What is my IP address

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What is my IP address

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:20 am

This might turn out to be interesting. I used to use this site when I was a moderator on a forum to check for duplicate memberships. If you click on this link

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

It will take you a website that will automatically recognise your IP address it will also show you a map and tell you where it thinks you live.

Apparently in the middle of the night my flat all the contents including me and my cat were moved 20 away in a northerly direction.

How close are you your home town or city.
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 am

It's got me on the wrong side of Tokyo bay, in Yokohama. Maybe 30 miles away.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Kladivo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 am

The chances are, you've got a dynamic IP that is being assigned every time you connect to internet but this one does not represent you to the 'outside' - the open and wild Internet and is only identifiable within your ISP sub-network. The system will probably trace only as far as your nearest static IP, which would be assigned to your ISP's hub of sort.
That'd be my guess anyway...
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby AgnesOgg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:25 am

I got me in Drammen, which is about 450km from Bergen :(
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

It's got me in Groningen spot on (not the right street though) :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 pm

It's got me in the city centre ish! about 9 miles out almost neigbhours with the royalty. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:It's got me in the city centre ish! about 9 miles out almost neigbhours with the royalty. :lol:

Are you telling us you live close to Lord Ponsamby- Smyth :lol:
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm in Plymouth apparently - about 30 miles out but only just on the opposite bank of the Tamar so not bad. And I did live there as a kid. :lol:

IPs are useful for identifying 'dupers' on forums if there's an issue on people using more than one account (it's a nasty habit in some places as the people who do this invariably turn out to be bullies in some shape or form). A lot of those who do show up are spam-bots and are just a minor nuisance as they register and then never post at all.

On my last 2 sites I'm an admin so I use this site where you use the person's email addy which picks most automatic fakers up, but the 'real' dupers I've known - one woman had 11 different accounts :roll: most of them simultaneously on the same site, all of them with a high post rate and once you knew what she was up to you could see who it was, just from the style of posts.

She was permanently banned, blocked and had all her account zapped (very unusual). She then turned up on our site (not the new one) and came clean on the duping side when our overseer spotted her MO and promised to be good. She didn't dupe but she drove the rest of us crazy with her crappy posts and then blotted her copybook yet again by plagiarising an article and trying to pass it off as her own. Last I heard of her she was adminning on yet another site and still posting other people's work without naming sources :evil:

The thing I really hated her for was putting one of my best online friends through the mill when she was duping - she pretended to be a newbie and asked Fee (who was mentoring her) a load of dumbass questions that she knew the answers to very well in order to make her latest ID 'authentic :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 pm

But if Morty is using multi characters, they are all funny, so who cares if he is (which of course he isn't)?
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Jan,

I wish I’d known about the site you used to use very cool 8) . My IP address hardly ever changes despite it being a dynamic IP address but my location changes regularly.
I know it’s not that accurate but I thought it would be fun to see if it managed to get anyone spot on. So far it only seems to have been correct once but still not managed to get the correct street.

I’m now thinking it will more fun to see who gets placed furthest away from their home town :oops:
Morty

Postby Jason » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:39 pm

It puts mine in the middle of a roundabout in Basingstoke about 20 miles away.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi Jan

So far it has AgnesOgg 450 km’s away from where she really lives and You and Poohcarrot both 30 miles out. Surely no one is going to beat 450km’s are they.

Best wishes

Terry Pratchett.....Oh Bugger :oops:
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:Best wishes

Terry Pratchett.....Oh Bugger :oops:

:lol: You can't possibly be TP because you make too many spelling mistakes! :lol:

Best wishes

Jan Van Quirm....Oh bollux!
Last edited by poohcarrot on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:49 pm

According to Daniel in my office, who's 21 and knows about these things, the reason I appear to be located just outside Northampton, when in reality I'm in the City of London, is because that's where my Server is located.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 pm

But my server is located on this side of Tokyo Bay, about 15 miles away. :?
poohcarrot

Next

Return to The Broken Drum