The games kitties play

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The games kitties play

Postby Danny B » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:50 pm

What it says in the title really...*

My cat has recently developed a game I call The Old Man of the Sea, wherein he sits on my shoulders and graciously allows me to ferry him around the bungalow as his whims dictate, by means of looking in the direction he wants to go and miaowing plaintively along with the judicious use of his claws. He's even mentioned it on Twitter.

He enjoys this almost as much as Make the Human Yell in Fright, which involves hiding somewhere improbable, then leaping out with a loud chirrup when I amble by. I'm still not 100% sure how he manages to get inside the kitchen cupboards and close the doors behind him. :?

I'd appreciate the postings of other people owned by cats of any games not mentioned in The Unadulterated Cat, as he's still young and may develop new hobbies as the years pass. Forewarned is forearmed...

* Following up the thread title by humming "Nah-nah-nah, nah-nah, naaah-nah" like the old reggae song is entirely optional. I know I'm doing it.
Danny B

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 am

:lol: Cats are great!

My cat used to love to be chased. She used to look at me and stand ready to run. If I pretended I was going to chase her, she'd run a short way and then come back and wait again until I actually did chase her around the flat.

She also liked to play hide-and-seek. She'd suddenly go missing and it would take me forever to find her. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: The games kitties play

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am

Danny B wrote:What it says in the title really...*

He enjoys this almost as much as Make the Human Yell in Fright, which involves hiding somewhere improbable, then leaping out with a loud chirrup when I amble by. I'm still not 100% sure how he manages to get inside the kitchen cupboards and close the doors behind him. :?

* Following up the thread title by humming "Nah-nah-nah, nah-nah, naaah-nah" like the old reggae song is entirely optional. I know I'm doing it.

Getting inside the kitchen cupboards and closing the doors behind him sounds like his playing a variant of Offside, at which my first cat was an expert. We came home one day and found her sitting inside my gerbil's cage (cage doors still closed and latched):shock: :?: , the said gerbils cowering in the corner and the cat looking guiltily Image.

Fortunately, the gerbils were unharmed and we found on inspection that part of the cage floor had rotted enough for her to force her way in! :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:27 pm

My kitten somehow managed to climb up the pipes in the gas maintenance shaft and come out on the ceiling through a hole. It couldn't get back down. It took me about 5 minutes to find it because i kept walking back up and down the corridor following its voice until i just happened to look up for no apparent reason and saw a ball of fluff stuck to the ceiling. :lol: :lol:
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby AM » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm

My cat likes to "hide" behind what piece of furniture that is availible and then leap out with sharp claws (or teeth if he is hungry), ready to bury them in the legs of the person who walks by.

He also likes to play "I´m not at all a 11 year old cat of 4, 5kg and therefore I can jump up on your shoulders while you are making dinner". For a better respons, it can also be played with sharp claws.
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Postby theoldlibrarian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Years ago I was staying in my grandparents house and when I woke up in the morning I opened a wardrobe that was fully closed over and a cat hurled itself at me.
To this day I dont know how the cat got in the cupboard and closed it again. My grandparents also had a poodle and one day I saw the cat chasing the poodle around a tree.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:12 pm

i've always loved cats, and the fact that cats always like me. All the cats but one. My boyfriend's cat, who is scared of everything and everybody, so he has an apartment almost all for himself, and if my bf invites me in, he has to call his father to bring the cat to another place before we arrive :evil: but the poor cat doesn't like it, so usually he stays there happy and warm. He controls them in this and so many other things like this. how many times I've heard him saying " but the poor cat..".. :evil: grrr the little devil owns two men, not one, and me too, in a way!!
p.s. did I say little? He looks like a hippo with a cat's face :twisted:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Danny B » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm

theoldlibrarian wrote:Years ago I was staying in my grandparents house and when I woke up in the morning I opened a wardrobe that was fully closed over and a cat hurled itself at me.
To this day I dont know how the cat got in the cupboard and closed it again. My grandparents also had a poodle and one day I saw the cat chasing the poodle around a tree.

Hmmmm, seems a little... unambitious? >>>Clicky<<< ;) Greebo IS real and he inhabits the continental US. (Or possibly Russia, I think they still have Black Bears as well. :?)

As to the cat in the wardrobe, is it possible that your grandparents live in a horror film? I happen to know that there's an entire sub-breed of cat which only exists in old Hammer films, if you watch a lot of them then you'll see several examples of the Horror Film Cat in its natural environment. (I.E. Flying dramatically at the protagonist's head during moments of great tension, whilst emitting a blood-curdling hiss.) How long ago was this? Horror Film Cats are rarely found far from either Dracula, Frankenstein and his monster or Dr. Jekyll and his alter-ego... If it was more than three weeks ago, then you're safe to assume that you were, in fact, a red herring in someone else's story and go about your business as usual. If less than three weeks...

RUN!
Danny B

Postby janet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 pm

My cat, Dinah the First, would go out of the back door when I got home from work, but completely ignore it as a means of gaining entry when she decided to come home. So I would just be settling down to cook supper when she would cry piteously at the front door to be let in.
On cold evenings the time-lapse between the exit and raucous miaowing would get shorter until one winter's night I barely had time to put a teabag in a cup when there was a knock on the front door. It was an indignant Asian gentleman (in Leicester) who gave me a lecture on the cruelty of making a cat stay outside on a cold night!
The same cat took exception to the fact that I had to have some home-improvements done in order to qualify for a Council mortgage. She would spend days away and came home once with a note attached to her collar which read 'Please feed this cat and look after it properly'.
Maybe her game was related to the one teenagers play and related to making the parent feel as guilty as hell.
This was the same cat who, when we moved to rural Shropshire, discovered the delights of catching moles. Not for food, she told me they taste nasty, but for me......at least one every day. She single-cattedly eliminated moles from the farm and I would see her half a mile away coming across the distant fields to bring me another mole.
Maybe we could all collaborate on a cat book :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 pm

theoldlibrarian wrote:Years ago I was staying in my grandparents house and when I woke up in the morning I opened a wardrobe that was fully closed over and a cat hurled itself at me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I read this quotation in one of my books and thought it quite apt for this subject:
Bruce Graham wrote:Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 am

My cat is going through what I desperately hope is phase rather than a game. She has become a four legged demolition expert. Over the last few months I have had to replace a few items that have either worn themselves out or just packed up working. First thing to blow up was my computer monitor and in my excitement to connect my new monitor I discarded the empty box on the floor. For the next few days it became Aley’s new home.
Then for some reason she destroyed it in 24 hours.

Next came a surround sound system for my TV. Again the box that it came in became her second home. That one didn’t fare as well as the first one and she demolished that one after two days.

On Monday a very dear friend came to see me and brought me all manner of things to help me out whist I’m unable to return to work. By the time I’d finished putting all the goodies away Aley had once again claimed squatters rights to the latest cardboard box.

This new ‘’home’’ has lasted less than 24 hours and now lies in tatters in my lounge.

Questions to all cat experts.

Is this a game?

Is it something that needs to be stopped?

She is approximately 18 months old and prefers dried cat food to soft tinned cat food so I’m guessing she doesn’t need to chew on things as her teeth get a good workout each time she eats.

So far her chewing hasn’t been on any cables or furniture but I’d be grateful for any advice or suggestions.
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:42 am

Cats love cardboard boxes! A friend of mine once saved cigarette coupons to get a cat bed. She saved thousands of the things and badgered everyone she knew to save theirs. Eventually the bed arrived in the post in a cardboard box. Both her cats never ever showed any interest in the bed - but the box was absolute heaven to them. :lol:

Sometimes they shred them. Does she have places to scratch her claws on? Cardboard might seem like just the thing.
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Sometimes they shred them. Does she have places to scratch her claws on? Cardboard might seem like just the thing.

Oh Yes!

A £9.95p purpose made scratching post that I could not afford. She looked at sniffed it and has never touched it......Before you ask it'didn't come in a cardboard box :lol:
Morty

Postby Danny B » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Morty wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:

Oh Yes!

A £9.95p purpose made scratching post that I could not afford. She looked at sniffed it and has never touched it......Before you ask it'didn't come in a cardboard box :lol:

First of all, make the sure the scratching post is firmly anchored. You could get screws and use a drill to secure it firmly to the floor, or do what I did and just make sure that part of the base is always wedged firmly underneath the gap at the bottom of the couch by nudging it with your foot each time you pass. Most cats hate a scratching post that lunges towards their heads as soon as they pull on it.

Secondly, make sure that good things always happen near or on the post. Sprinkle catnip onto the base, rub it into the sissal rope and so on. When you feed Aley a treat, rather than do it by hand drop pieces of it onto the base or on the top of the post. After a while, she'll scratch the post to see if this makes the good things happen again. Make sure to praise her thoroughly when this happens, scratch her behind her ears or under her chin or wherever her favourite spot is, and feed her something nice. After a few times of doing this, scratching the post will become its own reward and she'll go to it whenever she feels like a stretch.

Re cardboard boxes: Serene acceptance of the fact that cardboard boxes belong to the cat by default, immediately upon arrival into her territory and shall be played with/slept in/shredded mercilessy upon her whim at a given moment is really your only option. Brown paper bags of the type handed out in some shops will go the same way. ;)
Danny B

Next

Return to The Broken Drum