alien invaders

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

alien invaders

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:12 pm

go on then bicker :idea: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Cris De burgh said that Jesus was an alien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZg7tvGN9o

And do you really believe in another 1,000 years that mankind will still be around?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:21 pm

1 000 years? Yes. 1 000 000? Questionable.

Are there aliens? Well, when you consider just how many billions of galaxies there are, and how many billions of stars are in each of them, I would say that's a yes. Are they going to come over here and start a fight? Unlikely!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:34 pm

(The following figures could be inaccurate, they are what I believe to be true without checking)

The dinosaurs lasted approx 198 million years. Humans have been around for maybe 80,000 years (a bit dodgy that last stat)

The population of the Earth reached 1 billion in the 1950s. It now stands at approx 6.5 billion. It is increasing exponentially.

The only way we are going to survive as a race is if there is a cull of the human species. This might happen with a nuclear war, a new pig-flu type virus, global warming, crust displacement etc etc. Whatever happens, the Earth will still exist, but we humans might not.

I agree with Dotsie that 1 million years later there might not be humans controlling and destroying this planet.

As a large % of this planet believe in some medieval religion and some non-existant God-like figure, my money's on the nuclear option.
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Humph.....I thought this was a post about my favorite computer game :oops:

Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:57 pm

If you hit the UFO after 24 shots you get 300 points (possibly. It's been a long time since I rock 'n' rolled!) :P
poohcarrot

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:58 pm

That's your favourite computer game? :shock:

Anyway, Poohcarrot's more or less right, as long as nobody checks the stats too closely. Humans have been on the earth for a very small amount of time, relatively speaking. The most likely outcome of our population expansion, I think, is mass starvation, and hopefully when people are knee-deep in cannibalism and eating tarmac, politicians will finally realize we need population control :? .

As for us being around in a million years? I'm not sure. Humans, as a species, seem nigh-on unstoppable. Even disaster of epic proportions - an asteroid impact; a supervolcano - would hardly wipe out every single human left on the planet. Nothing short of complete obliteration of our planet would result in extinction.
Therefore I predict that humans will still be around in a million years, although whether they resemble us at all will be something else. Of course, whether having humans around in the year 1,002,010 is a good thing is an entirely different matter.
Quark

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 pm

The people who built the pyramids were a technologically advanced race of humans. Is it possible the pyramids and Sphynx are much older than we believe and that there was a major disaster of epic proportions that wiped out almost all the human race maybe 6,000-8,000 years ago?
Hence the Noah's Ark flood stories in lots of cultures, and the fact that Creationists think the world is only 6,000 years old because of Bible dating.
poohcarrot

Postby bikkit » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Only you can save man- oh wait they're all dead :P

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:15 pm

:lol: Nice one, bikkit.

Anyway, I'm sure that game's called Space Invaders. Which never really made sense to me because as far as I'm concerned they can invade as much space as they want :lol: As long as they don't invade planets... well... who cares?

Alien invasions have certainly come a long way in video games...
Quark

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:26 pm

But if ever humans travel to other planets and found a species less intelligent than themselves, they'd do what they've always done ie; pillage, loot, kill, then try to make them all believe in God. Exactly like the Conquistadors, the British Empire and the US up until 50 years ago with before civil rights. We are a race that does not look kindly on people/species that are different to the prevailing dominant culture of the time. :(
poohcarrot

Postby janet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:19 pm

ie. Star Trek!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Skip_Snip » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Well the roots of humanity can be traced approximately 3 million years back, but fully recognisable human beings have been around for about 30,000 :)
Crash KaPop, Bang KaBoom, Zam KaZap, Zam KaZoom !!
Skip_Snip

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:28 am

poohcarrot wrote:The people who built the pyramids were a technologically advanced race of humans. Is it possible the pyramids and Sphynx are much older than we believe and that there was a major disaster of epic proportions that wiped out almost all the human race maybe 6,000-8,000 years ago?
Hence the Noah's Ark flood stories in lots of cultures, and the fact that Creationists think the world is only 6,000 years old because of Bible dating.

That's utter poppycock! Who in there right mind would put forward such drivel?!

Um...er...Terry Pratchett! Because this is basically what the book Nation is about. :lol:

poohcarrot wrote:But if ever humans travel to other planets and found a species less intelligent than themselves, they'd do what they've always done ie; pillage, loot, kill, then try to make them all believe in God. Exactly like the Conquistadors, the British Empire and the US up until 50 years ago with before civil rights. We are a race that does not look kindly on people/species that are different to the prevailing dominant culture of the time.

Isn't this what the film Avatar is all about? 8)
poohcarrot

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:12 am

If you've ever studied mico-organisms in a petrie dish you'll know how they breed up quickly while there's lots of food, but eventually they choke on their own sh#t. Well, the world is just a very large dish.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bob

Next

Return to The Broken Drum