Ask Stibbons - Technical Questions

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 am

Go Quark. Very helpful instructions on using Paint. Hopefully this post will show my lovely new avatar....No it's not me. It's Ussama bin Laden in a Peter Pan costume. I took it at a fancy dress party we had a couple of weeks ago.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 am

Ok. The next tricksy hobbit question is...how do I post a pic from my hard drive into the main chat window?
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bob

Postby Quark » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 am

Mmkay.
First, you need to upload it onto the internet, seeing as the forums won't let you put one in the post directly from your hard disk. My advice is to use an image-sharing site, like Imageshack. Just click the browse button to find your picture, then click upload. The site will give you a link to where they've stored it. Copy that, then go into your post and create the code:
Code: Select all
[img]http://imageshack.us/whereveryouveputmypicture.jpg[/img]

Just put the [img]bracket,%20then%20paste%20the%20link,%20then%20the[/img] bracket.
Quark

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 am

Photobucket is another free image hosting site.

After you've joined, you basically use it to search your hard drive for the photos you want, upload them, alter them for size etc (if you want to) and then copy the code they provide and paste it directly to the board. It really is simple. :D

Here's a picture of the ready-made code they supply:

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks Quark and Tony (and Bob for beating me to the question that I wanted to ask). I've tried Quarks instructions and they're very easy to follow (although the image was not great - more practise required).

I will give Photoshack a try next time for a comparison.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Quark » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:04 am

Do you mean that the picture quality was not great? It should be the same as the one you put in as long as you don't specifically request a resize via the options.
Quark

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 am

No, I was refering to my inexperience and the size of the photo and the need for a magnifying glass to see it! Tony put me straight though for the suggested size (640x840).

Many thanks again. both sites are very easy to use for beginners and technoklutzes like myself.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 am

:wink: Glad to help Penfold!
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 pm

I have a software question. Has anyone used any (preferably free) software to merge pdf files? There seem to be a few available, but I don't know which might be the best. Ta.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Woohoo. It worked. Thank you Quark, Thank you Tony. If you go here...

http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... 0&start=90

You'll see.
Bob

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Bob wrote:Woohoo. It worked. Thank you Quark, Thank you Tony. If you go here...

http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... 0&start=90

You'll see.
:lol: We'll make experts of you all yet!

Sorry Dotsie, I have no idea about your question. :(
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:17 am

I'm not an expert with PDF files, myself. I'll have a mess around in Acrobat but it's unlikely that I'll figure it out. Anyone here use PDFs a lot?
Quark

Postby Morty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 am

I'm far from being an expert but I'm a self taught enthusiast who has learnt a great deal since I joined this forum. In particular from Tonyblack and Quark.

I learn something new most days and usually I learn by my mistakes, and boy have been there some mistakes.....My record is having to re format my desktop machine twice in one week. :oops:

Computers Grrrrrrr can't live with em but you can't live without them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Morty

Postby Quark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:12 am

Computing tip of the week: Never go wireless. :evil:
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 am

Danny B wrote:My inbox currently has one PM in it and it's listed as 2% full, so extrapolating on from there it can contain 50 PM's. Mind you, extrapolation is a dangerous game... Thirty minutes ago I had eaten zero sausage butties. Now I've eaten two. According to my calculations, after the next two hours have passed, due to my exponentially expanding consumption of sausage sandwiches on a thirty minute schedule, I will have consumed 278. :shock:

It's probably 50 PM's though. :D

Thanks Danny B, I must admit with much embarassment I had never noticed the "% full" at the top of the page. Now I've seen it, and I found my own question pretty silly now :oops: :oops:
CrysaniaMajere

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum