Christmas presents....What have you been buying and for whom

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:12 am

Morty wrote:
Just in case there are any serious ramblers on the forum I can assure you my mate is an experianced walker and if he thinks the conditions are too bad we don't even consider setting off. If he thinks its on we give it a go but if he sees me struggling he won't let me carry on.

I'll post a picture when we get back and I'll be honest about how far I get.
As a "serious rambler" ( :wink: ) I'm very glad to hear it, Morty. Walking is an incredible activity and vastly underrated (in my opinion). Have a great time. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:46 am

Thank you for your message of support Tony.
I'll do my best :wink:

Merry Christmas to you and Sharlene.
Morty

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Morty wrote:
Just in case there are any serious ramblers on the forum I can assure you my mate is an experianced walker and if he thinks the conditions are too bad we don't even consider setting off. If he thinks its on we give it a go but if he sees me struggling he won't let me carry on.

I'll post a picture when we get back and I'll be honest about how far I get.
As a "serious rambler" ( :wink: ) I'm very glad to hear it, Morty. Walking is an incredible activity and vastly underrated (in my opinion). Have a great time. :D

I MADE IT TO THE TOP :lol: .

I’m aching from head from foot but proved that having a stroke does not mean you have to give up on life :lol: :lol:

Setting off :oops:

About half way up.

Nearly there.

The Tower comes into view.

Disability ...What disability :roll: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

After hauling myself to the top the view was a bit disappointing but the next picture is a view of Manchester and luckily and as promised you can clearly make out Dotsie’s house :lol: :lol: :lol:

And finally the price of a Christmas tree that I didn’t buy will go to a charity. Your suggestions as to which one would be appreciated.

Morty.
Back at Base Camp Zero in Manchester.
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:34 pm

*Applauds*

Congratulations Morty! Disabilities are designed to make you prove what you CAN do not what you CAN'T. :wink:

I always remember arriving at the top of Sugarloaf Mountain near Abergavenny and finding a guy there already who only had one leg. :D

I walk as a way of keeping my depression under control, but the sense of achievement and the connection to nature are things that make the effort well worth while.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:13 pm

Congrats Morty! It looks beautiful up there and I'm glad you made it to the top :D
Phoenix

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Phoenix wrote:Congrats Morty! It looks beautiful up there and I'm glad you made it to the top :D

Thanks Phoenix and Tony,

I still need suggestions for a deserving charity and if possible I'd like it go to a charity that the majority of the forum members agree on.

I'm thinking that a donation to help Alzheimer's sufferers would be appropiate but would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who was suffering personally or had a loved one who was suffering.

Phoenix your post meant an awful lot to me......Thank you :oops:
Morty

Postby Batty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Well done, Morty! Image
Pretty soon you'll be Image ...

Happy Christmas!

Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Well done Morty - and they say exercise is also good with helping you get proper sleep too, so maybe you'll be feeling more benefits later! :D

Alzheimer's sounds good to me - I haven't had direct caring experience of someone with the illness, as such but my great aunt and uncle both had different versions of dementia and my dad had memory problem these last couple of months so I know how distressing it is to have someone you knew as sharp and witty suddenly unable to recognise you or make themselves understood - and so frustrating for them as well. And well done again! :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote: And well done again! :D

Well done again......Why what have I done......PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

First vote for Alzheimer's but I'm hoping a few others will make their opinion known.

Best wishes,
Bugger I've forgotten again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Way to go Morty! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:49 am

Thanks Pooh and Batty....

It felt good at the top.
It felt good when I got back to the car.
It felt good when I got home and had a cup of hot coffee in my hand.

I just hope it feels as good in the morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby chuckie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:44 am

Well done Morty, that's a fantastic achievement. :D
As for a charity my suggestion would be a local hospice or a charity to help stroke victims.(that's local to you, not me)
hope the rest of your christmas was as enjoyable.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Morty » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:12 pm

After much deliberation I have a plan 8)

A plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Image

I reckon a fair price for a Christmas tree would be £40.00. Due to the stroke I am currently living on benefits and can’t afford to give £40.00 in one go. Therefore the plan is to donate £10.00 to each of the following charities over the next week 8 weeks

Oxfam
Stroke
Alzheimers
NSPCC

My Mother was a victim of alzheimer’s, my Father died from a stroke, I have three daughters and a grandson and in comparison to some people in the world I live in luxury. With all this in mind I think the £40.00 spread equally to each of the charities is the fairest solution.

Thanks to everyone who wished me well and then congratulated me on completing the walk. It’s funny I have no recollection of seeing a train at the top of the hill so I’m finding it hard to understand why I feel like I’ve been hit by one this morning :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morty.
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:09 pm

:lol: Bloody train - always turn up late or when you're not expecting them. That seems like a good spread of your tree savings Morty :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:45 pm

sorry i ve been quiet last few days rosanna s 84 yr old father fell on the ice and broke his hip on the 24th so when youve finished with the crutch morty give us a lend :shock:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum