R.I.P Edward Woodward

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

R.I.P Edward Woodward

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Well Callan, the Wicker Man, Breaker Morant and Equalizer finally died in the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro today. He was 79 and had suffered from heart disease for decades.

I was allowed to stay up and watch Callan when I was about 10 and he was sort of my first young adult serious real-life crush (as opposed to silly pop stars, cowboy and fantasy heroes types). I remember that series for all kinds of reasons, but mostly because of the opening music and credits which were very simple and symbolic - a dimly lit room with a brighter light bulb hanging down that is shot out and then you just see the broken light swinging back and forth - simple and brilliant (I'm a graphic designer remember so impressed by these sorts of things :oops: :P ). This went with the role as Callan was 'the spy who got locked out in the cold' a govt-licenced killer but with the odd flash of compassion.

It was his eponymous role in Equalizer that possibly gave him his biggest success as it was a huge hit in the USA, but by that time he was ill and had almost died before starting that role and why he never really consolidated on his movie successes in Wicker Man and Breaker Morant.

He was a fine actor and he will be missed. RIP Edward. :(
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:52 pm

just saw this on yahoo news

rip edward :(
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:17 pm

I remember the lightbulb swinging in the opening credits of 'Callan'.
It is s till one of the best opening sequences that I've ever seen.

R.I.P. Edward. :cry:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Very sad news. :(

I used to love Callan and Wicker Man is one of the great movies.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Callan was my favourite and The Wicker Man still frightens the bejayzus out of me. Such a fine actor and he'll be sorely missed. Come to think of it Jan, I must have had a crush on him too.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:31 pm

The only thing I've seen Edward Woodward in was Hot Fuzz - I must admit I did see a scene from WM - and it made me feel queasy so I doubt I'd watch the rest of it...

But he was BRILLIANT in Hot Fuzz and I am sorry to hear of his passing!

RIP Edward Woodward!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:52 pm

He had a lot of presence did Edward and when he was younger he was the epitome of the chiselled strong-spirited man of few words, but brave actions. :wink:

Wicker Man is one of those films where there's very little that's actually truly scary in a visual sense - until the final part which was just terrifying. Everything else is in your head and the suspense was notched up so well that you didn't really see the ending coming. I only saw it once but I still remember it pretty well. Callan however was just pure brilliance with its intense writing and the non-verbal undercurrents were really well-done - the script was sometimes unneeded the acting by Woodward and the rest of the cast was that good.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Loved the Wickerman (the Britt Eckland dancing bit in particular).

Bye.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:31 am

Was always too scared to watch the Wickerman, but I loved Hot Fuzz. All those big names really added something special.

RIP Edward.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Return to The Broken Drum