Christmas presents....What have you been buying and for whom

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Christmas presents....What have you been buying and for whom

Postby Morty » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:03 am

With Christmas less than two weeks away I’m curious to know if the global recession has taken away the Christmas spirit.

What’s the most expensive present you’ve brought and who’s the lucky recipient?
Morty

Postby Lord Ponsamby-Smyth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:55 pm

For Dr Theobald, I have got a video of Mott the Hoople singing "Roll away the stones", "I love the "sha la la la push push" sung in the background.

I dont want to steal the thunder of this thread, (appologies to Mortimer)but if you did have to buy something for someone on the forum what would you buy and whom for.
Back in da house....
Lord Ponsamby-Smyth

Postby Phoenix » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:30 pm

I don't think I've spent more than £10 ish on an individual present, but some people are getting more than one! I'm making quite a few presents this year, so they're more time-expensive than money-expensive. A couple of the beaded bauble decorations I've made have taken several hours each and hopefully that counts more than spending lots of money!
Phoenix

Postby Morty » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Phoenix wrote:I don't think I've spent more than £10 ish on an individual present, but some people are getting more than one! I'm making quite a few presents this year, so they're more time-expensive than money-expensive. A couple of the beaded bauble decorations I've made have taken several hours each and hopefully that counts more than spending lots of money!

In my opinion Phoenix you have retained the true meaning of Christmas. It's the thought that's important not the cost.

Merry Christmas.

Lord PS.....You haven't stolen any thunder......Your idea is a welcome addition.
So what ya gettin me :P

Hint......Think Gibson Robot Guitar
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:40 pm

I'd buy a Teflon pan for Lord P coz nothing sticks to it. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I'd buy a Teflon pan for Lord P coz nothing sticks to it. :lol:

LMAO Teflon Pon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sending meself to my baby sister and her hubby in Rhode Island. Then, when I get back, I am going to file court papers and force that bitch ex-daughter-in-law to GIVE me visitation rights for my grandchildren and give them their pressies. :twisted:

Nothing really changed in my gift giving since I wound up on Disability. Had to really pare it down 5 years ago when I took my $60,000/year pay cut. :shrug: It is, what it is... doing ok and my head is well above the tideline. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:41 am

well just brought the wife a £366 bracelet thats the most ive ever spent on a xmas pressie she better like it lol but all her other arnt more than £30 each still shes cost me over £500 this year :(
The_Discworldaholic

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 am

As I mentioned on another thread, I just bought myself a proof copy of Unseen Academicals as a joint xmas/birthday prezzie. It cost 260 pounds inc. postage, but I look at it as an investment for my children. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 am

Me & Mr D have a £50 limit on presents, we always have. Which means I've already had my pressie from him, cos he bought me an ipod for my birthday.

Don't mind though, he'll be at home for a full 11 days, which is better than a present :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:32 pm

ive bought myself an estwing brick hammer for £35, a laptop bag, several books and lots of lager :D

ive bought her a set of nice paint brushes :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:33 pm

i will tell you lot what ive really bought her after chrimbo :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:59 pm

chris.ph wrote:ive bought myself an estwing brick hammer for £35, a laptop bag, several books and lots of lager :D

ive bought her a set of nice paint brushes :lol: :lol:

Brought her a nice set of paint brushes.......Howled with Laughter!
You're a funny guy Chris not sure you'll be a funny married guy for long but very funny.

I'm a Time served Carpenter and Joiner by trade. 37 Years ago I brought an Estwing Claw Hammer and its still looking good. As I'm sure you can appreciate I used it almost everyday of my working life.

Not sure what will need replacing first the paint brushes or the missus but the you're safe with the Estwing!.....Providing she doesn't crack you over the head with it when she opens her prezzie.

Boy would I like to be a fly on your wall!

Happy Hammering!
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:02 pm

I can't possibly comment what I've been buying - for obvious reasons. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:40 am

chris.ph wrote:ive bought myself an estwing brick hammer for £35

OMG The Estwing company is based in Rockford IL, twelve miles North of my cabin!!!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dandelion » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Me mum gets some home-made cookies. Wife and I don't do presents for each other at christmas. We'd rather give each other some things during the course of the year, when we see something the other might like.

Not much Christmas spirit in this household :twisted: Not even a tree...

Wouldn't it be fun to see that "Chrstmas Spirit" - caring about others and suchlike, especially the poor and downtrodden - all year round and not only once a year? It's a bit like Mother's Day - surely Mum loves it, when she gets flowers and a Dinner invitation ONCE a year, and has to do the chores (without thanks and flowers) for the other 364 days..
Fabricati Diem, Pvnk!
Dandelion

Next

Return to The Broken Drum