Pratchett's books and travel writing

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Pratchett's books and travel writing

Postby thidien » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi @ll :)

I was just wondering..
if it's possible to call any of Terry's books as fictional travel writing?
I have to [ :( ] write about travel writing, but I don't want to write about non-fiction.

I thought about "The colour of magic" or "Witches Abroad".

Can anyone help me?

:)
thidien

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi there Thidien :)

Witches Abroad would qualify as a travelogue of sorts - we have a discussion thread for it HERE which may give you some lines to follow up.

CoM and Light Fantastic are also travelogues from Twoflower's perspective too :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:39 pm

I would have thought Witches Abroad in particular was a good example of fictional travel writing. But I think the ultimate fictional journey would be Lord of the Rings. If you haven't read it, maybe better to stick to WA, LOTR is too long to get through in a weekend :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:43 pm

One of the main uses of Rincewind has been to explore the Disc. Terry can and does send the luckless wizzard off to far corners (if a Disc has corners). In some recent books he's used Sam Vimes to explore. I'm thinking of Thud! and 5th Elephant in particular. :)
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Return to The Broken Drum