Calling all you wise souls...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Calling all you wise souls...

Postby raspberry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi everyone!

Having one of those times at the minute where nothing seems to be going right, and my brain is full of worries I can't seem to shake. :|

I know you people all have experience of the rough and the smooth- I'd really appreciate some cheerful, positive thoughts to keep me going until this passes! Anything that works for you!

Thanks so much everyone.
R
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:19 pm

"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:21 pm

Watching some of my favourite comedy's generally helps.

Oh and reading Terry Pratchett helps.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:59 pm

If things are going bad, I tend to find that taking a break, putting your feet up with a good book and some good music and relaxing helps tremendously. It often seems like the problems are much simpler after letting your brain cool down.

*HUGS* :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Kladivo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:21 pm

Lemme see... If the problem's with family I resort to friends and if with friends than stick to family. If it's unrelated then pick and mix. There are some flaws though. Doesn't work much with aching teeth for example. There's a danger of family and friends teaming up against you as well. In my case once they did and I ended up married.

And then there's always a cup of favourite hot beverage, peace, quiet and sleep. And solving problems one at a time.
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby MattK » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:59 pm

Here's a song from one of my favorite bands that always cheers me up: It's A Wonderful Life

I agree with Kaldivo, most times I feel better just talking about the problem with someone. A nice walk is good to clear the head too.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:02 am

That was one pro to having a dog ... if I felt as if the world wasn't making sense I took him out and blew a few cobwebs and shouted at a few trees ... :lol: !
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 am

Sometimes, I have to slow down and take things one minute at a time. There is too much out there to handle all at once.

An example was very recent. I had pawned my favorite guitar and wedding ring set for some money to pay an ugly bill. With medical problems and tests going on and starting a type of back therapy which takes up three full days a week. I lost track of what day it was. On Friday evening I realized the date on my slip to get my items back had passed. I was devastated. I had to make myself calm down and wait and call on Saturday morning to see if I could work something out.

It took purposely putting all worries out of my mind using a "Breathe in good feelings, breathe out the negative" after about 15 min I calmed down and decided that whatever happened, happened. I was unable to affect the problem that moment so I had to put it into the right perspective.

It turned out to be ok, the shop owner said that in very tough times they give peeps an extra week to get heirlooms back.

Other times I would like to rely on friends, but I have a hard time making friends living out in the country, so I get online and "talk" that way. If you ever want to vent your troubles or feelings send me an email, I am here most of the time. lol in fact I am on here almost every single day.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby mspanners » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:07 am

Don't dwell on negatives, you will get depressed. I know as I had problems as a child after being run over in a Hit and run accident.

Try to look/focus on good things in your life no matter what your problems.

I have a Son who is recovering from Cancer at the moment, now Five weeks before He was diagnosed I was made redundant.

Now I could look at it as 'My god I have no job or income and My Son has a Major problem' but no.

The way I see it is now I have some time to share with Him and help Him through this and the cash I got from the redundancy will see us through this period, and see Him back to full Health.

And to be honest we have never been so close since He left Home, clouds do sometime have a Silver lining.

So chin up mate.....in the end things do eventually generally get better!
mspanners

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 am

Watching some of your favorite cartoons, or a long walk for a bit of piece and quiet and just think things will get better.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 am

What I'd do is write a list of 6 fun things you'd like to do this Saturday (either alone or with a friend) eg;

Go shopping in the Metro Centre for some new clothes
Go out for a nice meal
Go to the cinema
Have a day trip to Durham and row a boat on the Wear
Have a day trip to Bamburgh to see the castle and walk along the beach
Go on a pub crawl on the Quayside (starting at lunchtime)

Then give each option a number, shake a dice and do whatever the dice decides. (a la Luke Rhinehart).

Let fate decide your Saturday. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Good Idea Pooh, once you quit spinning in your cocoon of ick, let fate decide your choices. I like it. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:19 pm

lager and a cuban cigar :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

at least an hour to yourself, a hot bath, with your favourite music playing softly in the room, a glass of water or whatever you like next to you, the first 15 minutes with your eyes closed : the only goal in your mind should be to empty it, and for the rest of the time a good easy book, not too serious, something that can bring a smile out of you...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby AgnesOgg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:36 pm

Do something physical (I prefer to wash windows or clean out all the kitchen cabinets), to make your head kind of log off. After a couple of hours of hard work it is amazing how a solution to your problems present itself. And as a bonus you have clean windows :wink:
If that doesen`t work I use vodka and crisps.
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Next

Return to The Broken Drum