1000 Strong.....and still growing

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

1000 Strong.....and still growing

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:04 am

And so it’s finally happened and The Forum is 1000 members strong.

The only thing that surprises me is that it has taken so long. Terry Pratchett’s book sales speak for themselves and need no mention from me. Many of the members post everyday and it’s largely down to those loyal members that makes the forum so informative and such a great place to not only learn about the Discworld but also a place where just about any topic under the sun can be warmly accepted and discussed.

To those of us who for whatever reason are single the forum provides friendship and companionship. I know that several members are also too ill to work full time at the moment. I fall into both categories and the forum has been a saviour to me. I have made friends on the forum and those friendships I’m delighted to say have gone beyond the boards and they have become friendships that will last a lifetime. I can honestly say the forum has helped shorten some very long boring days and feel sure my thoughts will be echoed by many more members.

So far I have not mentioned any names as the people who post everyday are well known to all of us and the members who have become close friends of mine know who they are. However I think that one of the reasons the forum is such a success is due the unique way it is moderated and operated and for that reason I think that Tony and Jason deserve a special mention.

Moderating a forum is not an easy as I found out when was asked to moderate on a forum. To do the job properly you have to give a lot of your time. I know Jason does most of the technical stuff like backing up the forum regularly and making sure it continues to work as smoothly as it does. Jason’s work goes largely unseen but the fact that the forum always works and to my knowledge never crashes is a testament to how hard Jason works.

As well as moderating Tony takes on several other roles that are way beyond the call of duty. The members map and the members Birthday greetings that he never forgets are just a couple of the duties Tony takes on top of being a very prolific poster on a whole range of topics. I’m sure at one time or another we have all had cause to ask Tony for help or advice and certainly in my own experience you don’t have to wait too long for a reply.
I’m sure the whole forum will join in with me by saying a heartfelt thank you to both Jason and Tony for the time they give up and the effort they put in to give us such a brilliant place to meet and make friends.

My hope for the future is that the next 1000 members come as quickly as possible and that this wonderful forum continues to grow in the hopes that many more people get the same pleasure that the forum has given me.

I leave this thread to the rest of the membership to add their thoughts.
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:47 am

You soppy old fool you. :lol:

I do agree with your sentiments though, so tonight will raise my glass of beer in a toast to both Tony and Jason for their excellent work. :P

(not quite sure about the 1000th member's name and am looking into the possibility of legal action regarding copyright infringement.) :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:19 am

poohcarrot wrote:You soppy old fool you. :lol:

I do agree with your sentiments though, so tonight will raise my glass of beer in a toast to both Tony and Jason for their excellent work. :P

(not quite sure about the 1000th member's name and am looking into the possibility of legal action regarding copyright infringement.) :lol:

Guilty as charged Pooh, there are times when I let the hard side of me slip to reveal a soft chewy center :oops:

I agree the name of the 1000th member bears a striking resemblance to that of your own but they have left off the ''carrot'' part so maybe unlike you Pooh they're not orange with a tuft of green hair :lol:

If you need a witness to say in court that I've known you for the last 3 months and you had the name Pooh first then as long as you can fix it so the trial takes place in Japan I will be happy to support you.

Last week of July first week in August would be good for me :oops:
Morty

Postby Quark » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 am

Hurrah to our moderators, our members, and Mr Pratchett himself. :)
Quark

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 am

I agree a big thank you to Tony and Jason and a pat on the back for all the members who make this such a friendly place (WARNING for your own protection do not attempt to pat yourself on the back if you have not been cleared to do so by a doctor or chiropracter as you risk dislocating your own shoulder :lol: )
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 pm

A predictable reply from me but here goes.....Can my Pat be in her early thirties, single, brunette, slim, tall and into Pink Floyd.

Taxi. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Morty

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Hurrah! 1000 members :P I agree with everything you said Morty so a big THANK YOU to Tony and Jason! :D
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Definitely a bit vote of thanks to Tony and Jason, here they are hard at work.Image. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I heard that when Jason called Tony to tell him the membership had hit 1000 Tony went home early.......

Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:49 pm

:lol: PMSL

Thanks guys, but I think I speak for Jason here as well - a site is only as good as its members and the members here make moderating the site a very easy job.

So you all deserve Pat to do her stuff on your back. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Librarian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Ook Ook
The Librarian

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm

The Librarian wrote:Ook Ook

Are you sure? :? I'd not heard that, but you'd know these things better than me. Thanks for the tip. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby The Librarian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
The Librarian wrote:Ook Ook

Are you sure? :? I'd not heard that, but you'd know these things better than me. Thanks for the tip. :wink:

Ook
The Librarian

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 pm

To bring this celebration back on topic....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Hey, it wasn't my fault. It was the Librarian who went off topic. :P
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum