols » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:34 am

Dotsie wrote:That is interesting cols, does your church share your beliefs, or is this your own idea? (Not trying to fight, just asking :wink: ) I too had always thought they would be mutually exclusive. Did Adam and Eve evolve along with the rest of humans, or did they live in Eden for 3.8 billion years until evolution had caught up & then get kicked out? I'm just wondering how the two can fit together.

I have no idea how long they were there I'm going to have a quick look for the book I'm looking for and through Genesis so I'll back up my statement later. It's not my own idea , It's something thats been floating around for a while :D
cols

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 am

I agree, but I've never heard of a belief that can marry together Eden and evolution, so I was just wondering. But if you don't want to elaborate that's fine :wink:

ETA Oops crossed posts - never mind about the above!
Dotsie

Postby cols » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:13 am

Can't find the human evolution arguement :oops: maybe that did come from my head :oops:
As for the rest , The earth in the bible is hugely different from the one we now live in. Pre flood and for some time after conditions on the earth were such that longevity was normal up to even 800 yrs .In Genesis a firament over the earth of water in the form of vapour ,much like a canopy over the earth is decribed as this may account for the longevity. This canopy ceases to exist after the flood but longevity decreases slowly so there is some period of adaption.Everything on earth must now evolve to survive in new enviroment.

I'm not doing a good job of this, the info's in there somewhere but I can't seem to articulate what I'm trying to say

Maybe I'll just read up before I make statement :oops: I'll get back to this topic when I'm more coherant :D
cols

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 am

cols wrote:Pre flood and for some time after conditions on the earth were such that longevity was normal up to even 800 yrs.

:shock: Wow!
poohcarrot

Next

Return to The Broken Drum