I Just Don't Know...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

I Just Don't Know...

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Perhaps some of you may know this person... I recieved an email with the following request:

Hello,

I would like to book for a paintball game in your field.A group of 15 staffers will be coming to your area for a conference so we would like to book for a 3 day paintball game to unwind at the end of the conference.The game dates would be 11th,12th and 13th of Feb.2010.KIndly confirm availablity.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Watford
Director HR
New Edenbrook Ltd
20 Lochside Place
Edinburgh Park
Edinburgh
EH12 9RG
Email:danielwatford@rocketmail.com
Tel: +447024069659
Fax #: +44(0)8447742476

Now... if anyone knows this person, perhaps you might explain to him that in February, in the Midwest... there is usually 2-6 feet of snow on the ground... I am going to send a nice email back. However it did make me wonder WHERE this person is, and Does it snow there?
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Oh! it snows in Edinburgh,which on the East Coast of Scotland the cold part. Edinburgh Park is a business area on the outskirts of the city they will be Ok as long as they are not wearing their Kilts.

It may be works conference check the post code in Google what you would call the ZIP (EH12 9RG)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 am

I am just going to have to explain that we are closed for the winter mostly because we cannot get to the field due to the 6 feet of snow on the road. :lol: I have been schmoozing our business for over 5 years now and Finally we seem to have achieved International recognition!!! :lol: :lol:

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:13 am

Despite knowing everyone in Britain, I have never heard of this guy. He's obviously an imposter! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 am

The name sounds familiar. He could have got the wrong add. by accident, I got one of those, but it does sound a bit odd.
Mind you, i did read the first line of your signature without realizing it wasnt part of the post

does it snow there? Yes it does, it's a well known fact....
:lol: :lol:
I do that a lot.
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:13 pm

STOP.

I think it's spam.

Look at the e-mail address - rocketmail.com.

I've put the company name and postcode in google, and it does appear to be a ligitimate company, though they've changed the name slightly on your e-mail, and the correct address appears to be No. 10, not No. 20.

http://www.edenbrook.co.uk/about/contact.htm

Also note that all their e-mail addresses are edenbrook.co.uk.

If you reply, it may alert the spammers that yours is a real e-mail address, and you'll be spammed into the middle of next month.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:25 pm

I just got an email from another paintball field in South Dakota. Because I put the letter on this site, one of the referees was able to stop his boss from shelling out $6000 for transportation.

Woo Hoo! Perhaps, someone can let this company know that their name is being spammed all over the US and maybe other countries too. This one was to be set up in March. It makes me Very happy that the guy Googled the phone numbers and such and actually Found this thread!!!!!

Woot Sir Terry Saves The Day!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Jeez.

I've just rung them, and the receptionist was less than helpful.

I might just fax them instead.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 pm

And I've just realised that the telephone number given in the original e-mail is a mobile number.

All looks very dodgy to me.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Fax wouldn't go through.

I'm beginning to think that this is one big con, with a false website.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 pm

I think they may be terrorists who are broke... :lol: The guy in South Dakota has contacted the States Attorney General's office. I doubt that prosectution will occur due to the fact that they only "tried" to get the transportation set up. I am just happy that I am not alone in this. Google Rocks!!! It is good to know that people are aware enough to check things out.

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 am

Sorry to correct you, bouncy, but rocketmail is actually one of the yahoo mail names so you can have sam@yahoo, sam@ymail, and sam@rocketmail.
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm

It IS a scam, I am getting multiple emails from people who say they Googled the info and found my post.

Now, I just need to figure out whether it is coming from someone who is playing with my head or not. :roll: like I said, I just don't know...

btw Ponder, most real companies use their own email sites to keep employees from messing about when they should be working. :wink:

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 am

Oh, i see. Sorry. :oops:
That's nice. Hooray for sir PTerry.
Hip, Hip, HOORAY!!
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote: btw Ponder, most real companies use their own email sites to keep employees from messing about when they should be working. :wink:

That's what I meant - why would the proper website show it's e-mail addresses as going via their domain name, yet the address on the e-mail that Tina received was one of the generic ones that anyone can use to set up an account.

Plus the phone number is a mobile phone, which really gets the warning bells ringing.

Bouncy Castle

Return to The Broken Drum