Christmas presents....What have you been buying and for whom

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Dandelion wrote:Me mum gets some home-made cookies. Wife and I don't do presents for each other at christmas. We'd rather give each other some things during the course of the year, when we see something the other might like.

Not much Christmas spirit in this household :twisted: Not even a tree...

Wouldn't it be fun to see that "Chrstmas Spirit" - caring about others and suchlike, especially the poor and downtrodden - all year round and not only once a year? It's a bit like Mother's Day - surely Mum loves it, when she gets flowers and a Dinner invitation ONCE a year, and has to do the chores (without thanks and flowers) for the other 364 days..

And the prize for best reply to this thread goes to Dandelion.
Hear Hear Sir I’m in total agreement with you 8)

No Christmas tree in this apartment either but that is largely down to a young and MENTAL cat who would trash it within hours :evil:

I’m planning a sponsored walk just for me.
Over the last few weeks my doctor has told me I’m not well. He has given me a list of things I can and can’t do :twisted: :twisted:

If I was a normal person and took his advice to the letter I would have wrapped myself up in cotton wool balls and gone to bed until spring :oops:

I’m sure it will come as no surprise to this forum that I am a very long way removed from being normal :evil: :evil: :evil:

I already had this idea in mind but reading Dandelions post has spurred me on.

On Christmas Day I am going to walk to the top of a local spot.

Yes Manchester does have beauty spots as I’m sure Dotsie will confirm :wink:

Ok at 1100 feet above sea level I’m not expecting to get into The Guinness Book of Records and not too worried about encountering an unfriendly Yeti but as my Doctor tells me the local shop is too far then that’s a challenge to authority and right up my street :x :x :x

If I make it I will donate the price of a Christmas tree to an organization who will make sure it goes to the poor and downtrodden. (So that’ll mean it will come back to me then :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Thanks for inspiring me Dandelion and a very Merry Christmas to you.

Best wishes
Sir Edmund Hillary in Manchester and in training :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Good luck with the walk Morty! I've found that getting out and getting exercise can cure a whole lot of ills - apart from which it generally makes you feel better in yourself.

Sorry you are unwell - best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:39 pm

i know what its like to have the occasional ache and pain morty, so take it easy and look after yourself :)

and as an afterword coz she will never see this ive also bought the boss a 1963 omega ladies dress watch and yes i am a toyboy :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:15 pm

chris.ph wrote:i know what its like to have the occasional ache and pain morty, so take it easy and look after yourself :)

and as an afterword coz she will never see this ive also bought the boss a 1963 omega ladies dress watch and yes i am a toyboy :lol:
You mean bugger! Couldn't you at least buy her a new one. :lol: :P :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:03 pm

I don't have that many to buy to so I've probably given each one far too many gifts - and spent way too much money....again :oops:
But each present is carefully planned, and I really try to think of what everyone might enjoy the most.
There's lots of pictures of the wee man under the grandparents tree, and my two best friends are getting some very nostalic dvds.
Am sooooo looking forward to seeing my boyfriends face when he gets the trip to Dublin :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:Yes Manchester does have beauty spots as I’m sure Dotsie will confirm :wink:

Absolutely it does :D Take care on that walk :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Morty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:Yes Manchester does have beauty spots as I’m sure Dotsie will confirm :wink:

Absolutely it does :D Take care on that walk :wink:

I know that Manchester would look even more beautiful on Christmas Day if it turned out to be a White Christmas but attempting such a walk on crutches and on snow might be a tad too much.

I think the Ambulance Crews and the Paramedics do a wonderful job but I have no wish to discover how good they are by actually needing their help on Christmas Day.

I would like to point out that if and when I get the chance to prove to myself that anything is possible if you put your mind to it I will be accompanied by two friends who are more than capable of getting me back to the car if needed.

When I've made it I'll post a picture of Manchester from the top.

No getting out of this one now!
Morty

Postby Trish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:08 am

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:
Dandelion wrote:Me mum gets some home-made cookies. Wife and I don't do presents for each other at christmas. We'd rather give each other some things during the course of the year, when we see something the other might like.

Not much Christmas spirit in this household :twisted: Not even a tree...

Wouldn't it be fun to see that "Chrstmas Spirit" - caring about others and suchlike, especially the poor and downtrodden - all year round and not only once a year? It's a bit like Mother's Day - surely Mum loves it, when she gets flowers and a Dinner invitation ONCE a year, and has to do the chores (without thanks and flowers) for the other 364 days..

And the prize for best reply to this thread goes to Dandelion.
Hear Hear Sir I’m in total agreement with you 8).

Me, too.

This "share the Season" noise is never about true charity, it's about allowing people feel better about themselves.
So, where are they in February or July --aren't there actual needy people then, too.
Last edited by Trish on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trish

Postby Trish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:13 am

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:No Christmas tree in this apartment either but that is largely down to a young and MENTAL cat who would trash it within hours :evil:

Been there, had that cat, hung tinsel on the ficus.
Trish

Postby Dr Theobald » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:48 pm

I bought a few computer/ audio nik-naks for my son - but not a lot because he gets his rewards by me and his mum paying his Uni costs (and flights because it is in the USA - which is definitely not cheap)

Bought a few things for my mum & dad - problem being what DO you buy for parents aged 92 who do not actually want anything?

TRIED HARD to buy a Christmas present for my Mrs. TWICE we have spent most of the day "in town" traipsing from shop to shop but with nothing taking her fancy. Giving up I gave her a substantially "loaded" pre-pay Mastercard and sent her shopping on her own. She has been twice now - and STILL has not found anything she wants.

SO - it may well be a surprise. I have no idea what of course. Cant be clothes or the like because a mere male will get that all wrong. Make up - ditto. Not into things like phones or iPods. She has just done the pamper day at the health farm.

Ideas welcome !

Demented Dr T
Dr Theobald

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:28 am

I've finished my Christmas shopping and making now :D Seven beaded stars/snowflakes, three beaded bauble covers, two bracelets and a pair of earrings later and I've decided I really need to start earlier next year :wink:

I do agree that it's a shame the 'Christmas spitit' isn't put into practice all year round, but I also have fond memories of Christmas. Although my family is quite small, we have quite varying tastes, so when I was younger it was often hard for us to find things for all of us to do at once for various reasons... but Christmas was the one time of year where we spent the whole day doing the same things :)
Phoenix

Postby Cheery » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

I couldn't really go christmas shopping, still have to stay at home until the 4th january :( (well, I can bend the rules for new year a bit :wink: )

I have some presents already, but the rest I bought on the internet. It'll all come after christmas, but at least I'll have presents for everyone.

So, what did I get... For my brother I ordered an Unseen Academicals T-Shirt with Rincewind's name on the back (his fav character), my mum's boyfriend gets a Vimes miniature (same reason) and for my dad I got an "anthill inside" badge for his computer (He's only read one book, but I think he'll like it). I got my mum a book (she's asked for two; I'll pay one, my brother the other), my uncle gets one of those squeaky ducks (it looks like elvis) and my sister can choose one of my teddy bears. She's always liked them.

I still have no idea what I'll get. :) Can't wait to find out.
Cheery

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Phoenix wrote:I've finished my Christmas shopping and making now :D Seven beaded stars/snowflakes, three beaded bauble covers, two bracelets and a pair of earrings later and I've decided I really need to start earlier next year :wink:

I do agree that it's a shame the 'Christmas spitit' isn't put into practice all year round, but I also have fond memories of Christmas. Although my family is quite small, we have quite varying tastes, so when I was younger it was often hard for us to find things for all of us to do at once for various reasons... but Christmas was the one time of year where we spent the whole day doing the same things :)
Ah! Phoenix where was the turtle dove Ok you may not have an easy time getting a pear tree.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Phoenix » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:50 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Ah! Phoenix where was the turtle dove Ok you may not have an easy time getting a pear tree.Image

:lol: Ah, well I haven't worked out how to make either of those yet :wink: Give me some time with some wire and beads and maybe next year they'll be added to the list! :P
Phoenix

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:04 am

Its nearly 4.00am on Christmas day and my walking companion has just left to get some sleep.
Providing it doesn't rain over the next few hours the walk to the top of the hill is on.
I'm going to give it my best shot and whatever happens I'll get a picture from as high as I can get.

I don't have a sleep pattern at the moment and I'm so looking forward to the walk I can't see me getting to sleep before my friend comes to pick me up. as neither of us trust a weather forecast a final decision will be made when he gets to my place sometime in the morning.

Just in case there are any serious ramblers on the forum I can assure you my mate is an experianced walker and if he thinks the conditions are too bad we don't even consider setting off. If he thinks its on we give it a go but if he sees me struggling he won't let me carry on.

I'll post a picture when we get back and I'll be honest about how far I get.
Morty

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum