What Prezzies Did Santa Bring you?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:39 pm

AM wrote:I got seven Pratchett books. :D and I have already finished two of them. But I don´t know if that is a good thing or not.... 8)

Wow did you get the books this Christmas or last Christmas AM :lol: . I get critisized for not reading enough books and here's you rattling two off in a day. :oops:

I'm very impressed AM 8)
Morty

Postby janet » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Not a book at all for me but a new Walkman already loaded with many of my favourite albums. Never before was the Christmas scran prepared so happily and with such good grace, listening to fab music in my own little world :D :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby swreader » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:42 am

We've had a wonderful Christmas today-- just the two of us and the two cats. (Although things got a little tense when Emily - my cat-- tried to join Dad & Victoria for a nap. Victoria, like her namesake "was not amused.")

We both got each other special recordings. And Tony got me the rest of the Helene Hanff books. We have thoroughly enjoyed reading aloud to each other ALL of The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street. That book is something which Americans (and other non UK types) can enjoy. Tony, speaking for the Brits, says it's fun to see London and Brits through American eyes. And Helene is such a marvellous writer that you feel as if you're with her.

In case some of you don't know - Helene Hanff wrote 84, Charing Cross Road - a collection of letters between herself and the people at Mark & Co. who sent her special books from about 1947 through 1969. She became special friends with the people there, but especially with Frank Doel (her primary correspondent). She kept expecting to go to London to meet them all, but Frank died in 1969 before she got there. The book is wonderful, and the movie (staring Anne Bancroft and Sir Anthony Hopkins) is marvellous.

The Duchess is the account of her long awaited first visit to London in 1971--the account of a visit by a true Anglophile. By that time she had fans all over the world and had an incredible "fairytale" time doing booksignings, interviews, visiting with fans, having her portrait painted--the trip was truly incredible.

Tony made marvellous linguini al fredo and we had steamed green beans for our Christmas Dinner with apple-nut bread and ginger ice cream for desert.

A marvellous time was had all day.
swreader

Postby AM » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:28 am

Morty wrote:
AM wrote:I got seven Pratchett books. :D and I have already finished two of them. But I don´t know if that is a good thing or not.... 8)

Wow did you get the books this Christmas or last Christmas AM :lol: . I get critisized for not reading enough books and here's you rattling two off in a day. :oops:

I'm very impressed AM 8)

I got them this Christmas (2009, 24 December) :D Since they are so good it is very hard to let go of them.

But to be honest, one of the books was the screenplay of The Fifth Elephant and that one has just got 108 pages :wink:
"Oh, please sue the University! We´ve got a pond full of people who tried to sue the University...! Going Postal
AM

Postby Quark » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:42 pm

kick-ass new PC with a humungous hard drive memory and a lovely fast processor that even the housemate can't bugger up and think it's taking too long to load up

Lucky you. I have to save up a bit more for mine :(. Processor speed?

I got three Discworld novels! :D Perhaps I am a little more initiated now. Have to say, didn't like Mort much.
Last edited by Quark on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quark

Postby Morty » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Quark wrote:

Have to say, didn't like Mort much.

Humph....Thanks Pal what did I do to upset you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mort(y)
Morty

Postby Quark » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:31 pm

The book, not you, milord! *panics at the prospect of a forum-based beating*
Quark

Postby Morty » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Quark wrote:The book, not you, milord! *panics at the prospect of a forum-based beating*

Ha Ha....No chance Quark I PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a very Happy New Year.
Morty.
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Quark wrote:The book, not you, milord! *panics at the prospect of a forum-based beating*

You can say what you like about Morty, nobody'll beat you up. :lol:

But if you say bad things about "Mort", you might get beaten up. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:40 pm

i hate bullies :lol: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:50 pm

me and the boss have just bought our joint present a 50in telly, my god its big :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Not bigger than Troy surely? :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:42 am

yes it is :lol: :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:12 am

Morty wrote:

I'm very impressed AM 8)

:shock: :shock: You ate them....... :lol:
I get told off for reading too much :shock: and i can only finish one book in 2 weeks if its Pratchett.

Why does everyone keep going on about troy? Who is he?*kicks self in shins for being ignorant(ie. only knowing the square root of 5 but not how to open a door)* :oops: :lol:
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Quark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 am

I get told off for reading too much and i can only finish one book in 2 weeks if its Pratchett.

I'm glad I don't. When I'm not on my computer, I'm reading constantly!
Unfortunately, my reading speed is approximately 1 book per day, and as a result of the ratio of that to the number of times I get a new book... I'm also re-reading constantly. Another reason why I like Discworld novels :lol: .

I must also second your question about Troy. Who is this mysterious individual? :shock:
Quark

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum