BOOK OF LINES

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Sometimes it does the heart good to go all sloppy and sentimental :D (how cute the icecouple!!!)

a sentence I gave my grandma in a little magnet :
Don't look at the rain, think of the rainbow

She loved it :D
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Sharlene has a fridge magnet that says: "Turn your face to the sun and shadows fall behind".

A few years back I was on holiday in Slovenia and a few of us went into a souvenir shop. One of the women collected fridge magnets and asked the shop keeper if they had any. He looked blank and asked what a fridge magnet was for. Apparently they've never made it to Slovenia. It was hysterical to see this woman trying to explain what a fridge magnet was and why anyone would want one. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 am

A colleague has a message on his desk that reads "You can fool some of the people all of the time. And these are the ones you need to concentrate on" :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Cheery » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:49 pm

"Living long isn't always the better way. It doesn't work like that. Some people live more in ten years than others do in fifty."

I can't remember where it comes from, but I like it. And it's true.
Cheery

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Cheery wrote:
"Living long isn't always the better way. It doesn't work like that. Some people live more in ten years than others do in fifty."

I can't remember where it comes from, but I like it. And it's true.

Here are a few more for you on similar lines:

"Measurement of life should be proportioned rather to the intensity of the experience than to its actual length". - Thomas Hardy

"It is not the years in your life but the life in your years that counts". - Adlai Stevenson

"One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum". - Walter Scott

"It's not the years but the mileage". - Penfold
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Have you ever seen Raiders of the Lost Ark Penfold? Indy says almost exactly the same "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage." :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm

HOC EST VIVERE BIS VITA POSSE PRIORI FRUI
I think it means "it is to live twice, to enjoy with satisfaction the retrospect of our past life."
:wink:
from the Roman poet Martial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm

I saw the film years ago when it first came out. I don't remember the line specifically, but it's probably where I got it from. I tend to do that sort of thing - hear something, forget about it, - and then years later have it come back to me out of the blue. I started using the expression after I turned 40 (six years ago), thinking I was being original.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:14 am

Penfold wrote:I saw the film years ago when it first came out. I don't remember the line specifically, but it's probably where I got it from. I tend to do that sort of thing - hear something, forget about it, - and then years later have it come back to me out of the blue. I started using the expression after I turned 40 (six years ago), thinking I was being original.
Penfold, if you click the Image in Cheery's post, it will automatically do the quote for you. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:29 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Penfold wrote:I saw the film years ago when it first came out. I don't remember the line specifically, but it's probably where I got it from. I tend to do that sort of thing - hear something, forget about it, - and then years later have it come back to me out of the blue. I started using the expression after I turned 40 (six years ago), thinking I was being original.
Penfold, if you click the Image in Cheery's post, it will automatically do the quote for you. :wink:

Wow, still learning :shock: but I always consider that a day where I haven't learnt something new is somewhat wasted! Thanks again Tony :)
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 am

It took me ages to work these things out. :) I started off my Internet life on a forum where you didn't dare ask questions. Once you get the hang of these codes you'll find yourself just typing them rather than using the shortcut buttons.

You can quote someone who hasn't posted - like from a book by typing
Code: Select all
[quote="Bruce Forsythe"]Nice to see you, to see you nice![/quote]

Which comes out like this:
Bruce Forsythe wrote:Nice to see you, to see you nice!
:wink:
Tonyblack

Postby And » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:50 am

My fridge magnets say "Organised people are just too lazy to look for things." -needless to say I do jobs which require very good organisational skills (!) and "Dull women have immaculate homes".

I don't quite subscribe to the latter - my mother's house was immaculate but she certainly wasn't dull. But she was exceptional...

About 35 years ago I was sent a card which read "Life, like any other gift, derives its value from use alone." I think the quote was by Samuel Johnson but I've never been able to trace it and the card has long vanished with the years.
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
And

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 am

My grandma put it on the fridge too, but I didn't remember the word before :oops: I gave her another one that says "I don't love you for what you are, but for who I am when I'm with you" because it's perfect for the two of us. I like being with her. I wish I could stay with her more, I went to her house much more when I had a car :(
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 am

Cat: It's better to live one hour as a tiger, than a whole lifetime as a worm.

Rimmer: Who ever heard of a worm skin rug?
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bob

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 am

I have this on a t-shirt, "LARGE ET MAGUS VICEUNT" which roughly translated means beer makes the magic better.

Ach well a midgie in the hand is worth twa up yir kilt. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum