Pratchett's books and travel writing

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Pratchett's books and travel writing

Postby thidien » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi @ll :)

I was just wondering..
if it's possible to call any of Terry's books as fictional travel writing?
I have to [ :( ] write about travel writing, but I don't want to write about non-fiction.

I thought about "The colour of magic" or "Witches Abroad".

Can anyone help me?

:)
thidien

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi there Thidien :)

Witches Abroad would qualify as a travelogue of sorts - we have a discussion thread for it HERE which may give you some lines to follow up.

CoM and Light Fantastic are also travelogues from Twoflower's perspective too :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:39 pm

I would have thought Witches Abroad in particular was a good example of fictional travel writing. But I think the ultimate fictional journey would be Lord of the Rings. If you haven't read it, maybe better to stick to WA, LOTR is too long to get through in a weekend :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:43 pm

One of the main uses of Rincewind has been to explore the Disc. Terry can and does send the luckless wizzard off to far corners (if a Disc has corners). In some recent books he's used Sam Vimes to explore. I'm thinking of Thud! and 5th Elephant in particular. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Return to The Broken Drum