What goes around comes around!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 pm

How many times have I heard this well used phrase. I never expected my cat to bring home to me how true it was. When I was a youngster like many I played Knock and Run. A simple and ‘’harmless’’ game! For the goody goody members of the forum who have never played or even heard of Knock and Run I’ll explain how it was played.

Basically a house would be picked preferably with a porch to give the ‘’knocker’’ more time to get clear. The knocker would walk up to the front door of the house and either knock on the door or ring the bell and then run away. Hopefully the house owner would then chase us.

It didn’t take much to entertain us in the early 1960’s.

Throughout my adult years I was never plagued by today’s youngsters playing Knock and Run and I thought that with the kids of today all having a computer or a games console it had died out.

About 8 months ago I took pity on a badly beaten Cat and gave her a warm and loving home.

My childhood has come back to haunt me in a way I never expected. Aley has a natural feline trait to wander around the flat more or less as she pleases but during the recent cold spell I have been doing all I can to keep my office warm and whenever Aley leaves the room I close the door after her.

Over the last couple of days Aley has taken me back to my childhood and made me realize what a pain in the arse I used to be to the victims of my ‘’harmless ‘’ games of Knock and Run.

Aley now scratches the door of the office to let me know she is behind the door and as soon as I open the door she turns on her heels and sprints off down the hallway at the speed of light. This happens several times during the course of the day and it’s becoming just a little bit annoying.

What goes around comes around......Oh yes it does!
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 pm

You have just described the well-known cat game - 'Wrong-side-of-the-door'.

Cats are great game players and all their games have rules. The trouble is the rules are known to the cats and the humans have to work them out. These rules are subject to change without prior notification - the human is expected to keep up with these changes. :wink:

Morty, you'll have to try and get a copy of Terry's 'The Unadulterated Cat' (there's a whole section on cat games in there) - it sounds to me as if Aley qualifies as what Terry calls 'A Real Cat'. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:19 pm

we used to call it bobby knocking, we used to tie a bit of cotton to the knockers :lol: :lol: little buggers next door do it to us now coz they know the dog will bark, but i can see them running past the front window :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Morty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks Tony,

I started listening / reading The Discworld books in order. I drifted off and read Soul Music and Reaper Man at the suggestion of forum members.

I now have my very own Mentor who is guiding me through The Discworld and telling me which books to read / listen to and in which order.

As I'm rapidly turning into a cat person I will going to Waterstones.....You will remember at my Waterstones there is a rather attractive assistant who doesn't know it yet but she will be serving me with a copy of The Unadulterated Cat very very soon! :oops:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... t/3422896/

Of course I will need to get permission from my Mentor to break away from the Discworld for a few days but as my mentor is rather fond of cats I'm sure my request will be granted.

Oh and my Cat is a REAL CAT and most definately not a 'Fizzy Keg Cat'

I am really looking forward to reading this book and thank you for bringing it to my attention Tony.......

Thank you also for making the right hand side of my monitor flash at me :wink:
Morty

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:42 pm

We called it Belletje trekken :D We used to target houses with dogs in the hope they would bark :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Morty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:We called it Belletje trekken :D We used to target houses with dogs in the hope they would bark :wink:

My goodness I had no idea it was an International game.......According to Chris they play it in Wales as well.

So far we have;-

Holland
England
Wales

How far has this game travelled............ :shock: :shock: :shock:
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:59 pm

We used to call it Rat-A-Tat-Ginger. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dr Theobald » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:18 pm

When Aley is on the other side of the door scratching to seek your attention an 'interesting' response is to slide a piece of paper through the gap below the door and move it around.

She will LOVE that

I speak from experience - based on 4 cats in past years

Dr T
Dr Theobald

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 pm

This cat's owner used to play the paper game... :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:This cat's owner used to play the paper game... :shock:

Sorry Tony I'm very fond of Aley but she knows that my desk, computers, printers, scanners, and telephones are all out of bounds.

An attack like the one in the clip on my printer and we would be having words.....words that even a cat would understand.

I'm all too aware that the office belongs to Aley and she allows me to use it...It's funny though because when I go out the office door is locked with Aley in the hallway :lol:
Morty

Postby janet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:02 pm

The game was known as Knocky Nine-doors in my early youth. My buddies and I rarely took part in this game but i recall once, when my little brother was tagging along, we played it but omitted to tell him to run away.............still wondering if he ever got over the telling off he got from an angry bearded bloke.......I'll ask him one day. I believe it's called Knock Down Ginger in other parts of the UK.
The feline version is somewhat different and it is an integral part of the feline lore.
'A cat will always need to be on the other side of a closed door'.....FACT :D
I shared my home with a cat who learnt how to knock on doors (and windows) and taught her acolytes her trick. The mists of time ensure that this was amusing but it was probably annoying :evil:
I still adore cats and wish I'd known about the electronic boundaries (eg as mentioned in Sir Terry's words about keeping cats safe from traffic) sooner. I lost two cats to the road and two others carried the injuries for the rest of their lives.
In short....cats have their own laws of being and are so fascinating that, if you share your life with a cat, you'd better follow them .....or else :)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:11 pm

At least she keeps it exciting. Tiddles the Going Postal cat simply had a routine, at eleven am it was entering the postmasters office, making a circuit and exiting said room. In Making Money, Moist, having been offered the "bank job" was at his desk, when an alarm clock went Ding... he got up opened the door and allowed the cat to enter and do the circuit of the room then leave. Telling himself that he was NOT in a rut at all he proceeded to reset the alarm... mostly because it was unthinkable to allow Tiddles to stand with head pressed against the door for eternity until he could finish his appointed rounds.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby swreader » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:53 am

I'm pretty sure the game you describe exists in the US, but being a sweet little child :lol: , I never did such a thing so I don't know the name.

As to cats--Heinlein wrote a fun novel in the 50s, called The Door Into Summer which opens with the human narrator talking about the place where he and his cat live (old farmhouse in Vermont if I remember correctly). The problem is the house has 11 doors, and the cat insists on checking each door (in the case of bad weather) looking for the door into summer. Every cat I've ever had seems to have this idea--somewhere there's a door into summer.

Then there's the in & out game, which is the cat version of your knock and run game. Paul Gallico describes it in The Silent Miaow which is out of print I'm afraid. But th book purports to be a training manual for kittens, written by a cat. The in & Out game is designed to keep the human coming to the door all the time.

Still, I wouldn't trade Emily and Victoria for anything (except Tony). :D
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:24 am

Paul Gallico's book The Silent Miaow, that Sharlene mentions is hysterical. It is out of print, but you can ususally find copies to buy second-hand online. Well worth checking out. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Polly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:22 pm

It was called Chap Door Runaway in my area - yes it needed to be obvious for the dafter ones in our group. I grew up in local authority tenements so you had to start at the top and make it all the way out of the close without being caught! My kids are in primary school and I dont think they've ever heard of playing it.
Polly

Next

Return to The Broken Drum