1000 Strong.....and still growing

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm

i managed to stick a nail an inch(more like half an inch)into the ball of my thumb last week just went for a tetanus and carried on :lol: :lol: not, i whinged like a big girl :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Morty » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm

chris.ph wrote:i managed to stick a nail an inch(more like half an inch)into the ball of my thumb last week just went for a tetanus and carried on :lol: :lol: not, i whinged like a big girl :lol:

Chris you have my sympathy. Many years ago I fell 20’ through a scaffolding tower. Entirely my fault the planks were in the way and rather than playing safe I put my bonus first and moved the planks out of the way. I forgot I’d moved the back one and when I stepped back to admire my work I started my premature journey to the bottom.

When I landed I found I’d broken my collar bone, bitten through my chin and snapped off my two front teeth, my head had a 3’’ gash in it and I had a twisted ankle. I arrived at hospital and was patched up in no time. I thanked the nurse for all her efforts and started to put my coat on.

Oh you can’t go yet the nurse exclaimed you need a tetanus jab. In all innocence I began to roll up my sleeve only to be told to drop em. I bend over a trolley and prepared myself. Nothing on God’s earth could have prepared me for what followed. It felt like I’d been hit by a harpoon arrow. Fighting back the tears I pulled up my trousers and limped home. For days I limped and gained huge sympathy for the horrendous accident.

Ha.....The biggest accident was leaning over the trolley and letting that nurse assault me. Since that day I’ve had countless accidents and always when they ask me when the last time I had a tetanus jab was my answer has always been the same.....Ohhhh let me think.....Err.... about a month ago. It always works and I’ve never got whatever it is you get by not having a harpoon rammed into your backside.
Morty

Postby wicked woman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm

For some reason tetanus jabs given as a regular preventative don't hurt so much. My last one was in my arm and it made me ache for a couple of days, that's not so bad. I had to fight for it though, i was working as a gardener then and handling animal manure and the daft nurse still thought I should wait until I got a cut and then come in. They are a sadistic lot.
wicked woman

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:26 pm

it was in my arm not ars :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 pm

chris.ph wrote:it was in my arm not ars :lol: :lol:

They didn't shave you then, chris?
:roll:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm

not this time :lol: :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Well, now, I am sure the Mrs. misses her chance to laugh her arse off. I still giggle when I think about that post. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Batty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 pm

It will forever be one of my favourite posts!

Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby kakaze » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:03 am

Batty wrote:
chris.ph wrote:it was in my arm not ars :lol: :lol:

They didn't shave you then, chris?
:roll:

I have a feeling that it'll be a while before he drops his drawers for a nurse again. :lol:
kakaze

Postby chris.ph » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:57 pm

i didnt drop them the barstewards did it when i was asleep :x :roll: :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Penfold » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Morty wrote:
chris.ph wrote:i managed to stick a nail an inch(more like half an inch)into the ball of my thumb last week just went for a tetanus and carried on :lol: :lol: not, i whinged like a big girl :lol:

Chris you have my sympathy. Many years ago I fell 20’ through a scaffolding tower. Entirely my fault the planks were in the way and rather than playing safe I put my bonus first and moved the planks out of the way. I forgot I’d moved the back one and when I stepped back to admire my work I started my premature journey to the bottom.

When I landed I found I’d broken my collar bone, bitten through my chin and snapped off my two front teeth, my head had a 3’’ gash in it and I had a twisted ankle. I arrived at hospital and was patched up in no time. I thanked the nurse for all her efforts and started to put my coat on.

When I read your post, it immediately reminded me of The Brick Layers Lament. Sorry it took so long to find. :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby lyn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 am

Congratulations to Tony and Jason.
the next 1000 will probably accumulate quickly.
lyn

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:17 am

Morty wrote:

Oh you can’t go yet the nurse exclaimed you need a tetanus jab. In all innocence I began to roll up my sleeve only to be told to drop em. I bend over a trolley and prepared myself. Nothing on God’s earth could have prepared me for what followed. It felt like I’d been hit by a harpoon arrow. Fighting back the tears I pulled up my trousers and limped home. For days I limped and gained huge sympathy for the horrendous accident.

Ha.....The biggest accident was leaning over the trolley and letting that nurse assault me. Since that day I’ve had countless accidents and always when they ask me when the last time I had a tetanus jab was my answer has always been the same.....Ohhhh let me think.....Err.... about a month ago. It always works and I’ve never got whatever it is you get by not having a harpoon rammed into your backside.

You seem to be able to knock yerself in uncomfortable places much more than anyone else i know :lol: You seem to be the sort that believes in their stars and trusts that fate isnt drunk or senile :wink: Take care. :P
Why do tetanuses hurt so much, is it the needle or the stuff in it?
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Morty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 pm

One of the reasons why we have over 1000 members.
I do not need to say anymore

Jan Van Quirm wrote:No offence intended to anyone with this as it will extend the debate, but this is my personal fact, not wishful thinking or being 'brave'.

'Lots' of people if not everyone gets 'depressed' at some point in their lives - it might only last a day, or even a minute, but you can't be human if you don't EVER feel sad, or powerless, or so frightened you don't know what to do, or who to turn to. The depression follows on when you slip into a tightening cycle of those feelings without even noticing it, because people are supposed to be 'weighed down' or 'upset' when they lose a loved one or suffer some huge disappointment. Depression then is natural and helps to disperse your emotions relatively harmlessly because, after a while, it numbs the pain and lets time do the healing eventually. Subsitute 'acceptance' for healing if you like - it's a better term in some ways, as some emotional hurts will never heal altogether.

Most people do not, and never will, have clinical depression, which is a different animal altogether. I 'got over it' and' pulled myself together' again and again - from the age of 6 until I was 45. I compromised every emotion every ambition, until I didn't know myself, refused medication because I was 'of course' going to get over it. I wouldn't see the pattern and I did what a lot of people do - hit the bottle really hard more and more, convinced myself I was 'being silly', that I should count my blessings and to settle for a woefully inadequate marriage and work that made me scream in pain internally for years, because it wasn't 'that bad'.

The medication doesn't always work that well, but it's 'good enough' most of the time once you do cave in and admit that you have a problem and so deal with it. Then you find other, better ways to handle it, so you then can stay on top of it a lot of the time. I was going to say stay in control, but it doesn't work like that. I had to learn to let my emotions, especially anger out and still I find myself slipping when things get stressful and swallow my urge to lash out, because I'll 'be a nuisance' and 'make others feel bad', to the point where I can't handle being in a room with a half dozen people I know and like very much, without wanting to bolt because I can't stand them talking to or around me.

If someone's blind or can't walk, people can understand that to quite a high degree because you can imagine what it would be like to lose those abilities. With an emotional/mental disability or impairment or however you want to pitch it, it's much more difficult for the average 'normally' adjusted person to understand. And like we've been saying in here, depressives are very good at hiding or making compromises, so they can seem perfectly functional on the surface, but just because they appear that way doesn't mean they're not ill. Clinical depression isn't viewed as being an illness because people can 'recover' enough to lead a normal life and so it's a 'condition' medically.

For chronics like myself and Tony, and many others on this forum, and all around you out in the real world, even the stranger sitting next to you, could seem quite well-adjusted and happy with life but they may nevertheless be suffering from a potentially fatal 'condition'. I say I would never take my own life and I really will try not to - but one day I may not be able to stop myself. So I take the pills and I get by a day at a time and try to be merciful to myself.

Writing in general and this forum and a few others are my lifeline. So thank you Dotsie for starting this thread and asking for help to understand why your neighbour chose to die. (((hugs))) :) This is my experience of despression - for others it's different because it has to be. Everyone's different. :wink:
Morty

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Penfold wrote:
Morty wrote:

When I read your post, it immediately reminded me of The Brick Layers Lament. Sorry it took so long to find. :)

I love that routine :lol:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum